PDA

View Full Version : The Little Computer that Could: Cateye Micro (CC-6000)

Louis
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Every time I change the battery on this little thing (which is really not that often, but I just did it) I'm amazed by how it keeps on chugging. I'm on my second wiring harness, but other than an occasional sanding of the contacts (about every two years) the computer itself is great. I don't remember exactly how old it is, but it has to be around 10 years. The computer is now on its second frame, having outlasted my old Trek 400 (or was it a 410?). I have the original manual around here somewhere, but it was easier to download a copy from the Cateye web site. I used to do roll-out tests to get the tire circumference, but now I just plug in the number Cateye says to use for 700 x 25C tires (210).

To give credit where credit is due, this is one of those "if everything out there did its job as well as this, that would really be neat" products. It's now not the most modern computer on the road, but I love it just the same.

Louis

regularguy412
02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I have one of the original Cateye micro cyclocomputers. Now this is not one of the first Cateyes, that weighed about 2 pounds. This model came shortly after and included cadence. I've since cut the cadence senors off and only use the other computer functions. This model is circa 1989 and still going strong. It sees use on my trainer bike and on my tandem. I just keep putting batteries in and it keeps working.

Mike in AR

Climb01742
02-10-2009, 05:09 AM
i feel the same way about polar HR monitor watches. they just quietly, reliably keep going their job for years, no fuss, no muss.

dekindy
02-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I have had my Astrale 8 for 2.5 years and it has worked flawlessly and I have not even had to replace the battery. That includes riding during both winters and sitting inside an unheated garage. That is why I am hesitant to go wireless. It keeps on working with zero aggravation.

Remember when we used to just have an odometer mounted on the front fork.

rwsaunders
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I just sold a NIB unit that I wasn't using to a local fellow and I thought that he'd died and went to heaven. If I'm not mistaken, jghall might still have some left.