PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Lemond Zurich

97CSI
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Am looking at an '07 Lemond Zurich but can't find much info. Believe this was their top of the line bike in '07, but am wondering if it is OCLV fibers used in the Madone? Anyone know or have a link to any info on same? Thanks.

johnnymossville
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Great frames. I don't think the 2007/08 Zurich is OCLV though. Could be wrong. I know the ones before the newest version was OCLV though.

mandasol
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I believe the top of the line in 2007 was the Tete de Course or if it wasn't introduced yet then it was the Victoire. Lemond called their carbon technology Triomphe vs. OCLV used in Treks but they were probably developed by the same engineers. For the Tete de Course they developed a lighter and stiffer carbon called Triomphe Ultimate which I don't think was used on any other models. If you do searches for Lemond Triomphe Carbon a lot of information is still available. From what I can gather the Victoire, Zurich and Buenos Aires were the same frame just different components, dura ace, ultegra, and 105 respectively. The versaille was built with a slightly less dense carbon fiber so was just a little heavier, but still used the Triomphe technology.

Try to make sure the size fits. You're probably aware Lemonds have longer top tubes relative to their stated sizes. There are two Lemond geometry charts, one for their traditional horizontal top tubes and the sloping for the carbon frames. I have an older steel Lemond and looked into getting a carbon bike last year when everyone had them on fire sale. I'm kind of in between sizes (53,55), and even though I made it work with a longer stem on my 53 cm steel lemond I decided not to get one of the carbon bikes. Really nice bikes though.

97CSI
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks. I did find a couple of reviews. Appears that the Trek engineers that also did/do the Madone series did the Lemond designs, but under GL's direction. Not OCLV lay-up directly, but likely has lots of similar thinking. The light-weight model (Victoire) is stiffer due to using strictly the high-modulus fibers. Thus, the Zurich, with its mix of fibers, appears to be the best model for my type (longer distance at moderate speed) of riding. I'll be building it with a Centaur Century (gray) group and Proton wheels. Here is a pic of the frameset.

http://bikesport.com/page.cfm?pageID=118
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4096

Also had a lugged steel '89 Lemond (Bilatto). Bright red with yellow lettering. Terrific ride. Posted pic's here some time ago (years). Someone who worked for the importer down in FL thought he likely painted the bike, as he was their paint-guy back then.

JeffS
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
OT, but whoever the a-hole was that decided to remove Klein and Lemond information from the web needs a kick in the neck. I don't care what problems they're having with Greg, it was still a disservice to their past customers.