PDA

View Full Version : On eBay: Only $50,000 for a Greg LeMond Carbon Fiber WC Replica TVT #40 of 300

Frank
12-04-2004, 04:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=2291541783

Elefantino
12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
If it was a 62, I'd ... I'd ... looks some more.

Kevin
12-04-2004, 05:19 PM
$50,000?, somebody must be smoking crack.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
12-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Those Mavic cranks look so much like the new DA. . . they were very ahead of their time.

Jason

gasman
12-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Of course, even with a $3,900 opening bid he still has...no bids.
At $50K he must think Greg is way more popular than he really is, or he's stoned like Kevin says.

saab2000
12-04-2004, 05:40 PM
If I had that bike I would ride it. Looks sweet.

But not Fitty-Thou sweet.

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
. . . there is some fool out there with more money than brains who will end up buying this retro ugly lime green piece of cycling history.

But it ain’t me.

BBDave

dave thompson
12-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I wonder if, in some circles, the Mavic gruppo might be worth more than the frameset?

saab2000
12-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Kids,

While the price is ridiculous, this bike is a nice one. I have ridden a TVT and also Looks of the same vintage. They are sweet rides.

They may seem flexi, but the one I rode just danced up hills and seemed very lively.

They were the choice of several Tour champs and were ridden into the '90s by some top riders. Big Mig himself rode these bad boys.

I would enjoy a bike like this in my collection. But $50,000 is sheer madness. It would not be worth even near that much if it were the actual bike on which Greg won his 3rd World Championship. Don't forget that he was junior world champ, too...... His achievements are nearly forgotten today, in the shadow of Lance. But that is another story altogether.

I will be curious to see if anyone comes up with the cash for this fine steed. I would say that the first bid of $3,900 is closer to a real value for the bike, though even that is high.

Big Dan
12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Don't think 3900 is that high of a number for a documented bike like that. Now the LA fans that are still upset that Greg told the truth about the mighty doctor wouldn't buy it. How many people paid more for those ugly yellow Trek that they were selling??...lime green..yellow...both ugly... :crap:

Bill Bove
12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
I never owned one, too rich for my blood even with my employee discount. But while I was working at Ten Speed Drive I got to ride that model frame many times and I can tell you that at the time that was a sweet, sweet ride. But todays bikes are just better. As comfortable but not as whippy and way better finish work. Use the 50k for a down payment on a house or your grand kids education. I'm with DBRK on this one, no matter how good they are, some bikes are just too expensive.

GoJavs
12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
With Lance still winning TDFs like they are out of style, LeMond is a little bit out in the dark right now. If I were the guy, I'd wait. Everything becomes hip again at some point. Don't think now's LeMond's time.

toaster
12-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Please note that it sold originally for $3600 in 1990. I think it's agreed that this is a collectable due to the limited edition number of 300 and the claim that this #40 has never been ridden.

Greg LeMond is alive and well and the 1989 Tour is history. Lance Armstrong is the new king of the Tour de France and in the future a LA limited edition bike will be of greater value.

I'm no expert but I'd guess you might take the original price and give it an investment return of a very generous 10% per year which adds up to little over $13,500 and still that's way too much.

If I really wanted it as a piece of history or just really wanted to show it off and never ride it hoping it would be someday worth some real big money I'd pay between $7,500 and $9,500 if the bidding somehow even goes anywhere near $5,000 and I actually had lots of money and love for Greg LeMond.

Somebody will buy it for just over $4,000 is my guess.

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2004, 07:00 PM
I think you’re probably right. I also think that $50k buy it now price was probably not meant seriously--just a blue sky fishing price and if some idiot goes for it, well, then Hot Damn if you’re the seller!

As for YOU, Big Dan . . . Yellow--UGLY?!?!?! Them’s FIGHTIN’ WORDS, boy!!! ;)

GRRRR!!

BBDave

dave thompson
12-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Maybe a little perspective.. I wonder what a documented Tour stage winning LeMond, Merckx, Hinault, Armstrong ridden bike would actually be worth? $50,000? More? Less?

Frankly, I can't see the value of this 'replica' LeMond. They made 400 of them and that's a lot. I don't think it's even worth the original price paid, today. It's not historical in any way, merely a commemorative. To have been done really right, it should have been in the livery of LeMond's actual bike, not badged as a LeMond. That would have put some history with it.

Tom Byrnes
12-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Frankly, I can't see the value of this 'replica' LeMond. They made 400 of them and that's a lot. I don't think it's even worth the original price paid, today. It's not historical in any way, merely a commemorative. To have been done really right, it should have been in the livery of LeMond's actual bike, not badged as a LeMond. That would have put some history with it.

I will be surprised if there are any bids placed

dirtdigger88
12-04-2004, 08:10 PM
The buy it now price got us to talk about it- maybe it was just effective marketing

jason

GoJavs
12-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes, I am aware LeMond is alive (shook his hand a few years ago). But again, Armstrong (who I am not a huge fan of) has now eclipsed LeMond in the eyes of most of the cycling public. Only a select group of older/retro riders still recognize LeMond's huge contributions. That being said, I'd again recommend the guy put that thing back in storage and bringing it out in another 10 years....Maybe then, he might get serious coin for that.

For now, $5000 probably takes it.

[QUOTE=toaster] Greg LeMond is alive and well and the 1989 Tour is history. Lance Armstrong is the new king of the Tour de France and in the future a LA limited edition bike will be of greater value.

csm
12-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I have a set of those pedals... the time titanium magnesium pros
I also have a few of those tires somewhere... hardly used.
and I have that seatpost somewhere too. did anyone else notice that it seems to be a campy record or chorus from that generation? it is not the post in the ad that greg is holding up the bike. not exactly the "identically specced" bike. that alone would drop it's value, in my eyes anyway, to about $13.49. A figure that I arrived at purely by chance.
50K ha ha. although I would not be surprised to see it sell for some astronomical amount.

bostondrunk
12-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Suprised at the comments. At 3900, for a classic, new carbon frameset, brand new Mavic groupo, new old stock time ti pedals, etc., seems like a decent deal for someone who has the cash for an extra bike. Hell, thats chaeaper than a Legend frame/fork, no??

I'd love to have that bike......but I'm still trying to pay off that last case of beer.... :beer:

vaxn8r
12-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Forget the bid....did anyone catch that Lemond used a 54x39 crankset with a 12-20 freewheel?

I guess I used to race on 52X42 and a 11-21....but then I wasn't climbing in the Alps either.

I wonder if that's what Greg used to climb with. It is conceivable as he looked like much more of a masher compared to how LA tackles the mountains.

Kevan
12-06-2004, 08:05 AM
the guy over-tickled the ivories and meant $5k.

Zard
12-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Talking about Lemond and bikes, I wonder what ever happened to the red Botecchia (sp?) time trial bike Lemond rode to victory in Paris in '89? Was is really a Botechhia or re-badged?

I figure THAT bike is easily the most valuable bike in terms of its history. Is there an active market for such kind of things?

dirtdigger88
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I have a Lemond that is the actual one that I rode for 3 seasons- I will sell it for the low low price of $3900.00.
Any takers? :p

jason

Dr. Doofus
12-06-2004, 02:54 PM
It's a used bike. A 15-year old used bike. Your Doofus would give the guy about 500.00 and a 12 pack pack of Mickey's. Collector's value? Seriously, who collects old, mass produced bikes? Why would even a collector pay a buttload of money for one? Its a used bike.

All in all, we are reminded of the words of Nigel Tufnel, speaking to Marty DiBergi: "Don't touch it...No...Don't look at it...."

cpg
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
It's a used bike. A 15-year old used bike. Your Doofus would give the guy about 500.00 and a 12 pack pack of Mickey's. Collector's value? Seriously, who collects old, mass produced bikes? Why would even a collector pay a buttload of money for one? Its a used bike.

All in all, we are reminded of the words of Nigel Tufnel, speaking to Marty DiBergi: "Don't touch it...No...Don't look at it...."

Who collects old, mass produced bikes? Not me but plenty people do. www.classicrendezvous.com All this talk about Lemond reminds me of this fall when I was leaving the MN State Fair and Greg passed me and my family on a sidestreet sidewalk. I looked at him and said "Greg Lemond, how are you?" He stopped and we spoke one on one for 25 minutes. He would have talked for longer but my kids were getting restless. I asked him about his spat with Lance and about the biz. He was very open.

Curt

Bill Bove
12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Talking about Lemond and bikes, I wonder what ever happened to the red Botecchia (sp?) time trial bike Lemond rode to victory in Paris in '89? Was is really a Botechhia or re-badged?

I figure THAT bike is easily the most valuable bike in terms of its history. Is there an active market for such kind of things?
That bike was really a Cinelli Laser rebadged as a Bottetechia, after the tour the bike was sent to Ten speed Drive Imports in Florida where we re-rebadged it as a LeMond. My sister has the Bottetechia headbadge now. Greg used it for a couple of photo shoots but we never saw it again after we worked on it. I did get to take it for a spin around the parking lot in the exact same configuration as the last day of the tour, Coke can shims and all. It was scary fast. 56 tooth chainring. The rear disc had a slight crack in it from hitting a garage roof (even the pro's do it!) but it didn't stop us all from riding it.

BumbleBeeDave
12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
You name droppers, you! ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave

bostondrunk
12-06-2004, 08:44 PM

Are you kidding?? People on this forum practically pee their pants out of excitement when they find some 20 year old Sachs frameset on ebay! (no offense e-ritchie).