PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick...

shinomaster
12-04-2004, 12:49 PM
And no not just sick in the head! I caught a head cold after a cold ride on wednesday. I was trying to stay fit for the last race of the year on december 12th. How do I know when I can train again? I think that the last ride I did got me sick so I'm worried about making it worse.

:crap:

Andreu
12-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Join the club....had a cold for about the last three weeks...feel generally run down and now have a cold sore....sure sign that I have over cooked it (again!).
I am going of stay off the bike for another couple of weeks at least and just enjoy fattening for christmas.

Hard in the cross season though and I understand it is frustrating .....my rule of thumb is if the cold goes below the neck then stay off the bike...you maybe OK if you take a week off or just take it easy on the bike if the cold is just in your head (if you know what I mean!). Head colds usually last three or four days then it is Ok to return to more heavier training and racing. Pulse and sleep pattern is usually good monitor of state of health during this time...cycling doesn't pay rent or food bills so I take a "better to be safe then sorry" philosophy these days.

Get well soon
A

William
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
That's a tough one to answer Shino. Is it a head/throat cold and otherwise you feel fine? If yes then I'd say go for it. If it's more flu like, or a chest cold then I'd say no way, rest up and get better. Listen to your body my friend, listen to your body.
I neglected to do that one time after a wipeout that required a visit to the clinic to clean out the road rash with toothbrushes & cover up the chunk of my knee that was gouged out. Stooopid me, went on a 50 mile "easy" ride the next day and sent myself into shock. :crap:

Listen to your body and make the call.

William....who is absolutely not a doctor in any way shape or form and who is now going out for a ride with the temp hovering at 38 degrees. :)

shinomaster
12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
I know...I feel weak. I just rode to a coffe shop and feel crummy . I feel weak and weary...I'm sure I'll be better an the 12th I just don't want to loose what little fitness I have....
Normally I never ride when I'm sick. I can't believe the stories I hear about the pro's who race with a cold and a temperature!! I can barely even stand up.. :crap: :crap:

coylifut
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
If you haven't already paid, call it a year. The virus that's running around Portland right now, I know I have it too, feels like a head cold with a bit of body aches and gastro intestinal distress. You feel just good enough to think about racing, but bad enough that you shouldn't. The good news is that it passes rather quickly. The bad news is that it leaves with what ever fitness you may have.

A word of warning, the course next weekend is the most un interesting course of the year. It sits on top of reclaimed wet lands and if it rains at all prior to the race, the whole course turns into "power mud." A 10 minute lap may include up to 4 full minutes of running. If it's sunny and the East wind is blowing, it's super fast and fun.

shinomaster
12-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I hate running!

zap
12-05-2004, 09:17 AM
if you don't have a fever, go for it but take it easy.

but your lucky.

in the past month i've cut body parts (mine :crap: 0 ) and last week caught pneumonia. now body parts are becoming one again, but now i'm coughing up blood. just great :confused:

93legendti
12-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Try Elderberry syrup--amazing stuff.

Tom
12-05-2004, 01:01 PM
You'll feel much better. It has worked well for me more than once.

froze
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
And no not just sick in the head! I caught a head cold after a cold ride on wednesday. I was trying to stay fit for the last race of the year on december 12th. How do I know when I can train again? I think that the last ride I did got me sick so I'm worried about making it worse.
:crap:

I hear you man. I got the chills and fevers after a ride in the cold here in Fort Wayne Monday before Thanksgiving and it turned into pnemonia about 4 days later!! I never had this in my life! I don't know if my age of 48 had something to do with it, or the maybe because I moved from California to Indiana last January I haven't gotten acclimated yet. This is the worse illness I've had in my life...I guess I shouldn't complain, I've have friends who have heart problems, cancer, diabetes and other assorted health problems.

coylifut
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Shino

here's the course for nats. http://www.crosscrusade.com/flyers/2004/nationals/map.html (http://)

This is a much more interesting course.