PDA

View Full Version : Help with traveling to Portland Oregon: places to stay and bikes to rent

rickygarni
02-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Hello Everyone,

My son and I are thinking about going out to Portland, Oregon for a vacation. Being rather frugal and middle class and somewhat broke and all of that, we could use advice about a nice/cheap hostel/motel in the SW area – (the only friend I know in the area lives at SW 45th) – and, of course, a recommendation for bike rentals (wouldn't have to be super delightful bikes – although if that is a possibility, it would be wonderful.)

Also – any traveling tips for Portland – eating, goofing off, microbrewering, arts and culture too would be wonderful. Right now I am just hankering to go to Voodoo Donuts – and I also understand that there is quite the pancake place in town.

On these and any other notes, can anybody help?

Thank you so much in advance,

Ricky
tortillaexmachina.blogspot.com

fourflys
02-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Here's a place to rent
http://www.velocebicycles.com/pages/rentals.html

William
02-08-2009, 09:43 AM
As I remember, the Phoenix Inns were affordable, clean, and served a good breakfast included with the rooms. There are a number of them around the Portland area (at least there were when I lived there). For riding proximity, I would go with the one in Hillsboro/Beaverton. It's easy to get out to Skyline Blvd. that gives access to many different and beautiful riding areas.

Suggestion: Climb up Germantown rd to Skyline. Take Skyline to Newberry and have a hair raising decent (watch out for the hairpin near the bottom). That will drop you down to Hwy 30 which is a short jaunt to Sauvie Island. Circle the Island and go back the way you came. Good climbing, fun decents, and great scenery.

William