PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Saddle Longevity?

scrooge
02-07-2009, 08:20 PM
The ti rail on my specialized alias saddle snapped yesterday--probably four, maybe five, thousand miles on it. I took it into the Specialized shop and they said they couldn't warranty it, and then the shop manager rather off-handedly commented that he sees those rails break all the time.

Um, yeah.

Anyone else had this problem? I like the way this saddle fit, but then again, I'm going to have a difficult time shelling out another $100-$150 if breakage is common problem and the company won't do a better job of standing behind their product.

Tailwinds
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, that sucks! What bike shop was it? W.R.?

scrooge
02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow, that sucks! What bike shop was it? W.R.?

Bike Source on CO Ave--I think they're actually a part of Specialized (however that works). I assumed that they'd take one look and hand me a new one.

Ray
02-08-2009, 04:28 AM
Bike Source on CO Ave--I think they're actually a part of Specialized (however that works). I assumed that they'd take one look and hand me a new one.
Particularly if it had been happening a lot. I've had good luck with their saddles in the past (the early body geo ones), but have been off of them for years. I'm riding them again (phenoms), but I've probably only put a couple of thousand miles on mine and I've never broken a saddle rail of any kind before, so I'm pretty easy on equipment (should never say that out loud). Mine are cro-moly rails too, so wouldn't be on point. But that's a terrible attitude for a dealer to take - you might want to contact the company directly.

-Ray

alancw3
02-08-2009, 06:32 AM
first i would go back to the shop and ask to be put in touch with the zone manager for specialized about the problem and how the shop manager told you he has seen those rails break all the time. if no satisfaction then to a higher level at the company directly.

caveat: don't know your weight but i do recall some brand of saddle that when spec'd with titanium rails had a weight limit. possibly fizak.

Peter P.
02-08-2009, 06:50 AM
I was going to recommend you switch to a model with SOLID titanium rails but Specialized doesn't offer any.

I would recommend you try a Specialized Avatar with hollow chromoly rails. That should be a good start, and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit the same.

Titanium is less dense than steel so more material is needed for sufficient strength in the rails. Due to confines in rail dimensions, you can't change the rail specs to gain the strength back.

And I think your dealer is being reasonable. Most manufacturers will warranty parts for a year PROVIDING YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT. I did not see any warranty mentioned on Specialized's web site; perhaps it's on the back of the package. Your dealer's comment about broken rails being a common occurrence-it doesn't strike me as a defect, just stretching the limits of design.

Whatever happened to SOLID titanium rails-greater strength and no appreciable weight penalty.

EastCoastRoadie
02-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Providing that there was not a weight requirement that you exceeded, I disagree that this is not a manufacturer issue. Ti is supposed to be bullet proof and built to last. I am sure if Specialized were up front and told you that you would only get 5,000 miles out of the saddle for $150, you would have laughed. Obviously, you were trying to cut a little weight, but when you are buying expensive saddles, I think it is your right to actually expect a high level of quality. Specialized makes good stuff, but their niche is not custom bikes and a high level of customer service. They move a ton of bikes and components, and probably 99.5% of the time have no issues. When they do, customer service is probably not a big deal, although I am sure there is some LBS variety in this area. As a rider of Moots Ti bikes, I can tell you that every component they make from Ti is expected to last forever, and if you break something that should not have broken, they are awesome about switching it out with no questions asked. Just a different vibe from a smaller company that depends on word of mouth in large part to sell their bikes.

kerrycycle
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Although not a rail problem, the top of my Specialized Toupe warped rather quickly. I'm going back to a good Italian saddle soon. I've never seen these type of problems with Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Fizik.

Ray
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Although not a rail problem, the top of my Specialized Toupe warped rather quickly. I'm going back to a good Italian saddle soon. I've never seen these type of problems with Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Fizik.
The Toupe has a notoriously flexy shell and very limited padding. If you like the shape but don't like the flexyness (which is likely what led to the warp), you might want to check out the Phenom (which is really just the mtb version of the same saddle). Same exact profile, but a firmer shell and a bit more padding, albeit firm padding - not squishy at all. I migrated from the Toupe to the Phenom and have seen a number of other people doing the same. I think the Toupe tends to work better and longer for real featherweights.

Or not, but it might be worth a try.

-Ray

BillyBear
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
my brooks saddles and lugged steel bikes will be part of my estate...plastic bikes and ti weight weenie parts just don't last...JMHO

MadRocketSci
02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
yes, the phenom gives a little more cush to the tush. I have one on my cr*p bike. the one thing I did notice is that if you flip the seat over, rest it on a flat table, and put a mini-level across the rails, you might not get a level reading. i have no idea how much or if this matters at all, but i'd estimate one side to be about 2mm higher than the other. made in taiwan, ymmv.

the toupe, otoh, is dead-nuts level. I haven't had any issues with it so far. I did have to buy more expensive shorts. the now-defunct selle italia prolink trans-am gel flow let me get away with the cheap stuff.

oldguy00
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
The shell of my toupe cracked, and specialized wouldn't warranty it as it was just over a year old.

luaxwe
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I own a shop in CT and the big S backs me all the way. If I say its a warranty or manufacturing defect, they take care of it. Of course i need to be fair. A lot of times, my relationship with my manufacturers is more important than the one with the customer in front of me. That said, I do not abuse it. The last thing Specialized wants however, is a person moving to another brand when the cost of replacing it is insignificant.