PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager Tubular Rims

saab2000
12-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Hello,

This question is aimed partially for the Jerk. He has indicated on a couple of occasions that Bontrager might introduce a tubular rim. I assume this would also have the offset like on their clincher rim. In fact, I have read here the Mr. Jerk may even have some sort of prototype, though it may simply be a re-branded "other brand" rim.

The Jerk has also hinted that he has tested some rims and wheels for Bontrager.

Can the Jerk (or anyone else) give any insight to the possibility or likelyhood of a future Bontrager tubular rim?

Vancouverdave
12-04-2004, 10:34 AM
They have a tubular wheelset with carbon, deep-section rims. I just want to know who the genius was who decided to build a TUBULAR wheel with internal spoke nipples! Doh!

saab2000
12-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I know that they have a complete wheelset. I am interested in rims alone. They make a pretty good clincher rim.

It is my opinion that the handmade regular wheel has some life in it yet IF some of the issues are taken care of. It is no secret that the greater dish in wheels today has made them less strong than they used to be.

The offset rims take care of much of this problem and I think that a wide (stiffer) rim, made of modern (hard) aluminum with offset drilling would make a great wheel for a lot of the riding that a lot of people do. I am looking for a tubular rim with these characteristics.

I have so many ideas for components that I think are cool that I would even like to make them myself. I have a good idea for a cool brake..... My secret! :D

jerk
12-04-2004, 11:02 AM
saab-
the jerk has been riding some prototypes for a while and is trying desperatly to get the things to come to market.....basically, the pros have been using bontrager race x lites with really wide (21mm) rims with offset spoke beds....this rim is the same thing but with 32 or 28 holes....it has machined sidewalls although the team's early season wheels are not machined because they prefer a smoother rim when riding in really crummy coditions.....the jerk is fighting hard to get these things out to everyone and not just idiots like the jerk....the problem is convincing the pencil pushers that there is enough of a market for the rim.
jerk