PDA

View Full Version : Over hauling the Hors Categorie

Smiley
12-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Last year I wrote and said I was going to do some renovating of the Hors , I bought new wheels ( Tune rear hub and A/C front laced to Nible Spyder rims ) , dumped my F1 for a Ouzo Pro fork and just installed a Bold Precision seat post to compliment my Brooks Swallow saddle .
My new question to you is Should I go ahead and up-grade to ShimaNo 10 speed as the hoods intrigue me the most out of the whole group . I would be interested in using an Ultegra crankset ( I hate the looks of the Durace ) along with DA hoods and deraileurs and my question is do I need to up-grade the brakes themselves . Any other alternative suggestions . The Captain is broke from adding a 2 car garage with Keno and Kevans private suites above the main floor . New bikes will have to wait another year .

dirtdigger88
12-04-2004, 08:42 AM
All I can say is like they or not- the new DA 10 hoods are the most comfortable I have ever used. I will agree some on the looks of the DA 10 cranks. I think it really depends on the bike. My Legend looks great with the cranks. A lugged Terraplane (in my opinion) would not. This is where I think the big "S" is missing the boat so to speak. I think they should have made Ultegra a 10 speed line but left the look of the crank a bit less modern. that way people would of still had they as an option for many other bikes besides the very modern racer- boy bikes. I am not sure were a Hors would fit into that explaination- I suspect that the cranks would not look goods (especially with a Brooks saddle) You have already dropped the coin for the Tune hub- why not some tune cranks?

oups- don't change the brakes- only the pads.

jason

zap
12-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Does the ultegra crank look any better? and it's heavier. and it's a peasants crank.

also do you want the wider q?

if you want shiny cranks, check out the new offering from crank bros. but dirtdig. brings up a good point, why not a tune sixpack. check out poshbikes.com

keep the brakes.

pale scotsman
12-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Sir Smiley - For the love of all things holy just leave the hors alone! Don't make it look like some 50 year old hollywood floozie trying to look 20. It's a classic bike. Will the DA 10 speed stuff make you any faster? Is the 9 speed DA worn out? I'd venture to guess the answer to both is no.

The fork, seatpost, and wheels complete the bike. Maybe a new paint job tops. An hors is an hors, unless it's a hors of course. :) :beer: :)

jerk
12-04-2004, 11:19 AM
pmp xp07 microroad ii crank.

this is what you want. 675 bucks. you can use whatever size chainrings you'd like because it's 110 spacing. it will still shift great because of the inner stffening ring the bigger chainring sizes have. outboard bearings, super low q factor and weight and it's available in both silver and black so it will look great on any bike. plus it is super expensive, hand made in italy and virtually unobtainable in this country. let the jerk know.

CJV
12-05-2004, 03:56 PM
To Smiley, et al.: What made Serotta stop making the Hors Cat? I still get no end of compliments on its looks and, based on my relating its sprung effect in the seat stay, on its ride. I can't believe carbon is the answer, but I haven't had the chance to ride an Ottrot because of the long drive to a dealer. Or are corporate decisions beyond our comprehension?

Jeffie
12-05-2004, 04:19 PM
If you really want DA 10 speed levers all you need to do is:

1) Buy/install levers
2) Assuming you have shimano 9 speed rear derail., swap pullies for 10 speed pulleys
3) Buy/install DA 10 chain
4) Buy install DA 10 cass.

Still a lot of money. May want to check www.totalcycling.com. Seem to have pretty good prices (levers seem to be ~$100 cheaper, before shipping)

Happy riding

dave thompson
12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Smiley: You can over haul that baby............right to my doorstep!