PDA

View Full Version : Bike Travel Cases

Jim Braley
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Thule Round Trip Bike Travel Case. I was about ready to buy a Bike Pro Race Case until I heard about the Thule. They are about the same size and weight. I am wondering which one is the easiest to pack the bike in and which requires the least amount of tearing the bike down and any other issues that anyone has expereinced :bike:

Bruce K
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I have no experience with the Thule but I like my Bike Pro (other than the fact it says Bike Pro on it).

Relatively easy to pack.

1. Seatpost out
2. Remove rear derailleur put in nylon bag and velcro to frame
3. Remove handlebars and flip stem around 180 degrees
4. Remove and bag wheels

After that it's clamp it into mounting frame, pad it (if you want), secure bars, secure seatpost, and slide wheels into the bag, one on either side of the bike.

Presto! Ready to travel.

I'll be packing mine this week for a trip down to NC to visit Pete.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
. . . but I have a Trico case and it rocks! You just have to be careful to pack everything carefully because it's a tight fit. Not that I can't do it, but can the TSA guys close it properly?

And Bruce . . . You're going down to visit Pete? Has he been, uh, warned? ;)

BBD

bocarider
02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I have done a lot of research on this topic. The Trico (of which I have 2) is very similar to the Thule. Both work reasonably well as far as protecting your bike. I have had straps busted by evil baggage handlers and TSA incompetants open and do a lousy job of closing my cases up and luckilly, to date after 10+ trips with the bikes, have not had any damage to them. Trico is really good about replacing straps. I have watched my cases go up the conveyer belt onto plane and they definitely take a beating.

Packing the clamshell configuration can be annoying as cinching down the straps and keeping the clamshells lined up can be difficult. If you cinch the shorter end-straps 1st, you can control how the pieces line up; then you and do the longer straps laterally across the case last.

The Sci-Con hard case is really nice looking and people I know that have them have been pretty happy. I am a little leary of it as it does not have the 3 foam padding layers that the Trico and Thule both use. The Sci-Con is also considerably more expensive than the Trico or the Thule.

The Thule has nicer interior accessory pouches than the Trico, so I end up with more stuff in ziplock bags that you would with the Thule.

jbrainin
02-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I've been using a Trico case for over 15 years and never had any trouble with them. It has survived traveling on commercial flights, shipment through UPS and FedEx as well as the trains in France and Spain. It is probably the most cost-effective bicycling purchase I have ever made.

Blue Jays
02-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Definitely examine the Tri All 3 Velo-Safe Custom Road (http://www.triall3sports.com/bike.html) as you consider this purchase. The nice feature is one can pack LOTS of clothes, helmets, shoes, pumps, and anything else that might be needed on an extended ride. Once I secure my bike inside, I cover it in thick black plastic (to prevent any greasy stains) and completely fill the case with other items. It really helps lock the bicycle firmly into place. The case rolls beautifully through airports with the detachable nylon leash and one can stack his/her reduced remaining baggage on top. The bulky size of the case also prevents baggage handlers from *throwing* the thing around, which is an added peace-of-mind benefit. This is the case to have if transporting custom bikes or ones where ANY damage is unacceptable.

http://images.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/tas/2007/7663_i_1.jpg

The body of the case is a thick, high-grade polyethylene plastic. The perimeter is crafted of durable steel and there is a well-fitting PVC bar in the center section secured between rubber fixtures to prevent crush damage. There are two fixed wheels and two pivoting casters on heavy steel platforms bolted to the floor, along with a QR fitting for the forks. There is no need to remove pedals, derailleurs, handlebars, or stem. All that needs to be detached are wheels and pulling the seatpost/saddle from the frame. Mark it with tape to make reinsertion a snap. At your destination, you'll be on the bike as fast as you can reattach wheels and slide the seatpost into the frame.

When stored, the two halves fit handily inside each other. They can be filled and slid beneath a shelf. This is easily the nicest travel case I've owned and would never seek another vendor. Good luck with your purchase.

Bruce K
02-07-2009, 05:06 AM
The downside of the Tri All (IMHO) is bulk and weight.

It is hard to fit into a rental car. You most always need an SUV or Minivan (The Bike Pro fits in the back seat of most anything bigger than a Compact).

You can get the double whammy with the airlines of a bike and overweight charges really easily as well.

BK