PDA

View Full Version : High End Bike Thief Nabbed in Austin

Steelhead
02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Apparently this guy is a local rider/racer and sometime LBS employee who would befriend local cyclists and then break into their homes and steal their bikes and gear. one guy in a local club got ripped off BIG TIME: A stolen Gios Torino in mint condition, 2-3 pairs of Nimble Wheels, Scott CF Race Bike, various groups, etc.. There has been a lot of local forum banter and buzz about this and the cops raided him. He was also wanted on multiple warrants for bike theft in AZ.

]Check it out (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2009/02/05/apd_make_arrest_in_highend_bic.html[/url)

Steelhead
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
ooops - try this (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/02/06/0206bikes.html)

texbike
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
The police really stepped up on this one. God bless 'em! :)

More info (and other crazy Austin bike stuff) here: www.atxbs.com .

Texbike

Steelhead
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Now for some video (http://www.keyetv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=22282@keye.dayport.com&navCatId=5)

aLexis
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
James came into the shop a couple of years ago when he first moved to town and always rubbed me the wrong way. He told me about his previous "pro mountain bike career with hundreds of world cup races", and I called bs on him. I told him I googled him and came up with no results or mention of any of it. He still came in the shop from time to time, and I still saw him at the races, but he knew that I knew that he was a fraud, and we just kept it like that.

Viper
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
There are dirtbags everywhere. This recession is pushing people to the dark side of The Force. A well maintained 12 guage pump shotgun in the home along with a well trained Labrador Retriever can resolve most any issue.

aLexis
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
There are dirtbags everywhere. This recession is pushing people to the dark side of The Force. A well maintained 12 guage pump shotgun in the home along with a well trained Labrador Retriever can resolve most any issue.

How about 2 poorly trained Springer Spaniels and a German Shorthair?
They are all well maintained.

GuyGadois
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Now for some video (http://www.keyetv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=22282@keye.dayport.com&navCatId=5)

HA! In the video when they are talking about the theif posting the bikes on websites for sale they show BikeDirect.com. Is there such thing as bad press?

Viper
02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
How about 2 poorly trained Springer Spaniels and a German Shorthair?
They are all well maintained.

:beer:

great photo, dogs rule.

Dekonick
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM

I prefer my pit.

Pete Serotta
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Glad they caught him... We have a very trusting community and guys like this are the scourge of our trust.

texbike
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
This has been on a couple of the local forums:

Steelhead
02-06-2009, 10:54 AM
This thing has made the rounds in a big way via the internets...can you imagine what it will be like for this guy wherever he lands? Talk about black balled. Man, what a discrace it must be to be him.

I have a rule that guys that talk a big game can usually be discounted by at least 20%, and in this guys case subject to 100% reduction in their claim to fame. Round these parts we call that "all hat and no cattle" :) It's the guys that never mention thier achievements that have something to brag about.

Dekonick
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
This thing has made the rounds in a big way via the internets...can you imagine what it will be like for this guy wherever he lands? Talk about black balled. Man, what a discrace it must be to be him.

I have a rule that guys that talk a big game can usually be discounted by at least 20%, and in this guys case subject to 100% reduction in their claim to fame. Round these parts we call that "all hat and no cattle" :) It's the guys that never mention thier achievements that have something to brag about.

Or in my case, nothing to brag about.

R2D2
02-07-2009, 04:19 AM
POS
Sure would like to be in a race with him.
Might have to buy a new pump after I jam mine in his front wheel.

Sandy
02-07-2009, 06:12 AM

So what does the well trained Labrador Retriever do in the process? Jump in the bath tub, softly grab the 12 guage pump shot gun, take it over to you, and drop it at your feet?? Or lick the dirtbag to death? :rolleyes:

Sandy