PDA

View Full Version : low light Oakley lenses?

tv_vt
02-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Have a pair of Radar shades and need a low-light lens - any recommendations? Thinking of either a VR28, G40, or maybe the G30-but I'm not sure about the venting and how that will work with riding (it only comes with vents).

Thanks for the tips.

Thom

note - these are for low-light. I'll use something else for "low-life" shades. :cool:

Climb01742
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
don't know if this is helpful but... i have two pairs of m-frames, one with the yellow-ish lens and one with the orange-ish lens. both work well on low light days and i've never had fogging issues.

Viper
02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Venting is fine, you'll see it used in cycling on a regular basis. I've been right where you are, trying to find the ideal Oakley lens. I lifeguarded for six years where I had a particular lens and then when I got into shooting trap/skeet, I needed a different set up. I wound up purchasing the hard case which carries three lenses and depending on the conditions, I'd swap in/out a lens into the M Frame. Persimmon had a high light transmission.

Do you have the Radar lens model Range, Pitch or Path? See here for their lenses you can match to Radar:

http://oakley.com/custom/radar?sliver

Here is the 411 on their lenses:

http://oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints

1). VR28 Lens: Flat to medium light. Filters blue light to increase contrast and improve depth perception in a wide variety of conditions

Light Transmission:28%Conditions:changing conditionsProtection Index:2Neutral / Contrast:Contrast

Here you'll see the spectrum. Clear is on one end and you work your way up in terms of light. I enjoy Yellow or Persimmon for low light, here:

http://oakley.com/pd/4846/16268?promotion_id=30&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_ite=16268

I would call Oakley up, speak to their people:

Order by phone: (800) 431-1439

deechee
02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
The g30 is nicer than the vr28 but I rarely use mine anymore (m-frame). I wear my gold iridiums most of the time, and if the weather goes bad I just take 'em off.

Personally I didn't like the vents, once again I only tried on the m's. I have dry eyes in general, and with contacts, I really don't like the holes in the lenses.

BUT the radars fit infinitely better. Now if only I had a real excuse to get a pair.

JBone
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I use the black non-vented and persimmons vented. Persimmons work really well for me and the vents really help with the fogging. I have dry eyes as well, and seem to notice that air will get in on both lenses. Personally, I wish I would've got vented on both lenses.

-dustin
02-06-2009, 12:47 AM
My Radar lenses of choice:

Bright conditions - +Red Polarized
Mix of bright and shaded - G30 vented
shaded, low light - Clear vented

I've gotten to the point where I do not like contrast lenses. I've got something like 7 or 8 pairs of Oakleys here, and only 1 still has a contrast lens.

I don't really notice a difference in fogging with vented lenses. If it's cold out and I stop, both lenses fog up.

tv_vt
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Dustin,

Does the venting bother you while riding at all? Can you tell any difference in "draftiness" between the vented and unvented lenses?

Thanks,

Thom

mgm777
02-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I've been wearing Oakley's for many years....

Bright Light: Gold Iridium (non polarized)
Cloudy/Overcast: Persimon (non Polarized)
Flat Light/Evening/Night: Yellow (non Polarized)

Note: Sometimes I use a clear lens for low light or night riding, but I have found that I prefer the yellow lens because it actually enhances what little light there is. It makes the scene appear to be brighter than what it actually is.

tv_vt
02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Re: Cloudy/Overcast: Persimon (non Polarized)

Have you ever tried the G40 lens? Is a little darker than persimmon, in terms of light transmission (40% vs about 60% for persimmon)...

Thanks for the info.

T

-dustin
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Dustin,

Does the venting bother you while riding at all? Can you tell any difference in "draftiness" between the vented and unvented lenses?

Thanks,

Thom
I haven't noticed anything and I wear contacts when I ride.

benb
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I have some prescription persimmon Oakley's... I love them... they are a compromise for very bright days, but still better then clear lenses.

They were something retarded like $500 before insurance & discounts kicked in so I felt like I had to get something I could wear in all conditions.. they are wearable even for driving at night, and don't bother me going in/out of the trees cycling.

I find they are very weird.. they look very orange sitting on the table, but after a few minutes of wearing them the world doesn't look orange. But if I tilt my head down slightly while riding in the drops, I'm looking out of the tops of the lenses, and then I do see an orange shift in my vision.