PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a Brooks saddle?

GuyGadois
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I thought I would tale the dive and try out a Brooks saddle on my Bob Jackson commuting/touring/PBP bike as no saddle so far feels very comfortable. So, where is a good place to buy one that allows me to return or exchange if it doesn't work me? I found Wallingford Bikes online. Has anyone used them? Should I consider a used one (b17)?

Guy

joelh
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Wallingford has the best exchange program that I have found. Lickbike has some pretty good prices. I put on a Tour Professional and really like it. It fits my sitbones like it was made for them.

maunahaole
02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I bought a lightly used B17 from a fellow forumite and so far I am happy with it. I have a wide ass and the big platform on the saddle works well for me. Based on my reading of posts of other users, Wallingford is the place to buy from if you want a really generous return policy. I have noticed that Nashbar has had B17 saddles on sale recently as well.Keep in mind that you will also need the goop, too. AR-Hide recommends Obenauf LP as a substitute to brooks proofhide. It is a LOT cheaper and you will need to apply a bunch of goop to the saddle when you first get it, as the underside needs a generous application. I bought the obenauf from them directly and it arrived in my mail very quickly.

BCS
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Check out the prices from Totalcyling.com. $57 and change for a B17 standard. The titanium Swallow is less than half of Wallbike's price but without the return policy.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/saddles_men/index.html?action=currency&id=USD

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Second all the above comments ....

Use Obenauf LP instead of the Proofide. A superior product and not a
thimble full for 15 frns.

Then use Meltonian shoe cream as maintenance.
The Neutral works great !

Meltonian (http://www.shoeshinekit.com/melshocreamc1.html)

SoCalSteve
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Check out the prices from Totalcyling.com. $57 and change for a B17 standard. The titanium Swallow is less than half of Wallbike's price but without the return policy.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/saddles_men/index.html?action=currency&id=USD

Buyer beware!

Please see my thread on Total Cycling and the nightmare I had with them:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=54309

Bill Laine of Wallbike.com is a great guy to do business with. He will not steer you wrong and if you are unhappy for any reason, he will refund you the full amount....and, if there is a workmanship problem with the saddle, he will also pay shipping in both directions.

Good luck!

Steve

Joellogicman
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Buyer beware!

Please see my thread on Total Cycling and the nightmare I had with them:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=54309

Bill Laine of Wallbike.com is a great guy to do business with. He will not steer you wrong and if you are unhappy for any reason, he will refund you the full amount....and, if there is a workmanship problem with the saddle, he will also pay shipping in both directions.

Good luck!

Steve

Bill Laine is just a great business person. Everything else on his site is priced at or below the competition. If someone is undercutting him on his main product, you got to figure there is something wrong going on.

If you are worried about $$ check out the new team pro lite:

http://wallbike.com/blog/

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I never heard a complaint about Wallbike ...

I've dealt with them several times too. Very reputable.

How "lucky" do you feel today ?

Wall bike's prices seem to be about average.

I'd be skeptical about a dealski.

and you just can't beat Wallbike's return policy. :D

rphetteplace
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
BENSCYLE.NET pm me and I'll tell you why....

40x14
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I was happy with my saddle from www.velo-orange.com, but I don't worry too much about returns.

If you're thinking about getting one you'll probably be happy with riding one; a Brooks that is.

I have a champion flyer sprung saddle on my commuter/errand bike, it smooths my ride on the occassional cobblestone street.

VO also has a nice blog (http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/).

Just checked the velo-orange prices, they are less $ than wallbike for a copper rivet team pro.

rugbysecondrow
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
To anyone who had used the Team Professional Brooks Saddle, what is your impression of it? That price of $119 is enticing.

Thanks,

Paul

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
To anyone who had used the Team Professional Brooks Saddle, what is your impression of it? That price of $119 is enticing.

Thanks,

Paul

The Pro's have a reputation of taking forever to break in.

dave thompson
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks,

Paul
For me, the Pro is the most comfortable of the Brooks line. No break-in needed.

Ray
02-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Thanks,

Paul
The pro is a very different saddle than the B-17. It's still plenty wide at I think 160 mm, but they're much rounder on top than the B-17, which is extremely flat. As Ray (Ahneida) said. the Pro is also made of some of the hardest leather out there (or maybe the tensioning involved in the rounder profile just makes it seem that way), so it does take a lot longer to break in. But, as Dave said, if it really fits you right, it'll be pretty comfortable right out of the box and the break in is really just an added benefit. That's the way the B-17 feels to me - I don't even notice that its not broken in at first - it starts off great and just gets better. The rounder profile of the Pro puts more pressure on my taint and never really worked long term for me. The Swift is narrower and I've also had problems with that, but the B-17N is the same width as the Swift and it's always felt fine to me, probably because of the flatter profile, again.

No two Brooks models are really all that similar. As such, if you don't already know what works for you, Wallbike is a great place to figure out because of their return program. If you already are sure what you like, then you can shop the specials from Nashbar or where-ever to find the cheapest deal. Because they ARE getting expensive for new ones these days.

-Ray

palincss
02-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks,

Paul

The one on my Spectrum has been in service since 1991.

Like all Brooks saddles, it's great provided it fits you.

redir
02-05-2009, 08:28 AM
If you buy used I think it's best to buy only lightly used, preferably from some one who tried it and didn't like it. If it's too used then it will be broken in by some one else and the beauty of these saddles come from when they break into your own personal fit so to speak.

I bought my B17 and Swift from my LBS FWIW.