PDA

View Full Version : tubular sounds

lavi
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
So I've successfully completed gluing up my first set up tubies. Not a bad job really and I didn't get the glue all over the place. My lbs shop even complemented on my not totally screwing it up for my first go.

So here the question: are the tires supposed to make sounds when you ride. The shop says "yes" that it's the sound of a cotton cased tire. I worry it's the sound of a tire about to roll off while I'm cornering. However, the sound happens with every revolution, not just sometimes.

The set up (I wanted to go cheap for my first venture into tubular world): Easton ea70x with vittoria corsa evo (thanks pbk, $40 per, amazing).

The sound the tires make is right around the time the valve passes the ground and it sounds like the adhesion isn't quite there. Like the glue is flexing or something.

Simply, is this normal? I actually ended up re-gluing the rear to make sure I had done a good job. Both tires/wheels make the sound.

Am I going to roll this tire in a crit?

David Kirk
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
It is normal but that doesn't mean it's OK. I'm sure many will disagree with me and say don't worry but I personally won't ride with a tire doing that. Even if it's not a safety concern the noise will drive me batty.

The area on the tire around the valve stem isn't bonded well to the rim and this often happens. The tire can be lumpy there due to the stem and it doesn't conform to the rim as well as it should and each time you roll over that spot it closes up the little gap and opens it again. The easy way to fix it is to squeeze a gob of glue into the space (deflate the tire and pry it open a bit there to get the glue in). Filling the space takes care of the noise.

FWIW the better the tire the better it will seat in this area. Some tires are very good and others really a PITA.

dave

sbornia
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
The set up (I wanted to go cheap for my first venture into tubular world): Easton ea70x with vittoria corsa evo (thanks pbk, $40 per, amazing).

I'm going to glue my first set soon, with the same wheels. Tire noise aside, how do you like the Eastons?

lavi
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
D Kirk,
Yes, any sound other than endorphins poppin' drives me nuts. This will drive me batty. I'm going to have to remedy this. Thanks for the advice. That's what I though was happening. I just didn't have the proper words to describe it. I would expect the Vittoria to behave bases on their pedigree. It's prolly my fault with it being my first attempt at glueing. I'll jam some in there.

Sbornia,
I don't have much, if anything, to compare to, but they feel pretty good. I like the fact they are hand built. I can't really complain for the price. I also only got one ride on them so far. Plus I'm still very tentative with the tires making sounds and this being my first set of tubulars. The wheels need to earn my trust. I'm giving them a long time to get used to before I put them to the test in a crit or really hard fast corning. This time of year, the roads still suck so I'm not pushing it in the corners.

Dekonick
02-04-2009, 12:55 AM
did you remove the serial number from the rims? I noticed on my same wheels that there is a sticker next to where the valve hole is located. Also - did youtake fine grit paper and slightly roughen up the rim prior to glue application?

-dustin
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I recently glued a set of my Edge rims (new). Heard some crackling noises. Got back to the shop and saw that the glue was not adhering to the rim and basically breaking loose. I was able to pull the tire off within a minute, which is not how I glue tires. Once off, I'd say 95% of the rim was clean.

Needless to say, I now sand every new carbon rim.

ThasFACE
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
The sound isn't click-like, is it? When I went through my first tubular experience last year I taped (yes, I'm a taper, what of it? wanna fight?) up a set of Edge rims and was getting a really annoying clicking noise each revolution out on the road. Turns out that is was my valve knocking against the rim; a little bit of tape solved that problem. I felt stupid for missing that detail.

TAW
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I would suggest checking your gluing job. Deflate your tires to about 40 pounds and see if you can roll the tire away from the rim. If you hear glue crackling, or you can see areas where the tire is not glued and is dry, then you would probably want to remove it and do it again.

lavi
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Good advice, all.

Yes, I did remove the serial # sticker and also sanded the rims. I reglued near the valve stem. Hopefully that'll solve it.

Dustin,
Thanks for the info on the edge rims. That's where I'm headed if I decide I like the tubular setup.

That outta do it. Thanka again.

runtimmyc
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
The sound isn't click-like, is it? When I went through my first tubular experience last year I taped (yes, I'm a taper, what of it? wanna fight?) up a set of Edge rims and was getting a really annoying clicking noise each revolution out on the road. Turns out that is was my valve knocking against the rim; a little bit of tape solved that problem. I felt stupid for missing that detail.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking when I read the OP also. A little Teflon tape around the valve stem will cure it if that is the problem.

mister
02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
david kirk is right.
i'd check the whole glue job and i usually go just a little thick on the glue around the valve stem just so this doesn't happen.

also, when removing that tire (any tubular) be very careful if you don't want to mess it up. I use a tire lever and pry it between the basetape and the rim then slowly go around gently separating the basetape from the rim. after you get about half of it off you can pull rest off by hand. don't pull the tire by the casing.

MIN
02-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about the glorious sounds that tubulars on carbon rims make when sprinting out of the saddle.