PDA

View Full Version : Which Hubs Would You Put To Work ...

Joellogicman
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been collecting 1960s through 1980s bike parts for the last 10 years or so. A combination of winter fever and the trophy case starting to overflow has me thinking it might be fun to put together a Sunny Summer Sunday apres-midi joy of riding type bike.

Most of the planned gruppo are my nice but lightly used pieces. My good luck with finding NOS and save the Maxicars some real nicely boxed hubs has me a bit perplexed.

I have two perfect pair of Campy Nuovo Tipo Flange Grandis, Maxicar Type 3 large flange, and Pelissier 2000s small flange. All are 36 holes. Frame will be an early 80s Basso.

I am leaning toward Pelissier because while lovely and very nicely made, they do not have quite the following of the other two. But then I start thinking the Campys look so darn cool. Plus, the frame and most of the other pieces will be Italian after all. Other times I start thinking how many times I have heard people say riding on Maxicars is almost other worldly.

I would appreciate reading which you would chose.

Michael Maddox
02-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Man, what a choice to have! Why not build up nice wheelsets of all three? That's what I'd do. Probably all tubular. Do you have rims of the quality to match these? What are your current choices?

Joellogicman
02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I have some Ambrosio, Weinmann and Campy rims. Problem with rims from that era is manufacturers tended to change tooling or something all the time. It is difficult to get two exact matched pairs.

I am thinking about tubulars. I will have to take a class or find someone to bother for lessons on mounting them though. I understand the basics, but have heard enough about what happens when you screw up to be paranoid.

Making several wheel sets is a good idea. Even if I do not use them, a built up hub and rim looks better than the parts.