PDA

View Full Version : OT: Liquid Lunch

Keith A
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I just had to share with my fellow Serotta fans what I did for my 3.5 hour liquid lunch -- best surf we have had in a while.

Serotta PETE
12-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I am very very jealous.....Looks great!!! PETE

Keith A
12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
This picture doesn't show it very well, but the water was very clear and a blue green color that we don't often see. Offshore winds with a solid NE ground swell -- it doesn't get much better.

As much as I enjoy cycling and all things related to bikes, it just doesn't quite measure up to dropping in on an overhead clean wave with a long "wall" in front of you.

pale scotsman
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Cool waves! Not to make you paranoid or nuthin', but check out this pic I got a Ponte Vedra beach near Jacksonville on Thanksgiving day. See the white thing sticking out of the water? It's a fin. The shark was chewing on something for about 20 minutes no more than 150 yards off shore. Kinda cool.

This particular beach is where my brother surf fishes alot. Scary!

flydhest
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
as I close my computer for the day and get ready to climb on my bike, I checked the weather then the forum. Two thoughts are inextricably linked in my mind right now:

1) it's in the 40s and I'm about to bike home in the dark

2) Keith, #*&@ you!

:D

Keith A
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I've been surfing since before I could drive a car and those big fishies used to scare me. But now, I have seen enough sharks in the water that it doesn't get to me anymore. I certainly don't welcome the sight of one while I'm out there, but it doesn't ruin my session. I have only paddled in on two occasions because of sharks. The first time was after one bumped me while I was standing in about stomach deep water and that scared the heck out of me. The second time was when we started seeing a bunch (like a dozen or more) fins in the water and they had a little feeding frenzy going on. There must have been 20 or so surfers in the water and everyone got out and just watched the sharks have dinner.

KMA
12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
That ocean looks so beautifull! I'm jealous of all you warm climate cycling cronies. Our local water is of the frozen type. This is how we cope with it ...

Keith A
12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
That's how I would deal with it as well, but I'm very thankful that ours is the liquid stuff!

Here's two more from today...
http://www.pbase.com/hodad66/image/37049635.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hodad66/image/37051416.jpg

Attila175
12-03-2004, 12:19 AM
The waves I remember while going to high school in Mebourne were not that big. Of course since I didnt surf, I didn't hit the beach much in December.

dirtdigger88
12-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Attila175 where ya at in So. Illinios? I was a Saluki back in the day-

Jason

Attila175
12-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Attila175 where ya at in So. Illinios? I was a Saluki back in the day-

Jason

Mt Vernon, graduated from SIU in Dec 98.

MartyE
12-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Being a scubadiving instructor in a landlocked state
(yeah there's the gulf but . . .) and having to view your photo's
is really a cruel thing to do.
Pale Socttsman, I've seen a few sharks chowing down on
a leatherback just off Jax beach. Been to Ponte Verde a few
times myself.

Marty

Keith A
12-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Sorry :o I didn't mean to cause any pain -- just wanted to share my joy. I have also been to Ponte Vedra several times myself as I used to live in Jax and also a smaller town south of Jax (Palatka). I grew up surfing the St. Augustine area and would travel all along the coast looking for good waves and new spots to check out.

dirtdigger88
12-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Mt Vernon, graduated from SIU in Dec 98.

Cool- I have family (actually in laws) in Centrallia- I left C'Dale back in 94. Maybe I now have found my excuse to bring my bike to the mother in laws after all. We need to hook up for a ride. How about a Carbondale to Giant City run- I used to do that every week in College. What fun

Jason

MartyE
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Keith,
No pain, no gain?

My family is in Jax area so I'm quite familiar with the area.
I'm just lamenting the fact that my dive season has shrunk to
either lakes or twice yearly trips.
At least here in Texas I can ride year round for the most part.
what good is joy if you can't share it?

Marty

surfbikeswim
12-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Keith,

Another surfer here in NY. Just packed up for the season and will start again in April. I have to agree that there is nothing like that drop and feeling of speed as you trim across the face of a glassy wave. Longboards are my thing. Cruising, noseriding on the tip (even though I am not great it) and walking along the length of the board is just where it is at for me.

Thanks for the pics.

Ian

Keith A
12-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Glad to know that there is someone else here that can understand and appreciate what I was talking about.

I've got a longboard myself as well, but usually only take this out on small days when my shortboards just won't cut it. But every time I ride it, I have so much fun that I often wonder why I don't use this more. I've been riding shortboards ever since I started, so I have a hard time not having the maneuverability of a shortboard. I just had a modern fish shaped for me and this thing is a blast to ride in small to medium surf. It took a little getting used to it, but now that I have -- it's the only board I want to ride. I can't believe I waited so long to try one. Here's a picture of it...

http://www.barrierislandgraphics.com/forumfiles/NeilsonFish1.jpg

So why are you packing it in for the season -- just get some thicker rubber and stay at it. We are very fortunate to have such warm conditions all year and I can't imagine missing the winter season, as this is the best season of the year in Florida.

surfbikeswim
12-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Keith,

I only have a 3/2 wetsuit. Once I get into boots, hood & gloves it just is not the same for me. When I get out of the water and the temperature is under 40 degrees it really takes out the fun. Being originally from Australia may have something to do with that!

Falll is the time of the year for surfing here for me. The summer people leave, the beaches clear and the surf usually rolls on through. Hit it with an offshore breeze and it doesn't get any better. When the seals arrive it is time for me to get out of the water!

Yater Spoon and a RA "what I ride" are my boards. Occasionally body surf as well. It's all good

Cheers

Ian