PDA

View Full Version : OT: anyone been to india?

Climb01742
02-01-2009, 09:03 AM
i have an urge to visit india. has anyone been? recommendations? any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Ozz
02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
you have probably already sent a note to "dbrk"...yes?

I think he knows some things.... ;)

Ray
02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
i have an urge to visit india. has anyone been? recommendations? any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Did you just see Benjamin Button? Do you seek to get young like Brad Pitt? Good luck!

I've never been east of the West Bank (unless you keep going all the way to Australia and then back to the States). My wife and daughter spent a good chunk of last summer in Nepal doing volunteer work. They thought it was beautiful. But obviously very different than India. So I got nothing. As Ozz says, give Douglas a call - he knows India rather well. And he gave us a bit of advice about Nepal as well.

-Ray

Climb01742
02-01-2009, 09:32 AM
i have douglas' email at the office. will write him tomorrow.

93legendti
02-01-2009, 10:39 AM
My parents went and my cousin lives there. They all enjoy(ed) India. It is such a big country that your experience will probably vary with the location within the country.

A good place to start may be this approach: Do a google for 10 day and 2 week trips to India - what to see. I did this with Israel and came up with oodles of stuff. We stayed a week in the North and the owner of the cabins asked me the first day what we were doing (he was a licensed tour guide) and if we needed suggestions. I told him my plan and he said "you don't need me". By the end of the week, an Israeli couple vacationing there was asking me for suggestions.

So I'd start with an internest search, as well as dbrk.

A.L.Breguet
02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUMtHcUMWo

Smiley
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Climb , I can hook u up in Egypt if you don't want to travel so far to India.

paulandmonster
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
i went last year one of my best trips ever. i was n china on a bike tour back in 81 and that was also great but im sure its sooo different now.oz is great great people nz is naturaly beautful but a bit boring. europe is a great deal now but i lived in paris so its different for me never been to india no desire but everyone is different. find people who are like you who travel and find out what they like. ussually a pretty good indicator. my next trip could be siberia afghanistan or thailand. my next big vacation could be african safari dont know which country politics and all. which brings us back to india id be sure where i was going the political climate is favorable. if of course that matters to you me i dont care. but i have no family.

kayten
02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi there! All depends on what you want to see or do. India is so varied geographically that it would take definitely more that a week's visit or so to absorb what is there to offer. You can visit the temperate regions in the north or the hot and humid tropical beaches in the south. Even from a culinary standpoint, it is very, very diverse. If its tropical you seek, I would strongly recommend that you visit Kerala, and explore the backwaters. Very, very nice...

Joellogicman
02-01-2009, 08:37 PM

In between undergrad and grad. I was based in Hong Kong and usually had time only to visit closer places such as the Philippines, Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia. I did make it to Kerala once though.

Lot of things going on at once. Lovely scenery, crowded villages and towns, familiar - people spoke English - but very foreign - so many ancient traditions - as well. I got turned on to being a vegetarian while there. Have not eaten any sort of animal (save, I suppose the occasional insect that gets in my mouth while riding - and makes its way into the food process). If you are single - well - I really liked the Desi women. Especially after all those tiny little Cantonese women in Hong Kong it was nice to see curves.

I understand a lot has changed in Kerala in the last 19 years. Definitely recommend going. If I had time I would like to go back.

jlwdm
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Like was mentioned, there is so much to do in India - a great variety. It is a marvelous country that everyone should go to. You just have to get past the poverty.

Jeff

kipjac
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I've never been there, but I can recommend a book to you that casts a clear and unapologetic eye on Indian culture and castes. It's called The White Tiger and the author's name is Aravind Adiga. As the book's back cover says,

"...Adiga was born in India in 1974 and raised partlyi in Australia. He attended Columbia and Oxford universities. A former Correspondent for TIME magazine, he has also been published in the Financial Times. He lives in Mumbai, India.

kipjac
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I've never been there, but I can recommend a book to you that casts a clear and unapologetic eye on Indian culture and castes. It's called The White Tiger and the author's name is Aravind Adiga. As the book's back cover says,

"...Adiga was born in India in 1974 and raised partly in Australia. He attended Columbia and Oxford universities. A former Correspondent for TIME magazine, he has also been published in the Financial Times. He lives in Mumbai, India".

kipjac
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM

I have never been there, but I'm reading a book of fiction that is based in India and it's called The White Tiger. The author is Aravind Adiga. The story is a black comedy about Indian culture and it's caste system. Adiga has a searing viewpoint and is utterly unapologetic about it. I'm enjoying it immensely.