PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti dealers?

Karl Lee
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi

I'm looking for a Pegoretti frame, can anyone help with a source? If someone knows of one in stock, I want a 57TT. When I googled all I got was CC. Thanks much. Karl.

Peter P.
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
I recommend you contact the U.S. distributor for Pegoretti. Don't ask if they'll sell direct to you because they likely won't; ask if they know of a dealer with your size on hand.

http://www.gitabike.com/

Jack Brunk
01-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Contact Craig/Jerk at International bicycle center in Newton Mass. He's the man when it comes to any high end bike and they are a Pegoretti dealer.

Karl Lee
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Peter and Jack, I appreciate that info. I've wanted one for a while, don't know between the Marcelo and a couple of others but we'll see what they say/have on hand! Peace.

caleb
01-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Most dealers can get you a Peg. Check with your LBS.

Mr. Butterworth
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
+1 for Craig at International Bike in Newton, MA. He's the authority.

Karl Lee
01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Appreciate the help everyone, I'm starting to get jazzed about getting a new bike especially a Pegoretti. I thought when I finally got a Crumpton that'd be it for buying bikes for me. But, this will be my last...yea right. Thanks again.

Climb01742
02-01-2009, 06:24 AM
bikyle.com has a 57 marcelo listed on their site. another shop that often has pegs is abovecategory.com. and of course, craig/the jerk at IBC. good luck.

SoCalSteve
02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I bought my Marcello from gvhbikes.com great to work with!

Good luck!

Steve

sw3759
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
nuther' vote for Craig at IBC.he has been great to deal with.and just emailed me today to let me know my Marcelo just arrived in North Carolina.woo hoo!
made my day.i went to Craig after mistakenly going to another ex-Peg dealer in Chicaoi that gave me the run around for 11 months and never told me they lost their Peg dealer rights a few weeks after they took my order and finally called Gita and emailed Dario to find out when my frame would arrive.turned out it wasn't even on order.at least i got my money back.now it's in UPS's hands..i wish i had not seen the Marcelo photos at CC.

Scott

lavi
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
+1 on gvhbikes.com. I got my Merckx MXL from there.

You can check with Lakeside Bikes in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Ask for Jack. Great shop. Very knowledgeable. They imports lots of Pegs. Jack can call and talk to Dario for you if need be. The don't offer deals though. You'll pay full rip.

sbornia
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I got mine from Kyle.

Montano Velo in Oakland also has a good selection.

haimtoeg
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
+2 for GVH - I bought my Duende from him and was very pleased with the service.

MadRocketSci
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I feel bad for saying this but for me,

-1 on GVH bikes. My issues (maybe i'm too anal) on my complete peg 8:30am with centaur/neutrons

1) Frame as far as I can tell was not prepped. No head tube or bb facing. Says on website "done when necessary or by request." I thought the fact that the bb and head tube had paint on them would've classified it as "necessary." I guess not. Lesson then is to make the request.

2) Components were attached dry, as in no grease on any of the bolts I messed with...brake pad holders, stem bolts, etc. I'm guessing this applies to all bolt threads. Request this as well if it matters to you.

Other minor stuff that wouldn't matter if left on their own:

3) Shipped with a tight fit in a single wall box, rear der. hanger had to be bent back (shifting problems).

4) Rather long gash in the front prorace3 tire. I first thought that prorace3's were cr*p, but tom said that he probably slashed the top tire in the box with a box cutter. Tire was replaced without any issue.

5) Other than me bringing up #4 no followup at all like, how's the bike, did you get it, etc etc. Maybe he just hates me? I did make a bunch of specific requests.

6) Cables had popped out of bb cable guide. Perhaps just a shipping issue.

Bottom line is unfortunately I won't be using GVH in the future, though I like the business model. I feel I got what I paid for in the overall scheme (the frame was discounted and his component prices are pretty low).

YMMV.

ciclisto
02-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Mission Hills Bike Shop on washington I think, is a Peg dealer and has some in stock and has been visited by Dario and signed some frames. the owner a younger hipster type, has a responsorium for his own bike and there is a Marcelo and Lugino there I think are spectacular.

ciclisto
02-03-2009, 12:09 AM
bought two from him Colnago C50 and Derosa Macro both built impeccably and he is the best for follow up and cheap to boot. I sent him the derosa and he built it up for free!! after I bought his components at a discount.had to stick up for him. I wouldn't have anyone else build me a bike.

rinconryder
02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
bought two from him Colnago C50 and Derosa Macro both built impeccably and he is the best for follow up and cheap to boot. I sent him the derosa and he built it up for free!! after I bought his components at a discount.had to stick up for him. I wouldn't have anyone else build me a bike.

+1....good price on parts and builds a bike right.

Karl Lee
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Yea Madscientist, I think you had a rare occurance he is one of the nicest guys I've spoken to in the bike world. He's doing everything for everybody trying to get bikes out the door and I think he's a one man shop to boot. Cut him a break and ride that bike!

Thanks to everyone that's responded, I'm calling around!

Cheers

SoCalSteve
02-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I feel bad for saying this but for me,

-1 on GVH bikes. My issues (maybe i'm too anal) on my complete peg 8:30am with centaur/neutrons

1) Frame as far as I can tell was not prepped. No head tube or bb facing. Says on website "done when necessary or by request." I thought the fact that the bb and head tube had paint on them would've classified it as "necessary." I guess not. Lesson then is to make the request.

2) Components were attached dry, as in no grease on any of the bolts I messed with...brake pad holders, stem bolts, etc. I'm guessing this applies to all bolt threads. Request this as well if it matters to you.

Other minor stuff that wouldn't matter if left on their own:

3) Shipped with a tight fit in a single wall box, rear der. hanger had to be bent back (shifting problems).

4) Rather long gash in the front prorace3 tire. I first thought that prorace3's were cr*p, but tom said that he probably slashed the top tire in the box with a box cutter. Tire was replaced without any issue.

5) Other than me bringing up #4 no followup at all like, how's the bike, did you get it, etc etc. Maybe he just hates me? I did make a bunch of specific requests.

6) Cables had popped out of bb cable guide. Perhaps just a shipping issue.

Bottom line is unfortunately I won't be using GVH in the future, though I like the business model. I feel I got what I paid for in the overall scheme (the frame was discounted and his component prices are pretty low).

YMMV.

You seem like someone who needs to learn to build their own bikes. Its fun and in the end, you will have it done exactly the way you want.

Tom at GVH is a super guy and bent over backwards to accomodate me when I bought my Peg Marcello (frame only) from him. Plus, his price was great!

I reccommend him highly.

When Gary was alive, I bought a LandShark from him (fully built-hand built wheels too) and he did an amazing job as well.

Steve

Karl Lee
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Yea Steve I agree. I don't sweat the small stuff and I don't mind tweaking when I get a bike shipped my way, I expect some things not to be perfect. Now if I buy something and it's misrepresented...that's another story. Take care.

roguedog
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I got mine from Kyle.

Montano Velo in Oakland also has a good selection.

Hey Sbornia, any reason you didn't go with Montano Velo? Just pricing or something?

Lifelover
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Another +1 for GVH. I got the Gary V/Landshark Touring bike that was built for Gary and Tom not only gave me a great deal on it, but he was a pleasure to deal with.

I would/will buy from him again.

MadRocketSci
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I first found out about GVH a while back after a similar online love-fest. However, I still stand by my opinion. Proper frame prep (minimum head tube and bb facing, reaming maybe optional) and applying grease to bolt threads are part of a good and proper build. I even confirmed the frame prep thing with Nelson at Gita, Brendan at CC, and Tom at Velotech, my local builder, to give GVH the benefit of the doubt. I thought perhaps that maybe the whole frame prep thing was not necessary in modern metal frames or Pegs, but it was unanimously confirmed that this wasn't the case. Maybe he was really busy, behind, in a hurry, watching Oregon play in March Madness, whatever, but for my build these things were not done. I'm not about to start facing my own head tubes, or installing my own headset cups. Greasing all the bolt threads is not a small tweak. The rest of my issues were small, but all together they gave me an impression of lack of attention to detail.

Most talk about Tom's great personality and low prices. I would heartily agree with them. But otherwise, he didn't meet my personal expectations. Fair enough?

sevencyclist
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Velo Tech in Palo Alto CA has a Responsorium available. I believe in 57cm or 58cm. Don't have others in stock as of this past weekend when I stopped by.

Karl Lee
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks sevencyclist that's a good one...