PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Grips

rugbysecondrow
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Anybody have any experience with these Brooks Grips (http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brookshandlebargrips.html)? I am thinking about them for one of my MTB.

Thanks,

Paul

Ray
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Anybody have any experience with these Brooks Grips (http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brookshandlebargrips.html)? I am thinking about them for one of my MTB.

Thanks,

Paul
I saw them on a bike in a nearby shop. They're a lot bigger than they look on the web. They're literally a lot of bulk to wrap your hand around. No problem for most, but if you have small hands, you might want to check 'em out first. But I heard from one guy across the hall (edit - I believe that would be Michael, below) who'd used them and really liked 'em a lot. I thought about putting some on my townie, but the price chased me away. Ended up getting some really nice wooden grips that Riv started selling recently. Cheaper and still really nice.

-Ray

Michael Maddox
01-31-2009, 06:11 PM
They're stupid expensive, but I have some on my Pugsley. My thoughts:

1. You have to really crank them down to keep the leather from squirming, but once you do so, the grip is very positive and secure. You won't experience any slipping or squirming like you do with rubber grips, even when your hands are damp.
2. If your bike gets wet, just don't get them. They're okay for a little water, but you don't want them to get really saturated.
3. They're very heavy. and yes, they are quite large. If your hands are small, I'd agree you should check them out before blowing a bundle on them.
4. If you have something tricky like a Pugsley with a sprung saddle (matching Brooks Flyer here), they're exceedingly bling. So that's good. They're pretty ridiculous-looking on an ultralight hardtail.
5. The adjustability of the length is way cool. The grips are bound together with spokes, which can be cut to a preferred length to change the grip length.
6. The leather end-plugs can be pushed into your bars if you're not careful.
7. I suspect they will last FOREVER.

I'll post photos in a bit.

rugbysecondrow
02-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a 29er that I would be putting them on. I am a bigger guy(6'2", 225#) so I liked that idea having bigger grips that better fit my hands. The plan is to get a Brooks seat to match it, not so much for the bling (although that doesn't hurt) but also for comfort and performance. If it works well and performs AND happens to be bling...great.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.