PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Compatibility

jasond
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
So I received my Aksium wheels yesterday for the inconvenience of having to return my R-sys wheel. My question would be what cassette should I buy that is relatively cheap that is 10 speed and compatible with the dura ace chain? I would really like to avoid putting a dura ace cassette on a wheel that costs less. Also, saving weight is out the door since the wheels alone weigh almost a pound more then the R-sys wheels.

J

Michael Maddox
01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Ultegra. And keep using them even when you get a choice of Dura Ace.

I also find SRAM cassettes (not the RED ones) are plenty good with my Dura Ace drive trains. Plus, you can frequently pick them up online pretty cheaply in quantity.

Dave
01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Any Shimano 10 cassette will work.

jasond
01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys.

93legendti
01-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Ultegra. And keep using them even when you get a choice of Dura Ace.

I also find SRAM cassettes (not the RED ones) are plenty good with my Dura Ace drive trains. Plus, you can frequently pick them up online pretty cheaply in quantity.
iirc, SRAM cassettes are cheaper than Shimano Ultegra. I have them in 9 and 10 speed and they work very well. Also, SRAM offers slightly different teeth (is that the right word?) combos, so it may be worth comparing Shimano and SRAM cassettes.

Bob Ross
01-31-2009, 09:01 AM
^^^ Yeah, I've been riding with an Ultegra 12-27 for the past 3 years (compact 50/34 up front) and had been feeling like my top end ran out before I did, so I was pleased to discover SRAM offers an 11-26 cassette that is for all practical purposes as close to my Ultegra as possible while being "one better".

(Bought the SRAM, but haven't installed it yet.)