PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable handlebars

NHAero
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a set of Nitto Noodle bars on my current road bike and wonder if there are some bars with the Noodle's advantages (flat ramps behind the brake levers) but with less drop. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks
Marc

rwsaunders
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
NH...there was a recent discussion across the hall regarding the same subject that might give you some information. Do a search under handlebars.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum

Ken Robb
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not being a smartmouth when I suggest that you try a taller stem. That way you will be comfortable in the drops as though you had bars with less drop and you will probably be more comfortable when you're on the tops too.

Noodles are my favorite bars and I haven't found any others nearly as good for me.

fierte_poser
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
You are in luck. Handlebars with the very dimensions you describe are in vogue.

Check out the brand new Deda Zero100: 75mm reach, 128mm drop.

Many others are making a very similar bar.

SadieKate
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not being a smartmouth when I suggest that you try a taller stem. That way you will be comfortable in the drops as though you had bars with less drop and you will probably be more comfortable when you're on the tops too.Not being a smartmouth either. :) But doesn't one's choice in drop have a lot to do with height? Would someone short want the same drop as someone tall?

NHAero
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
One of the nice things about the Nitto Noodles is that the ramps and the bar ends are closer to being parallel than most bars. I use bar end shifters instead of brifters (I'm old :-) so i don't want the bar ends angled way down. Is there a photo anywhere of these Deda bars from the side? They look great, although the 31.7mm clamp size will be challenging with a quill stem (I know, could use a quill adapter...)

Ken Robb
01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Not being a smartmouth either. :) But doesn't one's choice in drop have a lot to do with height? Would someone short want the same drop as someone tall?

I suppose that may be true but my point is that when a person wants shallower drops I presume it is because they want their drop position to be higher. When I am riding on the tops or the hoods I don't mind having them higher than a lot of folks I see riding. So if a rider is on one of the upper positions anyway does he/she really mind that those positions are a bit higher since they already gave up the aero position they get in the drops?

I think it's easier and cheaper to try a stem that gets the bars I all ready like higher than it is to try different bars with shallower drops in my old stem. The Noodles are unique in that the top of the bars curve back toward the stem so riding on top puts hands higher and closer to the rider.

fierte_poser
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
So if a rider is on one of the upper positions anyway does he/she really mind that those positions are a bit higher since they already gave up the aero position they get in the drops?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

fierte_poser
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
One of the nice things about the Nitto Noodles is that the ramps and the bar ends are closer to being parallel than most bars. I use bar end shifters instead of brifters (I'm old :-) so i don't want the bar ends angled way down. Is there a photo anywhere of these Deda bars from the side? They look great, although the 31.7mm clamp size will be challenging with a quill stem (I know, could use a quill adapter...)

Google is your friend...

NHAero
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Google was a better friend to you than me - thanks!

palincss
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Not being a smartmouth either. :) But doesn't one's choice in drop have a lot to do with height? Would someone short want the same drop as someone tall?

Wouldn't drop preference have more to do with arm and torso length than height?

palincss
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
The Noodles are unique in that the top of the bars curve back toward the stem so riding on top puts hands higher and closer to the rider.

I wouldn't say "unique" - you'll find that same rise and backward sweep on so-called "randonneur" bars, like these:

SadieKate
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't drop preference have more to do with arm and torso length than height?Probably all combined in the great complexity of bike fit.

gomez308
01-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Google is your friend...

Those look a lot like the FSA compact bars.

NHAero
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
That Deda Zero100 looks like just ther ticket! Are there any bars made that are like those, but in a 26mm clamp size? I have a 1" threaded steerer fork.

Velosmith
01-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Interesting thread. I just had the same issue. After using Noodles on all my steel bikes for years I bought a carbon fiber frame (oh... the horror).

I found that the FSA Compact Carbon K-Force Shallow bars were pretty close. A nice short drop. They have a flat, but shorter reach which I compensated for by extending the stem 1cm from my usual.The one thing I seemed to like better about the FSA is the ergo drop was more comfortable than the Nitto and extended further back.

I don't have any time on this yet except on the trainer but it looks like it will work pretty well.

It seems bars are a lot like saddles. Everyone has a favorite.

Ken Robb
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't say "unique" - you'll find that same rise and backward sweep on so-called "randonneur" bars, like these:

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I mean when I look down on the Noodles the bars bend back toward the rider before they get to the part where the hoods are. I can't see evidence of that curve in your photo of the rando bars. Nice tape job!