PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking bottom bracket . . .

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2009, 09:13 AM
This past season both my MTB (Fisher hardtail) and single-speed (Langster) had squeaking bottom brackets. Not a click or a clunk or a creak . . . this was distinctive squeaking, as if rubber or metal parts were rubbing together. Both would do it more after I'd ridden on them a while, as if it was starting once some friction got the BB warmed up.

Now that I'm not riding for a while it seems like a good time to take them over to the LBS and get it looked at. Any ideas what could be causing this? BB too loose? Too tight? It would sure be nice to have a particular problem in mind to ask about when I take them in.

Thanks!

BBD

konstantkarma
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
First off...are you sure it is the BB? I have had 2 instances, one a Ti frame, the other an aluminum frame, where I would swear it was the BB squeaking with every pedal stroke. It turned out to be the seat clamp on the Al bike, and the rear hub on the Ti bike.

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
. . . on both bikes. It can be pretty loud at times and I've also checked it out with friends riding with me. It's coming from the BB area and it's exactly the same sound on both bikes.

BBD

Blue Jays
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
This is what Tom Kellogg of Spectrum Cycles has to share on the topic: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/63.htm

1centaur
01-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Somewhat suspicious of exact same noise on two bikes. Different pedals and shoes on those two bikes?

bagochips3
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Somewhat suspicious of exact same noise on two bikes. Different pedals and shoes on those two bikes?

+1. Assuming you have the same pedals/shoes on the two bikes, I'd be thinking cleats/pedals. I had a similar problem with Look Delta cleats/pedals before. I'd put some oil/lube on the pedal spindles, tension adjustment screws, etc. to see if that helps.

Kingfisher
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I had the exact same problem years ago, swore it was the bb.....finally took out the seatpost, greased a little...noise immediately gone!! Maybe the noise transfers down the down tube to the BB??

Good luck

TimD
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
+1 on the rear hub / front hub / skewer / dropout theory

I swapped out just about every part on a bike last year chasing exactly this sort of phantom.

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong. Maybe a good experiment would be to take the Langster down to the LBS and put it on my stationary trainer up in the spin room. That way I could have someone actually stand there and listen for it up close.

I just want to try and chase it down before spring gets here, I've forgotten about it and go out on the bike, and . . . "D'OH!"

BBD

thwart
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Listening closely is only so good...

Was absolutely sure I had a BB click/squeak last year. Changed out the BB---no change.

'Twas indeed one of the pedals.

Wasted a couple hours of my time pulling the crank and all... and yes, I felt stupid. :D

That 'same problem on two bikes' thing is an important clue, probably.

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
That 'same problem on two bikes' thing is an important clue, probably.

Well, one bike has ATAC's and the other the ATAC hybrid pedals--combo of ATAC and platforms. Both bikes have Shimano BB's. The GF is a steel frame with aluminum seatpost and the Langster aluminum with an aluminum post.

BBD

konstantkarma
01-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I had the exact same problem years ago, swore it was the bb.....finally took out the seatpost, greased a little...noise immediately gone!! Maybe the noise transfers down the down tube to the BB??

+1

I could have sworn mine was the BB. The creak occurred with every pedal stroke, and at the same place in the stroke. It stopped when I stood on the pedals, but I convinced myself that was because of the shift in weight on the BB. I replaced the BB, and it continued. It turned out to be the seat clamp interface with the seat rails. Lube solved the problem, but it still happens every so often. THe new BB was a waste of time to install.

victoryfactory
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
It's not the bottom bracket!

VF, from a veranda in Ubud

Pete Serotta
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
:) :)

This past season both my MTB (Fisher hardtail) and single-speed (Langster) had squeaking bottom brackets. Not a click or a clunk or a creak . . . this was distinctive squeaking, as if rubber or metal parts were rubbing together. Both would do it more after I'd ridden on them a while, as if it was starting once some friction got the BB warmed up.

Now that I'm not riding for a while it seems like a good time to take them over to the LBS and get it looked at. Any ideas what could be causing this? BB too loose? Too tight? It would sure be nice to have a particular problem in mind to ask about when I take them in.

Thanks!

BBD