PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bluetooth Headphones

sevencyclist
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I am in search of a handsfree headphone for driving. I am wondering whether there's significant perceptible difference in quality of sounds from the most expensive and the cheaper models? I probably spend only 10 minutes a day on the phone while driving, so it will not see major talking usage, but would like to have comfort when wearing it. Any suggestions?

Also, I have heard some headphone can be used for listening to music. Since I will be hooking it up to an iphone, I am wondering whether there's any one sided music headphone (for safety when riding) with music playing capability which could also be used to make calls? Thanks.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I have found that it is so much easier (and far better sounding) just to plug in a wired ear piece. No pairing, no pushing buttons in odd places...Just old school!

Plug and play!!!

Just one mans opinion,

Steve

rwsaunders
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
10 minutes a day....I'm with Steve...go wired...Jabra is a decent brand for under $20. Wireless, I just buy Motorola or others under $40. I lose them so often in the rental cars, a better pair would be wasted on me.

For wireless, it also helps if your phone's car charger works with the headset....one less charging device to carry.

sevencyclist
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
10 minutes a day....I'm with Steve...go wired...Jabra is a decent brand for under $20. Wireless, I just buy Motorola or others under $40. I lose them so often in the rental cars, a better pair would be wasted on me.

For wireless, it also helps if your phone's car charger works with the headset....one less charging device to carry.

Unfortunately I drive quite a bit to get the kids to schools, practices, etc, so I am wearing that wired headphone for about 2 hours a day, in a lot of get in and get out type of situation. So while talk time is minimum, the wear time is more significant. If I am not wearing the headphone, by the time I got the wires attached to phone and to myself, I have missed the call.

Ideally I would love to be able to use this comfortable headphone for listening to iphone while riding the 24 hour mountainbike races as well. I know, lots of wishes on the list, but since I need one anyways, might as well ask.

rwsaunders
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
An I-Phone, then. Did you check the Apple website to see if they recommend a specific headset for such a beast? I can't wait until Verizon can offer that phone.

sevencyclist
01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
An I-Phone, then. Did you check the Apple website to see if they recommend a specific headset for such a beast? I can't wait until Verizon can offer that phone.
Not much mention of music headphone doubling as cell phone headset on their blog site, so that is why I am asking here. Thanks.

sbornia
01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I would ask/search on this forum:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108

CaliFly
01-29-2009, 04:56 PM

+1. I have a Jabra doohickey with a gel earpiece that's nice and comfy. I'm only using it sparingly anyway...no need to waste time "pairing" a headset. and it's comfortable enough even for longer conversations.

pdmtong
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
This is the one that does what you want. It can be set up phone only, music one ear, or music both ears. While you are in hour 23, you can also pick up the call asking when you will be home for dinnerl.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/mobile/bluetooth-headsets/voyager-855?prodfind=true&mftr=Apple

Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset Part Number: 76300-01

For phone only, my Jawbone II works flawlessly with the iPhone. If you hate earloops, then Plantronics 925.

maunahaole
01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Before you go down this road see if iphone supports stereo BT or mono-only BT. There are voice and sound diffs between the various BT headsets. You also should try them on, some will fit you better than others.

Pairing isnt much of a worry - you probably only need to pair once, after that it is pretty much automatic.

sbornia
01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone here who wears eye glasses have any preferences for BT headsets that fit well over or around their glasses' earpiece? I've searched for clues on a number of forums, but am not finding any consensus. I suppose it could be very personal, like saddles.

mjmcgee
01-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone here who wears eye glasses have any preferences for BT headsets that fit well over or around their glasses' earpiece? I've searched for clues on a number of forums, but am not finding any consensus. I suppose it could be very personal, like saddles.
Motorola makes a BT unit that clamps onto an eye glass temple, (or whaever the piece that runs from the hinge to the ear is called), they were sold with Oakleys, but I think that they sell them seperately, too. I have only seem them on the thinner, metal framed O's, not sure they would work with a heavier, thicker or plastic ear piece thingy...

Mike

PS - search for Razrwire

paulandmonster
01-30-2009, 02:21 AM
get rid of them. they are pure evil. take them away from your children. give people talking on them dirty looks. they are the one of the causes of the downfall of west civilization.

csm
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
second vote for the jawbone.
I've been wondering about the bluetooth headphones to use with an ipod tho. I've read that they kill the battery quickly.

pdmtong
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
iPhone does not support A2DP, so that fancy motorola HD that folks like wont work without a dongle. http://www.a2dp.info/

Nil Else
01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Wearing stereo earphone, i.e. on both ears, while driving is not legal for one... Even if you could listen to music with one earphone I'm not sure whether it would be mono (combined stereo) or just one side of stereo... not sure whether anyone makes mono music ear piece these days.

I get to sample some BT headsets (mostly Moto) with my biz but thus far I haven't found one with good enough mic to communicate clearly yet... Low volume issue seemed worked out with most models it seems though. Haven't tried Jawbone but I hear good response from people. Plantronics is, supposedly, another good brand. I have a plantronics BT that seems to work good except it's very uncomfortable..., i.e., in my ear.

The most common response I get from the people I talk on my cell phone using BT earsets is "What? ... wha..? Take that d#@% thing off!" My GF overseas on long calls thinks I'm dissin her every time I tried to use one... as she has hard time clearly understanding what I saying.