PDA

View Full Version : Matte to Polished Ti

Kervin
01-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I just got an older Litespeed Classic Ti frame that has a matte finish. I was wondering if anyone has polished a whole frame? I was wondering how much time that might take. I've got a corded drill and a Dremel tool I could use. I could borrow/buy some air tools and do it on a day off at work, but I'd rather do it at home.

Kervin

dnades
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Kervin,

I was under the impression that once a titanium frame is matte that is pretty much it. If you figure out a way to polish it up let me know. I've got one frame matte and another brushed. I like the look of the brushed better but the matte frame stands up to abuse better.

good luck

john

Gothard
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Forget polishing. Unless done professionally, it will look like crap because the tighter places will not be as well done.
There is also the question of how much material you remove and how much you can remove in the places where the tube is thin walled.

For kicks, try to find a ti seatpost and polish that. It takes ages.

David Kirk
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
How old are you?

Dave

Lifelover
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Airborne used to have it's own forum and there was a guy over there that polished a frame. He had detailed instruction on how to do it and his look great (at least in photos). I do remember it being a TON of work.

I'm pretty sure that he was also posting over at Road Bike Review for a while and there was a thread over there about it as well. I did a quick search for it but could not find it. I think that forum is so massive you can only search back a certain amount of time.

I did find this thread that talks a little about it.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=1355&highlight=polish+Ti

Kervin
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
How old are you?

Dave
I voted for Carter ;^)

David Kirk
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I voted for Carter ;^)

you won't live long enough in that case. banana.

They are very hard to change in that way. Going from polish to matte is easy - the other way not so much.

maybe have it powder coated Ti color?!

Dave

dekindy
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM

They are very hard to change in that way. Going from polish to matte is easy - the other way not so much.

Dave

Okay, I probably won't do it, but how do you go from polished to matte? Just in general, if it is a detailed, complicated process you don't need to go into it unless you want to. Also looking forward to meeting you at the NAHBS.

David Kirk
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Glass bead blasting is the normal way.

Dave

EDS
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Dave

Dave - is it possible to go from painted ti to non-painted, either matte or polished?

David Kirk
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Dave - is it possible to go from painted ti to non-painted, either matte or polished?

I'd say yes and no. Under the paint you'll find that it was sand blasted to give the paint something to grab onto so you are back to the same place of trying to polish that out. But you could blast the whole thing with glass bead and I'll bet with some time get a uniform finish.

dave

SoCalSteve
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM

JB took my Hors Categorie from 3/4 paint - 1/4 raw Ti to 1/2 paint - 1/2 raw Ti. So, yes it can be done. And, it is matte.

Steve

Blue Jays
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Get it looking uniform and then have it promptly CLEARCOATED by a reputable bike painter.
Makes it much easier to keep a titanium frameset tidy that way. :beer:

jpw
01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I've looked into this in the past.

Ordering from new it is best to go polished because it can later be changed to matte/ paint. The other way around is more difficult/ not possible.

dvs cycles
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Get it looking uniform and then have it promptly CLEARCOATED by a reputable bike painter.
Makes it much easier to keep a titanium frameset tidy that way. :beer:That kind of defeats the main reason I chose an unpainted Ti frame now doesn't it. No paint to chip. :beer:

Dave
01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I owned a polished Litespeed for one season. It was a huge pain to keep it looking good. The final finish was electropolished and no buffing media I could fine could match the finish if it got scuffed. Just about anything that touched the frame, including some clothing would scuff the finish.

I worked in a plating shop for a couple of years and polished a lot of parts in that time. I can tell you that polishing a Ti frame would be a huge effort.

I've read that most brushed finishes are done with scotchbrite pads. Now that's easy, compared to polishing.

I would never clearcoat Ti. It's just asking to get chipped.

dogdriver
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Isn't this how you get best bang for your buck buying your next three bikes?:

Buy a polished Ti bike,
When you get sick of it, knock down the finish to matt,
Then finally get it painted.

OBTW, if anyone wants to go polished to matt, I have a ton of super fine abrasive paper (400/800/1000/1200) left over from my days sliding skeleton. You'd do me a favor getting it out of the house...

Cheers, Chris