PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to buy Assos?

Big Jim
01-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Anyone know a good place to buy Assos gear, am thinking of trying some bib shorts or bib knickers. Also what about the sizing, I am 6'3" and someone told me I should get XXL because of my height even though I weight 175. I also noticed some catalogs only list Small to XL not XXL.

Thanks for any advice.
Big Jim

Ozz
01-11-2004, 09:31 AM
The best place is your LBS....

For the best price, check out ebay.

dnovo
01-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Chicagoland Bike usually has a full run of Assos gear and sizes in stock, through XXXL (which Assos calls TIR, their XXL being XLG. Watch the sizes, as they do run small.) They ship same day and are a longtime LBS as well, with real person who knows the product if you call with a question (ask for Sarah, the principal buyer if you have any questions on clothing. Questions on parts, and they usually have very good prices and a good selection) should go to Ben, the chief tech. 1-773-445-0811) Dave N.

Roadbike61
01-11-2004, 11:19 AM
I am 6'2" 190lbs. and ride the XXL.

Ozz
01-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Roadbike61,

What is your waist and inseam? I'm thinking of getting some Assos bibs and tights, and have been trying to decide between XL and XXL

I'm 6' 2", 180 lbs. 33" waist / 33" inseam. 42L suit size.

Input from anyone else will be appreciated too.

Len J
01-11-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm 6'0" 165 lbs and i wear an XL

Remember Assos run small.

Len

rideon
01-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Ozz,

I'm nearly the same size as you and the XL on all the ASSOS bibs have fit me well. I own knickers, shorts, and Airblock tights and the XL is perfect. I do wear L in the Pearl Izumi shorts and tights I have if that helps. Good luck.

Ahneida Ride
01-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Jim Ozz,

I'm 6'4, 245, 38 inch waist, closer to 40 right now.

Take An Assos XXL ? THe largest zize under the TIR.
That is .... one smaller then the TIR.

Best place to buy is your LBS. OF course my LBS
provides countless free tuneups, SO the few bucks
saved by mail order, for me, just ain't worth it.

Assos are EXCELLENT shorts, One problem is the
lack of an elastic waistband. They use a drawstring.

Consider attaching a "squeegie" barrel adjuster to the
drawstring to prevent the string from sinking into the
shorts. SHould this happen. It is a Pain in he *** to
extract it. :beer:

My comments refer to the shorts, not the Bibs. Hope this
helps.

Too Tall
01-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Call Matt at Red Lantern Cycles: (301) 565-8264 Please tell him I reffered you ("Too Tall" Josh) he will appreciate that. Matt is an authorized distributor and often has overstock items and will price match.

I am 6'8" with a 36" waist and use XL not XXL bibs. Part of the beauty of these bibs are the compression of your thighs. Using oversized shorts denies that benefit.

Because I'm an overgrown freak I added a bit to the shoulder straps of old style championissimo bibs. Just buy a yard of 2 way lycra swimsuit material, fold it over twice and splice it into the shoulder straps. The splice is under your jersey anyway.

Newer F1 Mille' are equivalent to older Championissimos and mine don't need a splice as the shoulder straps more elastic.

Enjoy.

PS - the 1/2 shorts are junk.

bags27
01-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Branford Bikes is a tremendous and usually unrecognized store that sells everything at discount and has terrific customer service. I don't wear much Assos, but they specialize in it and sell it at a discount. A very serious and excellent site. Highly recommended!

http://www.branfordbike.com/

Indy Fab
01-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Oz,

As you know, I'm about 5'10", with a 32" inseam. I wear size L in Assos bibs. Their sizing has little to do with waist size and everything to do with body length.

As for price, I've yet to find an LBS in the Seattle area that stocks them, so I bought my bibs on eBay. Saved $60 on FI-13s.

After ruining a pair of Assos shorts when the drawstring retreated into the waistband, I'm staying away from shorts with drawstring waists. I'd rather have elastic than the feel of a knot digging into my stomach.

Roadbike61
01-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Ozz, I am 6'3" 190lbs. 35" inseam and 34" waist. I ride Assos XLG bibs and they are nun too big.

Brian
01-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Branford Bike is a great retailer, and not just for Assos. They are always worth a check when buying gear. A real and very knowledgeable person always answers the phone.

Bulltek sports (www.bullteksports.com) sometimes has great deals on Assos clothing.

bags27
01-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks for confirming this, Brian. I don't understand how we never hear much about Bransford. It's such a terrific store, although quirky (why not pumps, for instance?). Great wool clothing, too!

Jay Torborg
01-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Sammamish Valley Cycle in Redmond carries the Assos shorts and even offered them at a slight discount. I bought a pair of FI.13 bib shorts from them for $189 last fall. I don't know if their prices have gone up since then.

- Jay

glaucman
01-13-2004, 07:04 AM
I've never worn their bibs but do own the Assos Roubaix Jacket and wind breaker vest both in medium. I am 5'10"/145lb/31"waist/39"chest and find the jersey a good fit but the sleeves are a little short. However if I went to a large I would lose the form fit of the body and I think they would be too long (in the body). The vest is fine. Based on their fit charts I would require a large bib.

davids
01-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Is Assos really worth the premium over other brands?

It seems like Pearl Izumi, Castelli, Giordano - even Performance - all make quality clothing. Is there really something special that distinguishes more expensive cycling clothing?

I'm truly curious - This question is coming from someone who buys custom suits (and custom bikes...)

Thanks.

Indy Fab
01-13-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't have any qualms about paying more (sometimes even a LOT more) for goods that are so far superior to cheaper goods. But after buying a pair of FI-13s, I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. I honestly believe I could have done just as well for $100 less. As for Assos shorts, as previously mentioned, they have that funky drawstring that gets sucked into the shorts, and padding that feels like you're wearing a pair of Huggies. I just bought a pair of Hincapie shorts and a matching jersey, and the stuff is absolutely beautiful and, more importantly, very comfortable.

Jay Torborg
01-13-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm not convinced the Assos gear is worth the extra money. I have to admit that my FI.13 bib shorts fit me a lot better than my PI Microsensors, but at a considerable premium in cost. I haven't quite decided which are more comfortable. They definitely feel different though.

I have a theory that if you're doing a lot of riding, it's a good idea to have more than one brand of shorts and switch between them on consecutive days. This way, the pressure points, etc. will change from day to day, reducing the chance of getting nasty saddle sores.

Len J
01-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Jay:

I do this on multi day rides & it works really well. Use a different brand on each day.

Len

Big Jim
01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I was away for a few days so thanks to all for the info...some interesting stuff and it should help me decide what size to get. How does the Assos compare to Boure bib shorts and knickers? Has anyone tried both?

Too Tall
01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
If I could put Assos Chamois in Boure' shorts I'd have the best. Assos fabric is kinda light. I would not call it durable.