PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kindle users -- impressions ?

Bud_E
01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
On a previous thread related to newspaper subscriptions a few people mentioned that they are Kindle users. I'm thinking about popping for one and I wanted to get some impressions - good or bad.

Are there other models of "e-readers" that are better ? Should I wait for version 2.0 ( or 3.0 or whatever they're on ) to come out ?

As always, thanks for a great forum.

EDIT: Looking around the internets, I found this article (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10150745-1.html ) , that says Amazon is rumored to be announcing the Kindle 2 in a week or so. I also just discovered that you can't buy the Kindle now even if you wanted to because Amazon claims to be sold out -- I'm guessing it's part of the hype for the newer product.

Smiley
01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Wife has one and Loves her's, must have her log on to tell you about it.

Ray
01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
They've been sold out periodically since they launched it, what, a year and a half or so ago. So I don't think its a stunt. The early leaks I saw about 2.0 looks like it'll be a bit larger (but I don't think the screen is larger) but maybe a bit flatter. I'm sure it'll be as good as the first gen, but the first gen is just fine, so I can't see it being improved on all THAT much.

I really like it a lot. For books. I don't much like it for newspapers or most magazines, where I like to browse in a way that the Kindle doesn't make intuitive and I also like looking at the pictures, which the Kindle isn't really designed for and sucks at. For text intensive magazines like the Atlantic, I like it, but I don't like stuff like Newsweek or others.

But for books, it rocks. Its the IPod for books. I have a backlog of 10-12 books on there that I haven't started yet and another 3-4 that I'm at various stages of reading. It'll hold up to a couple hundred and waaaaaay more if you stick an SD card in it. When I travel I never have to worry about either carrying a lot of books or running out before the end of the trip. If I'm in the states, I can buy books right from the Kindle and have 'em beamed to me if I did run out or decide I just wanted to buy a different book. I like the screen - very easy on the eyes unlike backlit screens that flicker. I like being able to change the type size. Books are reasonably prices. Bestsellers are about $10, but there are tons of books in the $1-5 range, particularly the classics which tend to be dirt cheap. Because its not backlit, a battery charge will last for weeks if you don't turn on the cell type connection for downloading books. Maybe about a week if you leave it turned on. I only turn it on if I want to order a book, but if you subscribe to newspapers or magazines, you'd probably leave it on most of the time.

I'm sure someday I'll find the DRM on the books Amazon sells for it to be a PIA, but it doesn't bother me at all now. The only other competitive e-reader out there is the Sony. From what I know of it, its just fine once you have the books on it, but it doesn't do wireless, so you have to download everything to the computer and then use a cable to transfer to the device. Probably not a big deal, but the self contained nature of the Kindle is really nice once you get used to it. Also, books for the Sony are more expensive, but I expect the prices will come down for all of them soon as the technology catches on and competition starts for real.

I'm reading a lot more again since I got it almost a year ago. I have nothing but praise for it for books.

-Ray

dauwhe
01-29-2009, 02:54 AM
I have both the Kindle and the Sony Reader (and produce eBooks for a living). Kindle is much more user-friendly than the Sony Reader, and Amazon's website is far, far better than Sony's.

That said, the Sony has to potential to have better looking books (8 levels of grey on the screen, native support for ePub), but if I could only get one it would be the Kindle.

Dave