PDA

View Full Version : Master light vs Marcelo/Duende

tcbelise
01-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

My first post here. So far have been a lurker but learning quite a bit from everybody! So I'm in the market and looking for basically a steel race bike. I've always loved the steel Colnagos from the 80's and was set on getting a master light but recently have been lusting after a Peg. Anyone care to comment on the ride differences? Thanks

oldguy00
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
The Peg would probably have much better quality control than a Masterlight.

merckx
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I've had both a Master Light and a Marcelo. They are all good machines, but the Peg is two, three, ten notches ahead of the Colnago. The Marcelo is a very capable machine that squirts out when you stomp on it. It really has nice manners when the wood is dropped. It does not suffer from skittish manners even though it is very stiff. The Colnago is not a noodle, but it doesn't have the same Mojo. Finally, I would have a lot more faith in anything coming out of Dario's shop versus a steel Colnago built by who knows who, and who knows where.

Ozz
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
depending on your size.....there is a Marcelo in the classifieds that could give you a pretty inexpensive test ride.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55081

If I was looking for a new steel ride....wow.

Liberace
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
depending on your size.....there is a Marcelo in the classifieds that could give you a pretty inexpensive test ride.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55081

If I was looking for a new steel ride....wow.

What do you think about a CSI vs. Marcelo?

tcbelise
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far! Unfortunately that Marcelo is too big. Anyone have anything in the 53-54cm range?

Ozz
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I love my CSI, but have never ridden a Marcelo....so I can't give you comparison. Hence...."If I was looking..." ;)

I'd love to give one test ride however....along with a Landshark, Kirk, Sachs, etc.... ;)

For now though, my needs are filled.

Climb01742
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
i have a masterlight. i've owned a marcelo, and have a new one incoming. the 'nago is totally a-ok. nice, solid, classic steel ride. a marcelo is a whole other critter. it accelerates like mad. it's composed. it's precise. it's made by hand. the 'nago is good. the marcelo is good-er. good-est.

amator
01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

My first post here. So far have been a lurker but learning quite a bit from everybody! So I'm in the market and looking for basically a steel race bike. I've always loved the steel Colnagos from the 80's and was set on getting a master light but recently have been lusting after a Peg. Anyone care to comment on the ride differences? Thanks

I had a master piu and now a steel peg from early 90's and a fllet brazed Pina from the later 90's.
As far as I can remember, the colnagos were akin to highway cruisers Vs the nimbler ferrari's who do the twisties better

Steel lovin it

Aspen
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
http://bikyle.com/pegoretti.asp

cmg
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
"i have a masterlight. i've owned a marcelo, and have a new one incoming. the 'nago is totally a-ok. nice, solid, classic steel ride. a marcelo is a whole other critter. it accelerates like mad. it's composed. it's precise. it's made by hand. the 'nago is good. the marcelo is good-er. good-est."

was the geometry similar?

Climb01742
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
yes.

amator
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
http://bikyle.com/pegoretti.asp

i checked recently and i believe they have 55 marcelos n duendes...

anyone know which shop would have a 54 duende in the green arrows scheme or anything other than abvd?

dvancleve
01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Big Leg Emma on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/PEGORETTI-BIG-LEG-EMMA-TOP-TUBE-54CM-SEAT-TUBE-53-5-C-T_W0QQitemZ160312137012)

Doug

Thanks for all the replies so far! Unfortunately that Marcelo is too big. Anyone have anything in the 53-54cm range?

Climb01742
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
i checked recently and i believe they have 55 marcelos n duendes...

anyone know which shop would have a 54 duende in the green arrows scheme or anything other than abvd?

don't know what they have, but maybe try calling craig @ international bicycle center in newton.

http://internationalbike.com/

roguedog
01-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Been drooling over Pegs for a while and having lightly contemplating tax refund spend on a new ride.

Am trying to figure out the pros and cons of pay for a .. uh.. off the peg Peg vs going custom? I mean why Peg when you can get a custom bike?

(sorry if this is a hijack. if it is, then boot me and I'll start my own thread)

Jack Brunk
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Roguedog my man, you can get a custom Marcelo or Duende for no extra charge and it's a Pegoretti. You win twice. Contact Craig/Jerk at International bikes in Newton and he'll hook you up.

roguedog
01-30-2009, 12:07 AM
oh ... crap....

:eek:

... i think this is gonna hurt ....

(thanks jack, i think)

oh and why international bikes? i'm on the other coast.. does it matter?

Aspen
01-30-2009, 12:17 AM
oh ... crap....

:eek:

... i think this is gonna hurt ....

(thanks jack, i think)

oh and why international bikes? i'm on the other coast.. does it matter?

Yep, it's gonna hurt but you will be thankful.

amator
01-30-2009, 12:20 AM
don't know what they have, but maybe try calling craig @ international bicycle center in newton.

http://internationalbike.com/

thks, will do that

rickygarni
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
My advise would be to try to find a mid-late 80's Colnago Master or Grand Master Piu & a Marcelo! I found an '89 Master that I use for 'treat' commutes (my commute is about 30 miles) – somehow I feel like I am on vacation if I take the Marcelo, so I don't. I'm going to work, and I must remember that.

I have them both, have owned several Pegorettis & Colnagos, and would have to agree with most that the true delight is the Marcelo. And every once in a while you do find an eBay deal (I found a Luigino that way, believe it or not) but if the funds were available my greatest delight would be to go to Italy, be fitted properly, dream up the appropriately inappropriate paint scheme, drink, pass out, revive, repeat.

Ricky

Funds not presently available for me, though ... hopefully for you!

djg
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
No considerable experience with either, although I've had a bunch on a different Colnago and like the geo. A couple of friends have Marcelos (one is on his second, actually) and I have thrown a leg over one for a short ride. For me, the Nag seems like a nice road bike, that you could race certainly, but the Marcelo seems like a really up-to-date race bike -- lighter pipes and a solid platform all around. It's not a superlight frame by some contemporary carbon standards, and I'm not a weight weeny any way, but it's worth noting that a 54 should be right around 3 pounds -- all built up with the right parts and wheels it should feel like a totally contemporary race bike. For certain purposes I'd go with the Nag, but for my one main ride I think I'd lean seriously toward the Peg.

thinpin
01-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Why compare apples with pairs. A more useful comparison might be a Master X with a Luigino from Dario, as they are both lugged and have similar-ish tubing specs.
Rougedog buying a Peg only hurts the figures not the feelings! And even then ...not really

amator
02-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Why compare apples with pairs. A more useful comparison might be a Master X with a Luigino from Dario, as they are both lugged and have similar-ish tubing specs.
Rougedog buying a Peg only hurts the figures not the feelings! And even then ...not really

I had a luigino for a while bought from a forumite, decent power delivery.
In terms of handling, I couldnt judge as it was smaller than expected and (a 140mm stem wasnt the way to go)... gave it up to a someone who fit and now loves it.