PDA

View Full Version : Jacket shopping

Dr. Doofus
12-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Dear Serottans:

Your Doctor has always been of mere means until these last two years, and , as a consequence, has never owned a cycling jacket in 24 years of riding. Your Bucket-Beheaded One has done four hour trainer rides, set records of sorts for wearing the most jerseys, underlayers, sets of arm warmers, and cut-up sweatshirts under jerseys (a great trick, by the way, snip the arms off a good one and you have something to provide the warmth and wind protection adequate down to the 45-degree range), and has lived in a warmish climate where its never colder than 40 in the afternoon and if it is your Doofus just rides the trainer.

However, he is now going to buy a cycling jacket, an object which for years has seemed an exotic and perhaps unneeded luxury.

If you were to buy one, and only one, and were not to spend more than 180-200, which one would it be? Your Doofus knows penance, you all know merchandise....

Your Soon To Be Toasty Servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

pale scotsman
12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Doc - I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to cycling jackets. I mean what else can they be used for but cycling, and down here you might need one for a couple months tops. The lands' end marinac jacket works great for below 50 degree rides. Besides you can get it custom fitted (sound familiar?) for ~$70. I was using a Moonstone goretex pac lite jacket, but got kinda scared about wrecking and tearing up a high dollar shell. Just wear a jersey w/ pockets underneath and you've got what you need.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1931_48643_86695_65142_5:view=59,00.html?si d=8017112741449121250&CM_MERCH=PAGE_1931

So in short the pale one says save yer $ and buy a better bucket... :beer:

coylifut
12-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Our club uses Giordana Corsa jackets, they cost about $125. It works well for temps between 30 - 50. In the 30s, I wear a thin nylon vest over the base layer under the jacket. Voler makes a fairly inexpensive yet functional model as well.

Good luck

Kevan
12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Might I suggest that you consider a jacket with zip-off sleeves. Performance sold them a few years back and still might. I still have mine now about 4 years. It's thin and serves more as a wind block than anything else. The one disadvantage with these is, as a vest, it tends to be a bit too loose around the arms, thus flaps in the wind. Still, the jacket serves very well, especially for your climate where rides might start off cold but warm up as the day goes on. I don't think Performance has the corner on this design and some other manufacturer might have a better fit.

Lanny R. Levenson
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Performance came out with a Gore Tool jacket for about $130.00 plus a free pair of wind block gloves. The jacket has zip off sleeves and is "wind block." It came in yesterday and I won't have the opportunity to try it till Saturday. I tried the jacket on and thought it was a little big for the size.

Lanny

Chief
12-01-2004, 02:44 PM
The key to keeping warm is just what you have been doing: Layer, Layer, Layer. If you layer, then you only need a windbreaker. Check out Voler. I have their $60 jacket made of ripstop polyester with mesh under the arms. It is light weight and easily folds up so that it can be stuck in a jersey pocket. I don't care how much you pay for a jacket, you will sweat under it. I have an old Pearl Izumi jacket whose back is all mesh for ventilation and it works very well with the front providing wind protection. I don't know if PI still offers them.

Blastinbob
12-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I have a nice and warm campagnolo textran jacket, it's lined and waterproof.
If you decide to go this route , make sure you buy at least a size larger then normal. Here is a link to some on ebay. (http://search.ebay.com/campagnolo-jacket_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8)

Brian
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
After purchasing and returning Assos and Pearl Izumi jackets, I found the Craft Shift Windstopper to be the "perfect" cycling jacket. The jacket is windproof in the front only, so it breathes wonderfully through the entire back surface. It fits snug, but not tight, so there is no flapping at speed. The sleeves and tail are plenty long too. I’ve been comfortable in this jacket with a few other layers below 30 degrees and alone with a single base layer into the 50’s. It also doubles as a fabulous cross-country ski jacket with its incredible breathability! And on top of the great functionality, the quality is top shelf and it’s machine washable. It is the best piece of cycling (and ski) apparel I own. You can see it at www.craft-usa.com.

csb
12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
verge

jeffg
12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Habe nune, ach! Philosophie und leider auch Radfahren durchaus studiert mit heißem Bemühn ...

But I digress ... How cold are we talking about here? Down to freezing or well below? What type of tempature fluctuations are you likely to encounter while wearing said cycling garment? I say this having done much thinking and a reasonable amount of purchasing to prepare for (1) Days where it is about freezing and staying there or (2) days where it might hit the high 30s or a bit colder on a descent but then maybe go up to 60. Give me more details and I can better advise ... Oh, and don't kill Baucis and Philemon.

Too Tall
12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Biemme doesn't flap and style man won't wince:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/prod_list_display.ASP?wc=true&dept_id=L2~187

Peter
12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
You don't need to pay more than $75 for a GOOD jacket. Any more is wasted.

Layering is the way to go as various light layers of clothing are more versatile-you can mix and match to meet whatever the day's conditions. That said, I find fleece lined/insulated/windblock panelled jackets way too hot when added to the common undershirt + jersey underlayers.

Any of the available windshells should do you fine. I find GoreTex too hot, especially above 30 degrees. I prefer my untreated, nylon shell to my coated nylon shell;the coated nylon shell doesn't let enough air permeate the fabric, and although it doesn't get clammy you can wipe the moisture from the inside with your hand when you unzip it. For what it's worth, the fave untreated nylon is a hand-me-down Specialized jacket which is over 10 years old. The coated nylon jacket is a no-longer sold Colorado Cyclist model.

My jackets are similar to the Pearl Izumi Zephyr which is currently available. I think that's a great jacket at a superb price. Many other similar windshells are out there which will work great for you easily down to 20 degrees. Rather than mention a particular brand, I'll mention some features I think are important:

A tall, zip up collar to seal out wind. Soft material around the collar is a plus.
Sleeves should be cut so they don't ride up while in the riding position. Zipper should have a wind flap either on the inside or outside to stop the wind. A LARGE zipper pull is important so it's easy to find with gloved hands. Reflective trim and a bright color is always a bonus. And at least one pocket, preferably in the back, to stash something about wallet sized so I don't have to stop while riding if I want to remove glasses, etc.

Many brands can fit the bill and at a much lower price than you mention.

bostondrunk
12-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Why is it that you guys will shell out 200 clams for a pair of Assos shorts, but not for a good Assos Jacket that will last longer than a pair of bibs??

MartyE
12-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Etxe-Ondo Next to Skin (N2S) jacket.
Hard to find but well worth it.
Doug at bicyclingHub has some Assos Airblock jackets
on closeout (something you almost never see) in limited sizes .
Marty

quattro
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I also own the Gore Tool jacket discussed above. It is not a jacket really, but more like a heavier shirt made with Gore Windstopper material. The Windstopper material works great! The long sleeves zip off and you are not left with a vest, but instead a regular cycling jersey with short sleeves. In my opinion this is a great item as you can use it in colder windier weather with a layer or two underneath, into the high 30's or if you get wo warm simply zip off the sleeves. You can also use it in warmer weather as a regular short sleeve jersey. So, you actually get to wear it year round, better than having a cycling specific jacket sit around most of the year and not get any use. Available at Performance on sale right now.

Ozz
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Are you looking for warmth or waterproof??

I have found that the PI Zephyr jackets have suited my needs for all but the heaviest rains...and I only ride in those by accident.

I got my Zephyr for $40 from Sierra Trading Post...actually, my wife got it there and gave it to me.

The new Descent jackets look pretty nice...about $130. Not really a rain jacket, but looks good for 30+ degrees (with some layering). I think it is similar to the Exte Ondo jackets.

PBWrench
12-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Recently purchased a PI Trifecta jacket. Expensive at ~200, but in my view worth it. But then I ride in Minneapolis and am looking for a simple solution to 20-30 degree weather. The jacket is extremely breathable, well cut, lets you put your gloves under the cuffs as well. Good pockets too. I find that a mesh t-shirt, a Woolistic (or other) merino wool long sleeve undershirt is all I need under the Trifecta for cold, cold riding.

jeffg
12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
This jacket is wonderful. Warm, well-made (better than Castelli or even Assos IMHO), attractive, and under $200. The wind proofing and weight is perfect for 32-45 degrees. I recommend to the esteemed Dr. Doof.

93legendti
12-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Pearl Izumi Channel Jacket. I love 90 degree plus weather, so anything below 50 and I'm pretty cranky. I wear the PI when it is 45 degrees and colder. I still wear 2- 3 layers underneath it. Of course I keep a HR max of 145 bpm (at least for another month or so), so I am not generating a lot of body heat...

Kane
12-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Neither of these jackets are a cycling specific jacket, but they are made with the newest high tech material with a versatile cut that would work fine for the bike. Both jackets are water & wind resistant from an impregnated fabric with a tight enough weave design to significantly reduce wind. Unless you ride in the rain a lot that is a bigger issue in my area than daily rain.
1. REI Mistral Jacket - Men's:Schoeller® fabric
Reduced to: $69.83
Originally: $140.00
http://www.rei.com/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&textQuery=mistral&x=0&y=0

2. Arc'Teryx Stinger Jacket - Men's - Closeout
Price: $159.93
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47838969.htm?

-If rain is your biggest issue, consider going to Performance.com and getting a Membrane (of which 'Gore' is one), jacket. They shed water and rain equally well. You need to treat the jacket every year or two with Nikwax, but you'll get good protection if you do.

Cheers,

Kane

Dr. Doofus
12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, the LBS made a screaming deal on a Sugoi jacket that your Doofus couldn't refuse....

Ozz
12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for al the suggestions. In the end, the LBS made a screaming deal on a Sugoi jacket that your Doofus couldn't refuse....

Good deal! A friend of mine picked up a Sugoi last year that was really nice...very much like the Exte Ondo fabric - windproof, water resistant, with some stretch.