PDA

View Full Version : Assos Bib Shorts - short?

RichMc
12-01-2004, 11:15 AM
I just got a pair of 2005 Assos Mille bib shorts. I'm just shy of 6 feet tall with a 33" waist. According to the Assos fit chart I should be in a large size, which is what I got. Fits good around the waist & butt and just slightly snug over the shoulders. All of that is fine however the legs seem really short. I'm used to the bottoms being just above my knees on my Castelli & Giordana bibs but the Assos bottoms slide back to about 6 or 7 inches above my knees when riding. Is it natural for the Assos to be this short? The extra large sounds like it would be too big. Just seems weird that's all. Other than that they seem to be OK, interesting how they set the padding, but the legs seem too short.

zap
12-01-2004, 12:12 PM
yes.

I like the length. not girly short and not dorky long. mo

Brian
12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Compared to the other brands I own, my Assos Mille bibs are the shortest. But they are comfy...

wasfast
12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Agree with the others that they are short vertically. I'm 5'9 and the Large is definitely too short.

MGS9500
12-01-2004, 07:05 PM
When I got the Bib shorts I ordered a Large and X large.

I kept the X-large. I found the ASSOS sizing recommendation put me in a bib that was too short and not what I wanted.

The X-large ASSOS was similar to the Large in Castelli.

For what it's worth, I am 5"11" and 170lbs with a 32 inch waist.

I also wear the Assos jersey and found that I am most comfortable in the XLG top, which is the XX large.

I have a 40 inch chest.

Again, in a Castelli jersey, I am most comfortable in the X-Large

I like my bike stuff a little more comfortable and loose than some, but the ASOS sizing definately is too snug.

RichMc
12-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Ah nuts, not to make a pun. I was afraid it would come down to trying the larger size, maybe. I'm OK in the Castelli large sizes although the jerseys are just on the snug size in L but too loose in XL. It's always a bummer when no one locally carries the product so you can try it on. Thanks folks.

shaq-d
12-01-2004, 11:25 PM
and giordana shorts run long...
sd

dsimon
12-03-2004, 06:22 PM
at 5,10 200lbs the xlg would be better than a lg :no: i dont like wearing a bigger size its to phycilogocal........

Matt Barkley
12-03-2004, 06:54 PM
xlg is taller and for more girth than xl, owner of csi.

some pro guys like the shorter cut.

MGS9500
12-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Just to clarify sizing with Assos.

The XL is the extra large, the size I find most comfortable at 5'11" and 170 lbs.

The XLG is the Extra Extra large. WAY too big.

The TIR is the XXX Large.

Don't make the mistake and order the XLG thinking it is the Extra large.

In a jersey, I find the XL somewhat tight and the XLG a little loose, but still comfortable.

This only applies to Assos.

zap
12-04-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm 6'1" and wear a large!

i guess most are going for the lance look. whats next, black socks :D

RichMc
12-04-2004, 12:21 PM
The source that I got these Mille Bibs from has told me that the Mille's run shorter on the inseam than the other bibs and shorts. It happens with just the Mille's for some reason and not the others. I've got a pair of XL coming to try to compare. Depending on how the fit through the waist, butt & shoulders compares I'll either send the XL back or have a L for sale. For what it's worth they are yellow for that extra visibility. Haven't really ridden the Large. Just sat on the trainer with them for about 30 secs to see how high the inseam would travel. Dang, I've got a long ride planned this weekend and wanted to try them out. Will have to try them next weekend.

christian
12-04-2004, 01:14 PM
I have Assos Roubaix bib-tights. I bought a size L, as I am 5"11 and 163lbs. They are too short in crotch-to-shoulder distance.

Frankly, I'm kind of mystified by Assos sizing. The sizes seem intended for people with a spare tire, which is exactly what I wouldn't expect from Assos. I'm not exactly pro-cyclist slim, but the Assos clothes seem suited for people significantly larger in girth than me.

- Christian

SoCalSteve
12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
6' 4" anywhere from 245 to 260 depending on how much I've been training or how much I've been working and eating. I find that the Assos TIR in bib shorts and jerseys are a perfect fit for me. I love everything about them but the price and that they wear out too damn quickly!

Good luck,

Steve

RichMc
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
I finally got the Mille bibs in the XL size so I could have a good comparison. When the two pairs are laid out side to side there is very little difference in total length, the XL maybe just a tad longer but so close that it's hard to tell. (uh-oh) When actually trying them on the leg length is almost not any different at all and the shoulder strap is just barely a little longer. What is different is the extra cloth in the thigh circumference and in the waist. The XL, on me, has some wrinkles in the legs and a lot of loose gap in the back until I lean over. Seems like the XL is made more for folks who are bigger "around" than just taller. I'm 6', 170 lbs, 33" waist and 21" thigh. Guess I'll go with the large and convert that XL pair into a new crankset.