PDA

View Full Version : Early 9 spd shimano question

amator
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Not a campy v shimano thread....
Basically Been told that STI sits better with ergonomic bars.

All my keeper bikes have been set up on campy ergos and Ive been converting them to either Deda 215 or Nitto classic bends which sit well.

I'm trying to do a period correct Pinarello Radius (late 90's to early 2000) on 9 speed 5500 shimanos. The gruppo on the donor bike shifts very well and much more mechanical in feel (my preference)to the new dura ace 10 speed.
I'd also like to be open minded and do a longer trial of shimano.

i have a silver 26.0 3T forma bar which should match a gumetal 3T quill.
Not been crazy abt the shape with campy ergos but with shimano .....??????

Can anyone tell me whether the early 105 gruppo is decent enough (ive upgraded the front D to modern 105 and the Sq Taper BB to ultegra .
should I work my way up to 6500 ultegra at least for a fairer comparison agst chorus/record 10.

whats the diffrence across the range between 105. ultegra and dura ace at that time? Subjective opinions r fine.

lastly, hoods are decent shape BUT sticky and LBS doesnt stock them anymore, any quick fix?

Pete Serotta
01-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I would stick with Ultegra or Dura Ace for they both are durable and work well. 105 is not to my liking visually BUT it does work. PETE

pdxmech13
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Be wary of Ultegra shifters w/model #6500/65001. the had poor internals that failed. most could be warrantied by the original owners however there are alot out there still. The 7800 series was pretty bombproof and the shifter bodies are a little narrower.

amator
01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I would stick with Ultegra or Dura Ace for they both are durable and work well. 105 is not to my liking visually BUT it does work. PETE

I'm kinda certain the ultegra 6500 and the 105 5500 look the same. Are the finishes different?
Gruppo is coming off a NOS bike that has been sitting and crank length is ideal for me. LBS willing to throw in new set of cables for me as well

The ultegra set Ive seen has a different crank length and would bit a fair bit dearer having not been mounted. Both have the usual shifter 'surface corrosion 'which comes off with a bit of polish.

thwart
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Mostly a Campy guy... :banana:

But I've had good luck with 5500 series Shimano stuff in the past. Kind of like Campy Centaur... the value leader.
Although I'm sure some of the Shimano users have much more experience here.

Scrubbing the hoods with Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush has done nicely for the 'sticky' problem.

Pete Serotta
01-27-2009, 05:44 AM
A few years ago on a trip I rented a Specialized that had 105 and while not the prettiest it did work very well and looked to have had a rough life. My mention unless you were doing mega miles (ie 10000/yer) was based on the looks.. It killer deal and from you dealer that looks like a good way to go.

Additionally you are the original purchaser so if anything ever does happen you have the dealer backing,

I'm kinda certain the ultegra 6500 and the 105 5500 look the same. Are the finishes different?
Gruppo is coming off a NOS bike that has been sitting and crank length is ideal for me. LBS willing to throw in new set of cables for me as well

The ultegra set Ive seen has a different crank length and would bit a fair bit dearer having not been mounted. Both have the usual shifter 'surface corrosion 'which comes off with a bit of polish.

Kevan
02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
My Calfee's 8 year old lefthand Ultegra brifter did something ugly last fall and I haven't yet addressed it. I was at the end of a ride when I went to shift in the upper ring the brake lever got stuck pointing inward (imagine it a minute hand pointing at the 20 minute position), never returning to its proper position. Not until I was home, removed the cable, and grabbed the lever and with some grinding resonating from inside its knee joint got it back to the proper position.

I haven't yet tried to ride the bike, but I fear the worst has been done to the shifter. Anyone else go through this? Guess I'm in the market for some NOS Ultegra or Dura ace 9 speed shifters.

Welcome comments or offers.