PDA

View Full Version : warranty or not?

old fat man
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
here is a picture of the paint around the seat tube water bottle boss on a bike that was used for 3 months of normal 'cross racing in a dry part of the country. bike has less than 4 months of use and the issue was reported within 10 months from the purchase date to the manufacturer. would you expect this paint issue to be covered by a typical bike manufacturer's warranty?

[IMG]

Blue Jays
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
It is unlikely a manufacturer will correct "runs" in the paint as a warranty item.

SoCalSteve
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
It is unlikely a manufacturer will correct "runs" in the paint as a warranty item.

Looks more like bubbling and sure looks like a manufacturing defect to me...

Just one man's opinion,

Steve

Ken Robb
01-26-2009, 01:47 PM
the bike is raced and this is the only flaw in the finish? If it were my bike I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of stripping, shipping, rebuilding for a little cosmetic problem. If it's rusting I would sand it and touch-up paint the spots.

Lifelover
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
It looks like something that should be covered. However, considering that no warranty that I know of covers cost associated with break down, build up and initial shipping, it does not seem worth the trouble.

Find a close touch up paint and sand and repaint.

John M
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I think that it would/should be covered by warranty, but as was suggested, the defect is not large and wouldn't be worth my trouble. If it progresses or the rest of the paint flakes off, then I would pursue it.

Reminds of a frame that my dad had replaced by Schwinn years ago because of similar type of paint defect as what you are showing (bubbling around braze-ons). The replacement ended up being worse--maybe that is part of the reason that Schwinn lost their market share in the 80's.

avalonracing
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Currently it isn't too bad of an issue but it is likely that it will worsen over time.

rwsaunders
01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
It would be interesting to post the photo across the hall and see what the builders say.

Blue Jays
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
If it feels like it is "flaking" or "bubbling" that's one thing.
If it's an "overapplication of paint" causing paint runs, that is another.
Was this visible at the time of purchase?

old fat man
01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
it was not visible at the time of purchase. the same paint issues are apparent at all four water bottle bosses. disassembly was not an issue since the parts are being used on a non-cross bike at this point.

Peter P.
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
That's definitely not a paint run. It looks like some sort of corrosion due to galvanic action between the bottle boss rivet and the tube. If you're a pushy type of person willing to put up a stink you might be able to get a warranty (sometimes that's the only way to get results unfortunately) replacement but I'll bet you can expect the replacement frame to do the same thing.

Since it's a cyclocross frame which can expect to see nasty conditions (even though you said the frame had NOT until now), then you can reasonably expect the rest of the finish to show wear and tear. I know; you'd prefer the wear and tear come from actual use rather than self-destruction and I don't blame you. But in this case, I'd just blow it off as one of the potential drawbacks to owning an aluminum frame.

Lifelover
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
it was not visible at the time of purchase. the same paint issues are apparent at all four water bottle bosses. disassembly was not an issue since the parts are being used on a non-cross bike at this point.

That changes my opinion of the matter. If it is systemic, I would want it fixed by the builder.

rePhil
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
As a consumer one of the things on my checklist is welded bottle bosses instead of rivnuts.
I would ask the dealer to contact Serotta,document it, and ask for their advice.

Blue Jays
01-26-2009, 04:56 PM
"...I would ask the dealer to contact Serotta,document it, and ask for their advice..."That's a Serotta? YIKES!! :eek:

fierte_poser
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
As a consumer one of the things on my checklist is welded bottle bosses instead of rivnuts.
I would ask the dealer to contact Serotta,document it, and ask for their advice.

How do you know the pictured frame is a Serotta?

rwsaunders
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
How do you know the pictured frame is a Serotta?

Ditto...Peter P also referred to the frame being aluminum.

fourflys
01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
From the color, decals and 'cross reference, my guess is it's a Salsa Chile Con Crosso... if that is correct, the frame is of Scandium. I have a Las Cruces frame and don't have any issue like that. Not sure what kind of reactions can take place between the stainless screws and Scandium?

steelrider
01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
I think that this is more than a case of improper paint application. Those look like rust veins to me.

rePhil
01-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Yikes. I owe an apology. I assumed...and made an ass of myself that it was a Serotta. My apologies to all.

Lifelover
01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Yikes. I owe an apology. I assumed...and made an ass of myself that it was a Serotta. My apologies to all.

I almost made a similar mistake. Based on rwsaunders post, I assumed it was made by a builder from across the hall. Only after I reread it, did I realize that is not what he was implying.

The font clearly indicates it is not a Serotta.

labratmatt
01-26-2009, 09:23 PM
here is a picture of the paint around the seat tube water bottle boss on a bike that was used for 3 months of normal 'cross racing in a dry part of the country. bike has less than 4 months of use and the issue was reported within 10 months from the purchase date to the manufacturer. would you expect this paint issue to be covered by a typical bike manufacturer's warranty?

Yes, I would most certainly think this would be an issue that would be covered under warranty.

pdxmech13
01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
paint is warrantied from most manufacturers for 1 yr. to the original owner.

alancw3
01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
cannondale had a similiar corrosive issue on the clear (nude) 2006 six 13 frames at the carbon joint to the aluminum on the top tube close to the head tube. it was only a problem with the clear coat frames not the painted (colored) ones and purely cosmetic. something to do with the clear coat being to hard or brittal. anyway to their credit c'dale replaced countless frames without question for this problem to the original owner under warranty regardless of time through their dealers without cost to the customer from what i am told.

kerrycycle
01-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Get it fixed if you can.

At the end of the day: it is a cross bike. It should have hit the ground a few times and should by this point have other character flaws as a result of the fall season. I would call the bike broken-in and be done with it. The thought of keeping cross bikes in pristine condition is beyond me.

Apologies if this sounds too harsh.

old fat man
01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Get it fixed if you can.

At the end of the day: it is a cross bike. It should have hit the ground a few times and should by this point have other character flaws as a result of the fall season. I would call the bike broken-in and be done with it. The thought of keeping cross bikes in pristine condition is beyond me.

Apologies if this sounds too harsh.

i agree, it's a bike and it's expected to show use. same as a new car, one shouldn't get bent out of shape when one gets a few scratches. but if the paint starts to bubble after 4 months of ownership, that's a different story. the question here is whether the paint issue pictured is "normal wear and tear" or poor quality work from the factory.

fwiw the company has decided to cover this defect as part of their warranty.

Blue Jays
01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Excellent news update! :beer:

old fat man
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
anyone want to purchase a 55cm (fits like a 58cm) (http://www.salsacycles.com/chiliconcrosso08.html) Salsa Chili con Crosso in team edition paint? Brand new warranty replacement.

John M
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
anyone want to purchase a 55cm (fits like a 58cm) (http://www.salsacycles.com/chiliconcrosso08.html) Salsa Chili con Crosso in team edition paint? Brand new warranty replacement.

why are you selling the replacement?

old fat man
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
when the saga started i decided to replace this frameset with something else. i loved the ride and fit of the salsa so i had a custom bike built to be very similar (with a few options that better suit my needs). i don't really have a need for this one now, even though it was light, fast, and fun to ride.

fourflys
03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
It's a great frame! I have a Las Cruces, which is basically that frame with a little different fork and Disc Brake tabs...