PDA

View Full Version : Who has a power meter?

Charley
11-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I'd like to get a power meter but can't decide which way to go. I don't know anyone with one so thought I would tap the forum's wisdom.

Here's my thoughts so far.

SRM appears to be the gold standard but is out of my price range.

I could swing a Powertap and they seem to have a good rep.
Pros:
I need a new rear wheel anyway
Relatively easy to switch between bikes
Cons:
Only works with the one wheel
HRM only works on the bike (can't use it while spinning or cross training)

Polar has the new 725i. I haven't heard much feedback and frankly, the power function looks a bit wierd.
Pros:
HRM can be used separately
Works with any wheel
Cons:
Difficult to switch between bikes
New/no track record

Others, such as HAC4, appear to use computed power but not actual measured.

Anyone have real life experience with these or any other power meters? Care to share?

Thanks in advance.

Charley

dcotcamp
11-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Charley,

I have SRM Pro and Powertap setups. I think that unless you can get the SRM Pro, the Powertap system is the way to go. There are significant issues with linearity with the SRM Amateur system. Even with the Pro, the slope of the system often 'drifts' over time. I calibrate mine against my powertap on a regular basis.

The Powertap system doesn't drift, and is -much- cheaper than the SRM. You could almost get 3 Powertap systems for the price of the SRM Pro.

As you said, switching the PT wheel is simple. I just have the wiring harness installed on any bikes I might want to use with the PT. Moving the crankset (SRM) is a bit more involved than a wheel swap, though certainly not a huge deal.

I personally wouldn't be interested in the Polar system. If you want an HRM for cross training, it's simple enough to get a standalone HRM for that.

I'd also consider the purchase of Cyclingpeaks a nearly essential part of the power meter purchase (www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com). Joining the Topica 'Wattage' email list is pretty valuable, too.

You're right that the HAC system only estimates power. I think most folks would be better off saving their money for a 'real' power meter.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Good luck,
Dennis