PDA

View Full Version : which way to wrap CW or CCW

Ahneida Ride
01-23-2009, 10:41 PM
The Park Site recommend this way to wrap.
Gee ... other U-tube videos do it the opposite ....
who do I believe ?

Looking from the rider's point of view (from the back of the bike) wrap each side the tape rotates inward from the top. In other words, wrap the right bar counter-clockwise and the left bar clockwise. Note the image below.

http://www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_help/bar01.jpg

http://www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_help/bar14.jpg

Louis
01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I too do it that way.

My logic is that when the tape is installed this way my hands will tend to tighten the tape, especially when they are on the tops.

L

Ahneida Ride
01-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Lewis ... I believe you are correct ..

This means that many shop guys are doing it sub optimality. :rolleyes:

Ablaut
01-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I too do it that way.

My logic is that when the tape is installed this way my hands will tend to tighten the tape, especially when they are on the tops.

L

This is my logic too, but I wrap the opposite way. My hands tend to move out on the drops and forward on the tops, so I make sure that I wrap towards these directions.

fierte_poser
01-23-2009, 11:10 PM
This is my logic too, but I wrap the opposite way. My hands tend to move out on the drops and forward on the drops, so I make sure that I wrap towards these directions.

+1 and welcome to the forum

Ahneida Ride
01-24-2009, 12:04 AM
This is my logic too, but I wrap the opposite way. My hands tend to move out on the drops and forward on the tops, so I make sure that I wrap towards these directions.

Thanks Ablaut, welcome to the asylum...

Ok ...so it really depends on how one tends to rotate their hands ..
Gotcha !

happycampyer
01-24-2009, 04:51 AM
In the northern hemisphere, you wrap the Park way; in the southern hemisphere, you wrap the other way. :)

I like the way that my fingers sit in the "valleys" of the tape in the tops and the drops when it's wrapped to the outside (counterclockwise left, clockwise right). YMMV.

djg
01-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I do it the Park way, but I'm not sure it matters that much (whereas starting at the stem is pretty much guaranteed to be a disaster, whether you go cw or ccw).

Peter P.
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Louis gets it. Done this way, your tape should never unravel on the tops from rotational forces of your hands gripping the bars. In my experience, it does solve that problem. I used to think it was the fault of poor adhesive.

happycampyer
01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Louis gets it. Done this way, your tape should never unravel on the tops from rotational forces of your hands gripping the bars. In my experience, it does solve that problem. I used to think it was the fault of poor adhesive.Maybe in theory... I have several bikes and some are wrapped one way and some are wrapped the other (for the ones I didn't wrap myself, let's call it mechanic's choice), and I've never had 'bar tape unravel from rotational force with the ones wrapped anti-Park-wise. One recent purchase is a cross bike from IBC, and the 'bar tape was wrapped anti-Park-wise. Unless Craig was messing with me, I doubt that he would put the 'bar tape on in a way that he thought it would unravel. Trust me, it doesn't unravel.

Dave
01-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I've always wrapped in the opposite direction suggested by Park and never had a problem with loosening tape.

PacNW2Ford
01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I've always wrapped in the opposite direction suggested by Park and never had a problem with loosening tape.

Same here.

happycampyer
01-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Scientist agree, however, that it does contribute to global warming... :)

ButtedMoron
01-24-2009, 01:06 PM
inside-out which I guess would also be called anti-Park

BumbleBeeDave
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Scientist agree, however, that it does contribute to global warming... :)

. . . which way I wrap my bars lest they use the information to discriminate against me in hiring! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I start at the plug end with the tape under the end and wrap outward. That way by the time I get it wrapped around to the bar tops each wrap on the inside toward the stem is overlapped on the tape farther outboard. My problem on the bar tops has never been so much the tape unwrapping as it's been the edges curling up as my hands invariable push outboard on the bars a bit and hit that edge if it's wrapped the other way.

BBD

PS . . . RAY . . . Check your cell messages and e-mail!

Louis
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
OK then, if we think the direction of wrap is mostly a question of personal preference, I would venture to say that a key factor in determining bar tape wrap job quality is technique as you make your way around the hoods.

I remember reading a RR a while back that suggested cutting the tape at the hoods and starting over on the other side. I've never tried that.

Louis

cogswell23
01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I wrap to the outside on the drops, but do a little figure eight trickery at the levers to wrap the tops so that the tape wraps over the top towards the saddle. I think when I'm in the drops, my wrists tend to rotate outwards a bit, but when I'm climbing with my hands on the tops, I tend to drop my wrists downward, which would rotate the tape towards me.

In the real world, it probably doesn't matter a lick. I do a nice tight wrap, and no amount of wrasslin' with the bars is going to undo that before its time. I'm really anal about wrapping my bars, but it's worth it--my wrap jobs are super pro.

bagochips3
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with Bumble Bee Dave and that's why I do it anti-Park-wise. But I also think it depends on how you got around the hoods: same direction as you started or figure 8 or whatnot. My goal is to have the tops finish so the edges don't curl on me (since I spend 98% of my time on the tops or hoods), so I start anti-Park-wise and just go around the hoods and continue in the same direction. I would start Park-wise if I went around the hoods differently.