PDA

View Full Version : Ribble Cycles - Feedback???

terrytnt
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, there are very good prices and discounts running this month at Ribble Cycles (i.e., new Campy Shamal Wheels - Tubulars for $715)

But I've never used this UK resource... any feedback from you all? What UK Cycle Shop might you recommend...

many thanks,

tnt

mschol17
01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I've had good luck with them. Shipping is expensive, but if you buy enough it's still a good deal.

terrytnt
01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
YES... the shipping was somewhat high ~$40, however, the price point was outstanding!

thank you for your feedback...

mandasol
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I've ordered from

wiggle - has free shipping if you reach a minimum order, and they seem to update their inventory online fairly accurately, they take paypal which is nice

total cycling - they have a shipping charge no matter what, they don't really update their inventory, and if an item is out of stock they're not good about following up to let you know, but they do have good pricing and I have gotten some good deals from them

probikekit - free shipping, they update their inventory online but it's off sometimes, and orders sometimes get mixed up, but follow up is pretty good

ribble - shipping seems to be the highest, but they seem to have a lot of 10-15% off sales that drops their prices low enough to make up for the shipping

terrytnt
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the overview of UK cycling businesses. I agree that Ribble has incredible prices, just wanted to be certain the business is legit and that there were no unseen pitfalls.

Sounds like I'll order my Campy wheels from them at a hugh savings :banana:

Dave
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Check out items like tires too. When Ribble has a 15% off sale, their prices are often the lowest. Shipping items smaller than wheels is only about $30 or whatever 20 pounds is that day. If something is out of stock they will usually ship most of the order immediately and the rest later at no charge. Total Cycling will not do that. They often charge your card then wait for two weeks or more without shipping anything.

Some people forget to deduct the 15% VAT when comparing prices. Some sites take it off when quoting USD, but Ribble doesn't take it off until you checkout. The VAT is usually listed right with the price.

terrytnt
01-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Dave for your insights... bottom-line is Ribble appears to be a reputable business and certainly one whom offers good prices.

bw77
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I recently received a few Campy parts from Ribble. Excellent prices, even with the high shipping. The parts were in plastic bags, not in the original Campy cardboard boxes I have always seen in the past. So I cannot be sure that nothing was crushed or bent. Are Campy parts still shipped in cardboard boxes from other vendors?

Edit:
I would like to add that the plastic bags containing the Campy parts were shipped in a cardboard "sleeve" - a box with the ends pulled out flat. It seems to me that this method of packing provides little protection from crushing. I wonder if this is done to reduce volume and thus cost of shipping? I don't mind if the parts are in bags, and the bags are packed in crumpled up paper, and a rigid cardboard box is used for shipping. It seems to me like they could have used more care in shipping.

MarcusPless
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I recently received a few Campy parts from Ribble. Excellent prices, even with the high shipping. The parts were in plastic bags, not in the original Campy cardboard boxes I have always seen in the past. So I cannot be sure that nothing was crushed or bent. Are Campy parts still shipped in cardboard boxes from other vendors?

I wonder if the plastic bagged parts are OEM parts (hence the lower price). I've purchased Campy items from Nashbar in the past; sometimes the item was in the usual Campy box and sometimes it was in a plastic bag. Never had any problems with any of these purchases, but the plastic bags did surprise me the first time I saw them.

--Marcus

Dave
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
All of the Campy parts that I've ordered from Ribble in the last couple of months came in the original boxes, with instructions.

kipjac
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey guys, there are very good prices and discounts running this month at Ribble Cycles (i.e., new Campy Shamal Wheels - Tubulars for $715)

But I've never used this UK resource... any feedback from you all? What UK Cycle Shop might you recommend...

many thanks,

tnt
I purchased a pair of Carnac shoes from Ribble a little over 2 years ago and the shoes were shipped to me within 3 weeks. I had no problem with the ordering process whatsoever. I would definitely recommend them.

sokyroadie
01-26-2009, 01:09 PM
All of the Campy parts that I've ordered from Ribble in the last couple of months came in the original boxes, with instructions.

+.75 :D

I would give it a +1 but 25% of my order was in bags and the rest in boxes. No big deal either way.

Jeff

terrytnt
01-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Okay... here's a new one I heard from Lickton Bike today. Now, in all fairness, Bob and the folks have a great business, very competitive. When I mention prices in UK (no specifics), Bob said you will VOID your Campy warrantee if you purpose merchandise in Uk for the US.

Does anyone know if this is true? Bob, said Campy will provide a 4 year warrantee service if I buy in the US.

What say you folks about this? :confused:

cw05
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM
How often does someone really try to warranty a individual bike component? Maybe I'm an anomaly here, but I worked as a mechanic at a bike shop (sadly no longer do...best job of my life) and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw a shifter or derailleur warranted. The sad reality is that you either rebuild it or buy a new one. Frames on the other hand are another story.

MarcusPless
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
The problem with Campy USA warranty service is that they don't want to deal with individual customers, just bike shops, AFAIK. I've only dealt with them once, when I had a cracked freehub shell on a Record hub (that I actually bought new) that was still very much under warranty. Even though Campy USA is less than 20 miles from me I still had to take my freehub shell to an LBS and have them ship it to Campy USA, and then wait for the replacement by mail. Since I buy most of my bike stuff used this was a rare event for me. :D

--Marcus

terrytnt
01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Okay guys, I get the point. Truth be told, I've rarely needed to repair Campy parts under warrantee. When a problem existed (broken spoke on my Neutron Tubular Rim) my LBS handle the repair.

So, if I can save literally hundreds of $ buying through Ribble, perhaps I should accept the risk.

thanks...

bw77
02-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Update on my recent Ribble order. I bought a Campy triple crankset (they call it a chainset). It arrived with only one crankbolt. I emailed, and they sent me another crankbolt. But it was the 3-piece kind, and the first crankbolt was the 2-piece kind. Emailed again, twice, no reply.

Is this a big deal - no.
Did I expect better service - yes.

thinpin
02-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Ordered a centaur gruppo (except for brakes) last Oct. All came as expected, everything boxed except for the 12 -25 cassette which came in a bag. I skimmed thru' the lot and all appeared to be in order. My frame arrived last week and when I went to built it I noticed the cassette was not centaur but mirage or veloce. I've emailed them and await a reply. Will keep you posted.

Dave
02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
The 2009 Centaur cassette is essentially the same as a 2008 Veloce. If you expected one pair of cogs on a carrier, that's no longer the case.

GuyGadois
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I am holding out my judgement until I get my 09 Centaur group. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped from Ribble. I have been told twice it was "shipping tomorrow" but still haven't heard anything. The folks who work there are nice enough and they answer the phone. Fingers crossed.

-GG-

fierte_poser
02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I got my 09 Centaur levers and Eurus wheels from them in less than two weeks. Order was placed about a month ago.

Happy customer here!

sbornia
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I received my order for Chorus fd, 2 Centaur chains, 2 Centaur cassettes, and Record bb cups in eight days. Faster than most U.S. retailers.

thinpin
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
The 2009 Centaur cassette is essentially the same as a 2008 Veloce. If you expected one pair of cogs on a carrier, that's no longer the case.
OH! :o I wish Campag would update their manuals and web site then.
Thanks Dave

ChipRI
02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
There is a thread on another forum discussing possible charge card fraud stemming from recent orders placed with Ribble and Wiggle:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=514138&highlight=ribble

I have no personal knowledge or experience with these vendors, or the alleged problems. I'm only posting this as an FYI.

thinpin
02-28-2009, 03:02 AM
MMM -apparently I've just been buying airline tickets in the middle east following a Ribble sale. Bank is investigating as we speak

rockdude
02-28-2009, 05:49 AM
My bank just issued me a new card because somewhere I shopped had a problem with account numbers being stolen. They didn't say where..... I have bought from TC, PBK and Ribble in the last four months. I don't know if one of them is the problem but I bet their is a good chance of it. Good thing is that you are protected on most cards.

zmudshark
02-28-2009, 08:22 AM
A week and a half ago I ordered a Centaur grouppo from Ribble, along with some other parts. I had the order in my hands in four days.

My credit card info was stolen shortly (hours) after I made the Ribble purchase. I informed Ribble, and had a new card issued, with no apparent long term damage.

I had my CC Co issue another card, on a different account with a low credit ceiling which I will now use for online purchases. It's a PITA to change all the auto payments I have, and invariably forget one or more.

One poster in the thread mentioned above said a trojan warning appeared when he went to an unnamed UK cycle page. From all the reports I've seen on various forums, I think it is more likely a database was compromised.

kgreene10
02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I ordered some Assos bibs through Ribble about 6 weeks ago, got an amazing deal despite the fairly high cost of shipping, plus they threw in two brand new Mavic wheelbags for free.

bigbill
02-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I ordered my Chorus 11 stuff from Ribble as well as a set of Zonda wheels. Great prices but my Visa was flagged by my bank for two suspicious charges to napster. I'm getting a new visa in 7-10 days.

kmc
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Just an FYI to folks. I too ordered from Ribble and now just received a fraudulent charge on my cc to itunes. The card has been shut down.

Sucks too...got a great price on a wheelset and tires...ordered it on a monday and had it in my hands that Friday.

No more Ribble for me unless they can fix their security leak.

gone
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Yep, I also got flagged for a charge at "an internet record service" according to my bank. Fortunately, they caught it. No more business with Ribble which is a shame because they have pretty good prices.

Mshue
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
There is a thread on another forum discussing possible charge card fraud stemming from recent orders placed with Ribble and Wiggle:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=514138&highlight=ribble

I have no personal knowledge or experience with these vendors, or the alleged problems. I'm only posting this as an FYI.

I had a fraudulent charge from DirecTV after placing an order with wiggle. Had to close the card. Very frustrating.

GuyGadois
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Strangley, I placed my order with Ribble and my credit card company called my house and left a message saying there was a fraudulent charge and the card was cancelled and reissued. I am not sure if this has to do with Ribble being the perceived fraudulent charge (because it is overseas) or because fraud made shortly after the order with Ribble. In any case, it is such a PITA switching CC numbers! :crap:

-GG-

97CSI
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Ordered a centaur gruppo (except for brakes) last Oct. All came as expected, everything boxed except for the 12 -25 cassette which came in a bag. I skimmed thru' the lot and all appeared to be in order. My frame arrived last week and when I went to built it I noticed the cassette was not centaur but mirage or veloce. I've emailed them and await a reply. Will keep you posted.The new Centaur is the old Veloce. All loose cogs except the big-2 (26-29) on the 13-29 is what I've been told. Hence, the price drop on New Centaur cassettes.

kipjac
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM

many thanks,

tnt
I bought a pair of Carnac shoes from Ribble a couple of years ago; the order was to me sent fairly quickly, in good condition, and I believe the price was extremely competitive. It's the only thing I've ever purchased from them so my experience is limited, but it was good for me.

GuyGadois
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I received my Centaur 09 group from Ribble today. No customs due!

Everything was in box except the chain, brifters and FD. It all looks good to go.

It was a hell of a deal but took a month from order to arrival. Ribble claimed the RD was on backorder

deechee
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
so my card got cut last night when the cc called me.

I ordered from probikekit two weeks earlier, ribble a few months back. Like everyone says, a mysterious itunes charge, and then a bunch of activity yesterday when I didn't even have my cc card on me (was in my laundry pile) Charges in Israel too.

Guess I gotta pay retail for me tires. That or they told me i can buy visa gift certificates and use those.

bnewt07
05-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Within the UK Ribble used to have a poor reputation, especially for their own brand frames and stock/incorrect despatch issues. That seems to have improved lately and I've never had any problems with the few things I've bought BUT I think it is fair to say Wiggle have been around a fair while, are very efficient and have an excellent reputation for sorting out any problems rapidly. They always get good rating in web surveys for customer satisfaction and the choice is wide, if they say it is in stock it always is and the prices are good. I've bought plenty from them and you get a loyalty discount if you use them regularly. I'd use them or Parker International (another very well established name, perhaps not as cheap but sell good stuff) as my first pick of UK web shops.

Bruce

rustychisel
05-15-2009, 04:04 AM
I may be teaching you to suck lemons here, but for consumables and other bits I can't go past www.biketiresdirect.com or www.bicyclinghub.com and for most things good www.speedgoat.com

Stay at home shopping for you yanks and less than 5 working days to my office in Australia, no card troubles I've found. That's a big thumbs up to them.

rounder
05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Did anyone have Paypal problems after buying from an on-line shop. I have only bought a few things from Wiggle, but they were without incident.

jonjones13
05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi,
being in the UK I can vouch for Ribble, might be a bit slow/out of stock sometimes but they are indeed a genuine bike shop who've been round for years. Might also want to check out chainreactioncycles.com or wiggle

Bought stuff from Ribble in the past with no worries, totally safe to use, proper shop etc.

Jon.

climbgdh
05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I've also recently bought a complete 09 Centaur group from Ribble. Excellent service. Shipped to Canada in less than 10 days. I'd use them again. I always try to support my LBS but when I had savings of about $450 just for this order it was hard to not order from Ribble.