PDA

View Full Version : record brake help

Kines
01-11-2004, 08:26 AM
I know there are probably more appropraite forums to solicit tech help, sorry..... I am in the process of installing my Record group, and everything is going well, except the rear brake pivots freely on its post. The post itself is attached quite firmly to the frame and is not moving. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. Please help. Thanks in Advance.
KN.

pale scotsman
01-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Are you missing the serrated washer that goes on the outside of the brake bridge?

e-RICHIE
01-11-2004, 08:59 AM
after you yank it down tightly, return it to center using a 15mm cone wrench on that flatly thingy area on the bolt. it's similar to using a 13mm cone wrench on the front for the same reason.

e-RICHIE

ps

hey dave:

:hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

SPOKE
01-11-2004, 09:11 AM
e-richie is correct. the newer record rear calipers are designed to "free float". once the center bolt is tightened then use the 15mm open end wrench on the flats just behind the caliper arms to center the caliper over the wheel.

Kines
01-11-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks guys. Yes, the serrated washer is there. Actually there are two of them - I didn't know if this was an accidental second one added at assembly, or if it has a purpose, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it on. And I tried it with only one washer, but of course that made no difference. As far as the 15mm open end wrench adjustment goes, i read about that in the manual, but maybe I just don't understand what the torque is to be applied against. I'll work on it some more later today.

Thanks again
KN

e-RICHIE
01-11-2004, 09:56 AM
no torque knowledge needed. just tighten it from behind, as usual. after that, i'll be too far over to one side. just take the 15mm and center it. it'll be too easy for any technical explanin'.

e-RICHIE

ps

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Kines
01-11-2004, 12:55 PM
OK I got it - thanks for the help. I just had to get past the disbelief that the "float" was normal (even though SPOKE said it was). Then, the problem I was having was just that the centering of the calipers has to be very precise when using their recommended 1mm pad clearance. If it's off by a mm or even a little less, even if it looks centered before applying the brake, one pad will then be rubbing the rim after applying the brake.

Again, thanks for the assistance!

Too Tall
01-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Again, another small leap of faith....with the pivot bolt loose...clamp the brakes and retighten. Voila' it will be perfectly centred relative to your current rim position. Did anyone mention that Park makes an offset brake bolt wrench? you don't need it ;)