PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What color headset: black or silver?

fierte_poser
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
New build of an mid-90s frame/fork. What color headset do you think would look best?

maximus
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
What group are you using?

Then, and only then, can I cast an valid vote ;)

thwart
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Like the bike.

Would like it even more with a silver fork, with yellow in the lug cutouts...

fierte_poser
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
What group are you using?

Then, and only then, can I cast an valid vote ;)

How could I have forgotten such crucial information? :p

Its a mishmash...

2006 Grey Centaur shifters
2006 Grey Centaur Long Cage RD
2006 Silver Centaur Triple FD
2006 Silver Record Triple Crankset
200? Silver Daytona Brakes

Silver Nitto Pearl Stem
Silver Nitto Seatpost
black bars most likely (Ritchey 'new' WCS Classic)
White bar tape
White Aliante saddle

Proton wheels as shown

Oh...and a really slow dude on top of it all. :D

fierte_poser
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Like the bike.

Thanks! I bought it for $120 from my best friend's Dad...the one who got all of us into cycling in the first place.

The fork is actually from a Serotta Atlanta. The original fork (which I have) is painted grey to match the frameset, but it is a 'Direct Drive' aluminum fork...made by Kinesis for Specialized I think. I bought the replacement steel fork from a forumite after I got the frame because I didn't want to be on the bike went the Direct DRIVE fork turned into the Direct DIVE model. ;)

Maybe I'll have the fork chromed someday. Good suggestion!

Kent

fiamme red
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Proton wheels as shownHow did you manage to wrestle the Michelin tires on them? :p

Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra or Tange Levin would be my choices.

To me, the King Voce is still too loud. ;)

Steve in SLO
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd say silver since it'll be a bit of a classic build. I love the Centaur grey components, but they're hard to match with a colored headset since they are kind of bluish.

Oh, and I gotta agree...calm that fork down a bit. Thwart has it right: Silver with yellow cutouts, oh yeah.

fierte_poser
01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
How did you manage to wrestle the Michelin tires on them? :p

Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra or Tange Levin would be my choices.

To me, the King Voce is still too loud. ;)

Bought the wheels with the tires already installed from a forumite, so I guess you could say I paid someone do the wrestling for me!

Oh...and I should have mentioned it, but I need a 34mm stack height...at least I think I do. The fork length from the top to the bottom of the fork crown race seat is 184mm and the headtube is 50mm. Stack height must be 34mm or slightly less, correct? Chris King Gripnut goes from 33-38mm.

fierte_poser
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh, and I gotta agree...calm that fork down a bit. Thwart has it right: Silver with yellow cutouts, oh yeah.

How about some carefully placed black electrical tape for that bumblebee look? :beer:

LO^OK
01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Go with a silver non CK (too vulgar) headset. I like the yellow fork, it opens the grey frame. Now if you are bold enough to go with a red seat post and a "viper" green stem for that Benetton/80s racing look...

R2D2
01-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Silver Cane Creek S6

Ozz
01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
silver....

Cool bike...I had a 1993 Allez Pro....looked just like that but with yellow decals on the downtube, and an alumimum fork. I sold it after I got my CSI to a friend who was just getting into cycling.

Have fun with the build.

Volant
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Black Acros or CC110.

Blue Jays
01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Sotto Voce in either silver or black would look sharp.

fiamme red
01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I like the yellow fork too -- goes really well with the decals.

I didn't know that Cane Creek made threaded headsets? :confused:

jhcakilmer
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I would use black accents (heaset, stem, seatpst, etc) with the black wheels, or silver accents with silver wheels.......

Waldo
01-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Like the bike.

Repaint the fork silver, please.

Joellogicman
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Silver Nitto Seatpost

I would go with the silver CLB seat post - Wallbike sells them.

The CLB design is not changed from when the frame was made. I find the CLB single bolt much easier to adjust than the Nitto set up.

If you want a two bolt seat post, Thomson's old but reliable is also easier to adjust than Nitto. Of course Thomson's space age aluminum would not look right with that frame. (a very nice frame it is)

Silver Sotto King for me. But ya know, if you could score an nos silver Campy - and there are plenty about ...

DHallerman
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I bought the replacement steel fork from a forumite after I got the frame because I didn't want to be on the bike went the Direct DRIVE fork turned into the Direct DIVE model.
You know, I have that exact same frame, with the original fork...and haven't had the chance to build mine up yet either.

My questions are about the fork: Is it really true that the aluminum fork is likely to bend? Or is that really more hyperbole than fact?

I mean, I just thought it would be neat to try, since variety is a key reason why I have more than one bike.

Dave, who votes for good-looking silver although the sotto voce Chris King in silver ain't really different than the logo one although I understand you can get a fully non-logo one on special order from Aspire VeloTech

fierte_poser
01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
You know, I have that exact same frame, with the original fork...and haven't had the chance to build mine up yet either.

My questions are about the fork: Is it really true that the aluminum fork is likely to bend? Or is that really more hyperbole than fact?

I mean, I just thought it would be neat to try, since variety is a key reason why I have more than one bike.

Dave, who votes for good-looking silver although the sotto voce Chris King in silver ain't really different than the logo one although I understand you can get a fully non-logo one on special order from Aspire VeloTech

Dave,

My understanding of aluminum is that it fails catastrophically once it reaches its fatigue/stress limit. So, I'm not worried about bending, I'm worried about the fork coming apart in a catastrophic and untimely manner. Here is a thread I posted about it nearly two years ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25788

Kent

djg
01-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Take that precious original aluminum fork in for recycling -- lots of good aluminum there and there's no reason to leave aluminum in the shape of a bike fork, which might confuse somebody into thinking it's a real fork that should be used on a bike.

Sorry -- saw the threads and stack height requirements and maybe cane creek is no good. What about shimano? The DA headset is really nice and might be close in stack height -- if that's off, check out the older xtr.

DHallerman
01-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Hmmm...these comments about the original aluminum fork on my Specialized Allez Pro is pushing me toward replacement.

But I don't really want carbon, only because I have other steel frame/carbon fork bikes and want something else.

But, what about a steel fork?

Soma Fabrications has them in both black or chrome, either would go, I would think.

Some Fab Forks (http://store.somafab.com/sothfo.html)

The price seems right to match with this frame. And they have both threaded and threadless.

Has anyone here used one of those forks?

Dave, who is leaning toward chrome with the silver frame

tv_vt
01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
because that fork is butt ugly!

DHallerman
01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
because that fork is butt ugly!

Well, that's one take on the topic. I think the fork crown on the Soma Fab fork is kinda traditional looking.

Let's see, let's go to the bottom line: Where can one get a steel road fork, threaded, one-inch, at a reasonable price (like the $130 for the Soma Fab)?

I mean, I know various excellent custom builders will make forks, but wouldn't the prices be significantly higher?

Dave, who wonders what the previous poster would think is an attractive steel road fork

fiamme red
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I've ridden many miles on Kinesis and Vitus aluminum forks. Neither was super-light. I had no idea that they were prone to catastrophic failure, any more than carbon forks.