PDA

View Full Version : jersey color

Kines
01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Does anyone happen to know whether jersey color affects how subjectively hot the fabric is when riding in the sun and heat?

My guess is that it's not noticable, based on a camera bag test I read (where the fabric color doesn't matter for measured internal pack temp) and, heck, it seems to work for Caisse d'epargne.....

I'm hoping that modern jersey fabric has a specific heat capacity that is low enough to make color effect negligible, and that we can move forward with black for a jersey design, but does anyone know for sure?

TIA
KN

William
01-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Black always feels warmer when the sun is shining. I have a Black OSU jersey that the team went to when the logo changed to the "manhole cover". The design is pretty hideous and the only time I'll usually wear it is when it's cool and sunny because of the heat absorption. I can feel a difference.

I'm sure the how tight or loose the weave is can make a difference though.

William

R2D2
01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
White is cooler.

1centaur
01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I remember an explanation that black could be cool if there was air between shirt and skin because the heat would rise up the torso and out at the neck, creating a kind of mini-breeze. Note that some Saharan-types wear black.

I wear a Caisse jersey in the summer often and feel no difference. I wear a base layer beneath (Craft) and that weave may offset the shirt color effect, if any.

Kevan
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
my Pink Floyd jersey is HOT!

and is hot in the sun.

rwsaunders
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
White is cooler.
+1...I can really tel the difference on a hot, sunny day when I wear a white jersey. I wonder if the same holds true for the color of a helmet, although a helmet isn't solid?

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
place a Black car out in the sun and a White car.

Compare the surface temperature..

Black absorbs heat (all colors). White reflects it (all colors)

Blue absorbs all other colors and reflects blue.

nobrakes
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
The newer fabrics don't seem to absorb as much heat as in the old days. I've had dark/black jerseys that I wouldn't wear in the summer because of the heat they absorbed/transfered to my body in the summer.
I now have some darkish jerseys made from modern fabrics similar to the Caise-Esparne that seem to breathe much better, and can be worn on hot, sunny days. I think those with the 'waffle' patterns in them have merit.
I bought an original IslesBalears team jersey in Majorca a few years ago, and even in February it was hot because it didn't breathe well, and it wasn't even dark. It had a short zip which also compounded the problem. I felt sorry for that team in July, as they always looked like they were cooked.
This time of year I favor my black longsleeved wool jersey for casual riding, and wear a Santini or Castelli longsleeve winter jersey in dark blue to stay warm during longer, more serious training. I tend towards darker colors in winter, and lighter in summer, though new fabrics today tend to be better in any shade of color. I like the looks of black jerseys. I guess I'm a fan of the maglia nero .

Kines
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
place a Black car out in the sun and a White car.

Compare the surface temperature..

Yes, of course, but steel has a specific heat capacity that is likely to be orders of magnitude greater than that of a synthetic fabric bike jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity

I called our jersey supplier with the question, but am still awaiting the answer. Even then, I bet that they don't truly know the answer. For our amusement, below is a link to the closest thing I've found so far to anyone actually trying to answer the question scientifically (they asked a significantly different question).

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=2&res=9C05E1D91F3DEE32A25754C1A9619C946196D6CF

I have to believe that Caisse d'epargne (or High Road, or others) would not send their riders out in jerseys that would disadvantage them, just to look good. These are people who weigh their food, for pete's sake.....

And finally, I submit that the amount of heat lost from evaporation when sweating, plus a 10-30mph breeze over the fabric, would hopefully overwhelm any difference in heat absorption with a darker jersey.

OK I'm done now. I admit it - I just want to use our black design - it is awesome. LOL

KN

Kines
01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=rwsaunders I wonder if the same holds true for the color of a helmet, although a helmet isn't solid?[/QUOTE]

I'd bet my bike that the effect of the color of a helmet is insignificant. Although you might be able to measure the surface temp diff between a black and a white plastic shell, the styrofoam between it and your head is probably way more than enough to insulate your scalp.

KN