PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey wcs hubs..

shinomaster
11-30-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm thinking of having my friend build me up a pair of custom wheelios. Record hubs are so expensive.. So I'm looking at other options. I don't need 32 spokes as I weigh 144 lbs and am a pathetic, weak pimple of a rider..Are Ritchey hubs any good. They are a cheap pro deal..

Also check out all the Campy rims at bike nashbar.. What rims should I use?? Spokes?? No open Pro's...

Chris
11-30-2004, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=shinomaster]Are Ritchey hubs any good. QUOTE]

In a word; No

shinomaster
12-02-2004, 12:12 AM
If they suck then who else make campy hubs that arn't $500.???

cs124
12-02-2004, 01:40 AM
In a word; No

...and I reckon their complete wheels are pretty poor too.

I've got a set of the WCS wheels and they are stiff vertically and sloppy laterally, with really uneven spoke tension. They are ready for a re-build after about 1500 km.

The hubs are almost as smooth as the 20,000km old Ultegras I'm running on my "training" wheels.

My advice, save up for something better.

coylifut
12-02-2004, 09:23 AM
$50 http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/campagnolo-chorus-hub.htm

I've never bought anything there, maybe someone else here has.

gdw
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I've ordered from them in the past with no problems. They are currently having a clearance sale and offering some real bargains. Hugi 240 hubsets, which some of our forum members actually think are reliable :D , are only $238.00. That's $20.00 less than the other mail order venders charge for a rear hub alone. Makes you wonder why they are so heavily discounted.

Chief
12-02-2004, 02:09 PM
The Hugi 240 hubsets on sale are the old model. The new ones are 240s.

Shino: You may want to check out Joe Young's wheels at

http://www.youngwheels.com/index.html

for a custom wheelset.

Zarathustra
12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
I am going to have to be the lone voice of decent about Ritchey hubs. I have had a few pair and they have always treated me well. Perhaps I just got lucky, but after many miles they still turn smoothly. I have also found the freewheel to be easily servicable and smooth running.

Could just be lucky... like I say.

saab2000
12-02-2004, 07:04 PM
So you're only 144 lbs. Who cares. Get good hubs (Campagnolo) and build them up to Bontrager offset rims. You'll need to get 32 spoke for the front as, unfortunately, Mr. Bontrager does not yet see that the front wheel takes about 99% less stress than a rear wheel and does not need to be as strong. Also, the offset is only for the rear wheel. ICYDNK.

I have three bikes with 28 spoke front wheels. The fronts NEVER need help, but the rears sometimes do. I am no lightweight either.

Anyway, the Bontrager offset spoke rear is pretty good. The extra cost of good hubs, whatever that may be, will not matter in 10 years when the wheels are still going strong. Just make sure that your builder lubes both the nips and the eyelets enough. Too much is just enough IMHO.