PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Rockies or Tour of Colorado?

Alan
11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I am having shoulder surgery at the end of Dec due to crash and I need some motivation for next yr. I was thinking about doing the Ride the Rockies or the Tour of Colorado. Any strong feelings about either ride? I've done some searching already but I wanted to get the group opinion before I commit.

Thanks

RABikes2
11-30-2004, 12:25 AM
A few of my Florida randonneur friends have done Ride the Rockies and say it's a fabulous ride. It's one of many on my list of "to do" rides. :)

Hope your recovery goes well with the shoulder. Enjoy which ever ride you decide to focus on! You'll do great!

RA

NicaDog
11-30-2004, 02:41 AM
I did RTR for the first time this last year. It was a wonderful experience. The organization and support was just top rate - even when they had to deal with a snow storm closing Trail Ridge Road on the second day. I really enjoyed the ride and would encourage you to put your name in for the lottery. RTR entrance is through a lottery system.

Good Luck with the shoulder.

David

Larry
11-30-2004, 03:17 AM
Whatever mountain tour you decide upon, make sure you have time to acclimate to altitude and thin air. Do not take this point lightly.
Not only does the body work harder to compensate for less oxygen, but for me, the breathing is different and you need time to adapt to this different environment. ........ unless you are already coming from a mountainous region.

There are several wonderful tours in Oregon that I want to check out.

Dave
11-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Unfortunately for riders traveling to high altitudes, the acclimation process takes more than a few days. More like 4-6 weeks. Those who suffer from minor symptoms like headache and fatigue will feel better in a few days, but improved aerobic capacity takes much longer.

I move from 800' altitude to the 6000' altitude of Highlands Ranch, CO last year and began regular rides on up to 8500'. I did some serious huffing and puffing for quite a while. I didn't feel much improvement until I was at altitude for 4 weeks. After 6 weeks, I felt even better.

This year I rode to the 14,100' top of Mount Evans twice and did other rides to 11,000' and never had a problem.

sam.g
11-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Both rides will offer fantastic scenery and challenging climbs. But, to the best of my knowledge only the Bicycle Tour of Colorado offers a motel option for those of us not disposed to camping or sleeping in a smelly gym with 1,000 of your best friends. I rode the BTC in 2003 the year the tour climbed Mt. Evans and had a great experience. Curently my group is weighing our options for a summer tour and the BTC's route for 2005 is so far coming out on top.

I initially had concerns regarding adaptation to Colorado's higher altitudes but really didn't find it to be that much of a problem and I live in Cincinnati, altitude ~600'. We flew out to Colorado Springs several days before the tour started allowing us to ride around 60 miles exploring the area. Two days riding and constantly remembering to over hydrate seemed to be all we really needed. This is not to say that the first day's climbing didn't seriously kick my a$$, but isn't that why we were there?

Good luck on the shoulder and maybe we can meet this summer.

Sam

Ray
11-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Whatever mountain tour you decide upon, make sure you have time to acclimate to altitude and thin air. Do not take this point lightly.
Not only does the body work harder to compensate for less oxygen, but for me, the breathing is different and you need time to adapt to this different environment. ........ unless you are already coming from a mountainous region.

True, but assuming you don't HAVE enough extra time to acclimate (see previous post on how long it really takes), you can still do OK. I did a dirt road tour from Telluride to Moab a few months ago. I spent all day Saturday flying from Philadelphia (sea level) to Salt Lake City and then shuttling to Moab (about 5,000 feet). The next morning, the tour group drove to Telluride (8,700 feet) and then rode up an over Last Dollar Pass (10,700 feet) that afternoon. Many of the people in the group were coming from similarly low altitude starting points and nobody had any real problems. We weren't riding hard or setting any speed records for the climbs, but everyone made it, some with a few small periods of walking. No big headaches or other altitude problems. We rode at high altitude all week and gradually got stronger. Not the mileage of RTR or BTC, but still about 40-60 per day and all on dirt, so plenty of work involved.

As long as you remember its a tour, not a race, you should be fine.

-Ray

Silverthump
11-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Alan,

I have done both multiple times and also one Triple Bypass. By the way I live in Kansas city and am a 56 year old grandpa who tends to carry and extra 20 pounds so I am an average biker but I love ridding in the mountains.

RTR
1. Great support and hoopla! (Many vendors and Serotta is a prime supporter)
2. Great experiences all 4 times.
3. Lottery so you have to be selected to get in.
4. All levels of cyclists. Everyone is very festive.

BTC
1. Good support and a great time.
2. Less hoopla ( venders, etc)
3. Pay yourway in so you are assured of getting in.
4. Tends toward the more serious cyclists who are very cordial but tend to stay to themselves more than the RTR group..

Both are great rides and highly reccomended. Great way to enjoy the mountains and the folks around you. Do go a couple days ahead of start and do some light ridding, hiking and sleep at altitude. Hydrate, hydrate, hyrate!
Most of all enjoy the training and then enjoy the ride. You won't be first and you won't be last!

Chief
11-30-2004, 10:32 AM
RTR is usually held in mid June when the weather at the upper elevations can be a bit unperdictable to say the least whereas BTC is usually in mid July where the weather is in not nearly a concern--at least the threat of snow is nearly nil. I know this would be a consideration for me. I found that if you have a good cycling base before the tour, it doesn't take long to acclimate to the higher elevation. I did the BTC in 2000 and 2003 and found it to be very well organized. There is no better way, IMHO, to see and experience that Rockies than on a bike.

Sam: I believe that I may have ridden with you in the 2003 BTC. We shared the long up-hill ride from Conifer to Evergreen, I had the room next to yours in Idaho Springs and we rode into Frisco together if I am not mistaken. I was the old dude on the Ottrott. Keep biking. :D

RichMc
11-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Providing I can make it through the lottery selection I'm planning on doing the RTR this coming June. Already working like crazy getting ready for it. Hope to see some of you fine folks there. Maybe I'll even have a CDA by then. :beer:

Rich

sam.g
11-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Chief,

Although not certain, I do believe that I remember riding up to Evergreen with a guy on a Serotta, it may have been you. As I recall, I was in a small group that missed the road signs and prescribed dirt road detour after the lunch stop, thus necessitating an unscheduled climb of at least a thousand some feet and maybe an additional 10 miles. I learned to pay more attention after that. If you were the guy on the Serotta, I don't remember you as being that old, but then again I'm 55.

At that time I had just begun my foray into serious cycling and had no clue as to what an Ottrott was. For the BTC, I rented a blue Specialized Allez with an Ultegra triple which was huge improvement over my then current ride. For 2005, I'm looking forward to climbing Independence Pass on my NOS Hors Catagorie, the descent should also be sweet. What are your plans for the BTC next year?

Sam

Black Bart
11-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I have also ridden both of these tours and I think Silverthump has provided an accurate and simple assessment. I greatly prefer the BTC - more options regarding lodging, very comparable support, and a much higher percentage of serious cyclists (as opposed to people who happen to like rolling parties). You won't be disappointed with either of them, I suspect.

Chief
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Sam,

I sure you are the one because I remember that you rented your blue bike. My son was riding with me. I did Independence Pass in 2000. Piece of advice: get an early start because of the storms. I left Buena Vista about 5:30 am or so and was at the pass at 10:30. A really great and beautiful climb. While on top the police said it was raining on the other side so I put on my foul weather gear and started the descent to Aspen in a cold driving rain. It was truly a white knuckle experience. Nevertheless, there were guys screaming down and all you could hear was, "On your left." They later closed the descent and used vans to transport an untold number of people off the pass that came up later or where stuck going up. Several people suffered from hypertherma.

In all likelihood I will not be doing it in 2005, but in any case have a good ride.

sam.g
11-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Chief,

Now that you mention your son, I do remember you, a small world indeed! Would have liked to catch up with you again at this summer's BTC, maybe in '06.

I fully agree with your comments regarding an early start to minimze chances of being caught in a rain storm or worse. This past May while on a business trip to Estes Park, I rented a bike to ride up Trail Ridge Road to just past Rainbow Curve where the road closed for the winter. Althought the day was bright and sunny on the climb up, it very suddenly clouded over with light snow flurries changing to snow changing to rain as I made a hasty white knuckle descent back to Estes Park. An early start, foul weather gear and extra layers are essential in the mountains.

Sam

Banjers51
11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I'll toss in my vote for BTC as well. I met a great group of people on the first day, and ended up riding with them the whole time, and have stayed in touch with them ever since (several years now).

I went out about ten days early to train a bit in Winter Park, and was certainly glad I did--no problems in the mountains once the ride started. Like everyone else has said, hydration is the key; for me that meant more liquid than I thought I could possibly consume and no alcohol. I also trained like crazy for several months ahead of time, albeit at sea level.

I'm sure either ride will provide you with the experience of a lifetime, however. There is no greater way to see the Rockies.

RJB

lewislw1
11-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Another option for a similar ride is Pedal the Peaks, which is usually run in late June, and rotates between Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming/Montana from year to year. PTP is a smaller ride, about 300-350 riders, with riders of all levels. They do a nice job with ride support, have a motel option, and even provide a kids camp. They provide breakfast at the campsite, lunch on the road, and dinners are on your own. PTP is run by Cycleamerica, a commercial outfit. The cost is pretty reasonable.

Len