PDA

View Full Version : This should be a very cool build

WickedWheels
01-20-2009, 08:05 AM
I just did a fit on a guy who's getting a Schwinn Paramount 70th Anniversary custom frameset (Waterford-built). This 50-year old rides a fixed-gear bike currently (and has ridden from Long Island to Albany on it). He'll continue riding this 1970 Schwinn as his main bike. The Paramount will be mostly for display.

He asked for as high-end Campy (10spd) as I can find, but it must be alloy, not carbon. So I managed to track down a complete Chorus group for him. He'll be getting Record hubs built up. Brooks Pro saddle. I just have to find him a silver bar/stem/seatpost combo.

I can't wait to see it all complete.

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/paramount/

mandasol
01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice, it'll be great if you can put together an all 'real' silver combo bar/stem/post. I settled for the dark metal polish Deda stem and bar, and while it looks good, doesn't really match my Thomson silver post and silver campy stuff. Please post what you're able to come up with, cause I may still change out my deda.

Liberace
01-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Check Velo Orange for seatposts. They have a couple Nitto ones on sale.

cw05
01-20-2009, 08:42 AM
That looks pretty cool. Just out of curiousity, any idea how much Schwinn is charging for the framesets?

Dave Wages
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I heard it's in the neighborhood of $7000.

sg8357
01-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I heard it's in the neighborhood of $7000.

That is a lot of money for a Waterford, wouldn't be better just to deal
with Waterford directly ? Then you could get a steel fork too.

mschol17
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
That is a lot of money for a Waterford, wouldn't be better just to deal
with Waterford directly ? Then you could get a steel fork too.

I'd deal with the guy who did most of Waterford's stainless instead... Dave Wages and Ellis Cycles

Lifelover
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
If you can please post pics after it's done.

I don't think there is really anything that could truly qualify as a "collectors item" amongst modern bike frames, but this maybe as close as it gets.

WickedWheels
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll definitely post pics once it's done.

This frameset is so much money ($7k) partly because the tubing is 953 and partly because the lugs are cut from scratch.

This guy wants a level top tube, a steel threaded fork with red blades and a polished crown. It's going to be sweet.

rphetteplace
01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
No offense intended but I second the notion that if I was going to pay anyone anywhere close to $7K it'd be Dave Wages.

WickedWheels
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
There's a lot to be said for dealing with Richard Schwinn when getting a collector's Schwinn. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of time we've spent going back and forth over the frame design (for a difficult fit).

How many collectors get to say that their bike was custom designed for them by a Schwinn.

johnnymossville
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd love to own one. The build you have in mind sounds perfect to me. Can't wait to see the pics.

dekindy
01-21-2009, 07:29 AM
I am still waiting anxiously for Bicycling to notify me that I won their sweepstakes and that I should make an appointment to be fitted for a 70th anniversary Schwinn Paramount.

The downside is that they will send me a 1099 for $7,000. State and federal income tax will be $2,000+. I think if they are going to give you something it should be free. So if it is taxable they should pay the taxes. Oh well, I guess I have to win it first.

May be I can get fitted right away they will display it at the NAHBS. Well, a guy can dream can't he!

WickedWheels
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I am still waiting anxiously for Bicycling to notify me that I won their sweepstakes and that I should make an appointment to be fitted for a 70th anniversary Schwinn Paramount.

The downside is that they will send me a 1099 for $7,000. State and federal income tax will be $2,000+. I think if they are going to give you something it should be free. So if it is taxable they should pay the taxes. Oh well, I guess I have to win it first.

May be I can get fitted right away they will display it at the NAHBS. Well, a guy can dream can't he!

If you pay for it, you avoid all taxes except the sales tax. Come see me and I'll sell you one!
:D

Dave Wages
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
:D There's a lot to be said for dealing with Richard Schwinn when getting a collector's Schwinn. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of time we've spent going back and forth over the frame design (for a difficult fit).

How many collectors get to say that their bike was custom designed for them by a Schwinn.

I'm a little hesitant to dis' the Paramount since it may end up sounding like sour grapes, but here's my two cents.

The reason it's pricey is partly due to the 953 and the lugs, but also due to the fact that you buy it from your LBS, they get a cut. They buy it from Schwinn, another cut, and finally back to Waterford. Oh yeah, they get a cut too.

It seems to me from my prespective that you could get a helluva frame from a custom builder for less than that $7000. I know, the Paramount collector will be intriged by this frame, but if you really want a bike to ride, try an Ellis or one of the dozens of other qualified custom builders.

My two bits, now I'll duck to avoid all the rotten fruit being hurled my way!

WickedWheels
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Duh!

mikki
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
There's a lot to be said for dealing with Richard Schwinn when getting a collector's Schwinn. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of time we've spent going back and forth over the frame design (for a difficult fit).

Yeah baby!! If I had tons of money, it would be cool to have a tricked out Schwinn like this. If I didn't lust after the Schwinn name on it, then I too would purchase directly from Waterford. Gorgeous bike IMO.

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
No offense intended but I second the notion that if I was going to pay anyone anywhere close to $7K it'd be Dave Wages.

Make that a triple notion ...

and did not Dave do an over the top just like that in red ?

Not SS, but for 7K I am sure Mr. Ellis could ...

fiamme red
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2009/reviews/schwinn_paramount09

johnnymossville
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
:D

My two bits, now I'll duck to avoid all the rotten fruit being hurled my way!

I don't think it's sour grapes on your part at all. I agree with everything you said. I think this is a very special frame for a few very special people who want to buy one. I think it's really cool they did this. The options you suggest are for equally special people with a slightly different focus. Nothing wrong with that either.

RudAwkning
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I saw one of these in person. The downtube decal is way to low. Once you get your driveside crank mounted, the chainring covers up part of the logo. You now have an "HWINN PARAMOUNT".

That's my beef with this bike.

I don't fault Waterford for taking on the job. They outsource to all sorts of people. And when someone contracts you to potentially build 70 custom high end frames, you say "Yes sir". And since it's through Schwinn, it'll be sold through retail outlets. Can't fault the bike shops for being a Schwinn dealer.

I just think it's funny that the owners of the name Schwinn Inc., who wanted to bury the Paramount brand, now want to cash in on its fame during this renaissance. 70th Anniversary? Shouldn't it be 75th?

And of course, i agree wholeheartedly about $7000 being way too much money. When you get to numbers as high as 70 frames, those fancy custom cut lugs are no longer custom. They're stock "for a limited time only". For that kind of dosh, I want to be rolling around on something NOBODY else has.

And you don't even get a custom steel fork to match. Booooo!

And this is coming from a guy with 4 Waterfords and a Gunnar.

johnnymossville
03-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I saw one of these in person. The downtube decal is way to low....

yeah, I don't like that either. I wonder if they'll allow a change in that from the customer? It's sloppy design.

RudAwkning
03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
yeah, I don't like that either. I wonder if they'll allow a change in that from the customer? It's sloppy design.

I bet the decals were cut before they decided to go with the downtube braze-ons. The solution? Move the decal lower :P

palincss
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice, it'll be great if you can put together an all 'real' silver combo bar/stem/post. I settled for the dark metal polish Deda stem and bar, and while it looks good, doesn't really match my Thomson silver post and silver campy stuff. Please post what you're able to come up with, cause I may still change out my deda.

Nitto makes some lovely silver handlebars and stems. Since this bike is intended to be primarily a display piece, the usual concerns about ease of removing handlebars for travel via a removable faceplate ought not apply, so you could use something like the beautiful Nitto CT-80

http://www.thebikebiz.com/v/vspfiles/photos/TRK-STEM-NITTO04-2.jpg

http://www.thebikebiz.com/product_p/trk-stem-nitto04.htm

palincss
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't think there is really anything that could truly qualify as a "collectors item" amongst modern bike frames, but this maybe as close as it gets.

I don't know - there are a couple of forumites (maybe one ex forumite?) from Connecticut who are currently making frames that not only are collectibles, but also will easily put this Paramount to shame. In fact, from what I've seen of the pix taken at the NAHBS, there are plenty of makers who can do that trick as well.

RudAwkning
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Actually, I feel sorry for ****ting in your cereal man. You posted with good intentions and you're excited for the build. For the guy who may have once owned a Paramount and wants to relive that passion he had in his youth but perhaps with modern materials, etc. this frame serves a purpose. Just as the 50th anniversary frameset had place, so does this one.

See if you can track down a silver Centaur seatpost for the build. Silver bar, go for the Nitto 176 Dream Bar. Classic drop, sleeved, no grooves, no nonsense. For a stem, try and match the top tube slope for a nice aesthetic. With a quill stem, it shouldn't be hard to find something in the 17ish degree range. Again, Nitto. Especially if he needs the bars up. A nice Cinelli1A would also look apropos on this bike.

Will you be using headtube reducers for the 1" threaded fork? I'm using these on one frame without issue. Is the customer going to get the fork crown custom cut to match the lugwork on the frame?

Should be a fun build.

Elefantino
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
The Paramount will be mostly for display.
I hope it's a bike shop owner.

If it's not, it's a lot to pay for a wall sculpture.

PS: Love the bike, hate the decals. Looks like they were designed by a military contractor.

PPS: I apologize to any military contractors I may have offended.