PDA

View Full Version : I ordered some new hoops

dirtdigger88
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I broke down and did it. I have been going back and forth on a new wheel set. Instead of going completly new, I am having DT RR 1.1 rims mounted to my Chris King hubs. I found a couple of hair line cracks in my Open Pros (they have a ton of miles on them). I am going with DT Competition spoke and brass nipples. After much debat the boys of Big Shark talked sence into me once again. It is kinda like a 2x4 to the head- Why am I so worried about saving a few grams on wheel weight- I weigh 200lbs- I like to ride fast and corner hard. I keep telling people I want a wheelset that favors ride quality and duribility but I then ask how many grams will I save. :crap: I will post a ride report when the new toys arrive.

Jason :)

saab2000
11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I recently re-built a wheel using something I have never used: 14 guage spokes. I have a Bontrager offset rear rim on one of my bikes and it was initially poorly built. I have rebuilt it with the same mentality you have - heavy spokes with brass nips. The wheel built up great and so far is holding up well.

I am also thinking of some DT rims. Keep us informed.

I cannot justify the cost of a set of Neutrons and I desire nothing else. My Record hubs are still great, but the wheels built up with Open Pros have thusfar been only so-so in terms of staying in true. So far the Bontrager offset has been pretty good.

jeffg
11-29-2004, 04:31 PM
CK hubs might not be the best choice due to poor flange spacing. For the big bucks, I would rather have White Industries or Phil Wood (if you really want bombproof).

Saab:

Forget Neutrons! I want DT RR 1.1, Hugis (or WI) and Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolites.

If you really want Neutrons, how about some for about $600 new? I think I could get some in Europe for about that ...

dirtdigger88
11-29-2004, 04:50 PM
CK hubs might not be the best choice due to poor flange spacing. For the big bucks, I would rather have White Industries or Phil Wood (if you really want bombproof).

Saab:

Forget Neutrons! I want DT RR 1.1, Hugis (or WI) and Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolites.

If you really want Neutrons, how about some for about $600 new? I think I could get some in Europe for about that ...

Maybe, but I have had these hubs laced to Open Pros for over 12,000 miles and have had no problems. I already own the hubs- no the Kings would not be my first choise- but since I already own them it makes more since to use them than let them sit on a shelf and buy some Whites. Besides- Whites or Phil Woods have never really done it for me- not that there is anything wrong with them- just not what I want.

Jason

Blastinbob
11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
I am having DT RR 1.1 rims mounted to my Chris King hubs. . Why am I so worried about saving a few grams on wheel weight- I weigh 200lbs- I like to ride fast and corner hard.
Jason :)

Dirtdigger, in a conversation with Joe Young he advised against me going with DT RR 1.1 rims, saying I would be replacing them after about 4 to 5k miles do to my weight and riding style. @190 Lbs. I'm a little lighter than you. So I'm trusting his experience and going with mavic cpx 33 rims 2x fr. 3x rear laced onto hugi hubs w/ triple butted spokes. I'm a little overweight so what's the difference if my wheels are too. :p

Keith A
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
So I'm trusting his experience and going with mavic cpx 33 rims 2x fr. 3x rear laced onto hugi hubs w/ triple butted spokes.

Triple butted spokes -- never heard of these creatures before. What's the scoop?

saab2000
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I wish that there were more makers of offset rear rims. The only ones I know are the Bontrager and the Velocity. My initial impression of the Bontrager was not positive, but that was probably because the initial builder had done a bad job.

Now that a real pro (myself..... :rolleyes: ) has rebuilt it with heavy spokes and brass nips it seems to be alright. I do not have many miles on it yet, but it seems very solid.

I am a believer in the offset drilling and I think that these rims might be good. But I wish that there were some more makers of this type.

Also, I wish that someone made a tubular rim with this offset.

I have older wheels with freewheels and 8-speed cassettes which have been bombproof for years, but as soon as I went to 10-speed (and the greater dish) my wheels have not been as durable.

Other than cost, why should I forget Neutrons? They show up often on E-bay for half their new cost and have a very good reputation.

dirtdigger88
11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Bob,

Maybe so, I don't know. I have never like the cpx rims either. I know I am a pickey bastard. I am willing to give them a try. . .if in 5k they are toast- ok. If I never try them I will never know. Besides, at 5k life span- that is less than 3 tenths of a cent per mile

Jason

Keith A
11-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey Saab -- I couldn't agree with you more about the offset rim availablility. It seems like a great idea and the choices are between Ritchey, Velocity and Bontrager. I'm surprised that Mavic (or even DT) haven't jumped in as well. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a Campy user), but hasn't Campy also been producing a wheelset with the offset rim for a while?

Blastinbob
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Triple butted spokes -- never heard of these creatures before. What's the scoop?
Me either, and his email is no longer in my system, but here is a link to some. I don't know if they are the same that he's using on my wheels.Triple butted spokes (http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1030&Catalog=39&sort=Price) :butt: :butt: :butt:

saab2000
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Keith,

Indeed, the Neutron/Nucleon wheels (as well as the Protons I think) have offset rear rims.

I would love to get a set of Neutrons, but I really cannot justify the cost.

The rims of the Neutrons are made, if I am not mistaken, just for the special spokes and spoke quantity of the Neutron wheelset. So it would not work to use them with a normal hub. Indeed, I think the rims are sold separetely, but just for rebuilding damaged Neutrons and a very expensive.

I would not be surprised to see more of the offset rims become available in the future. But the fact is that the wheel companies do not want to market something which will possible take away from the sales of their highly profitable pre-built wheels.

Anyway, the Open Pro is a number of years old and is due for an update. An appropriate update would be to make it out of a harder/stronger alloy and to produce an offset rear rim.

Chief
11-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Keith,

Check out

www.dtswiss.ch/index.asp?fuseaction=spokes.bikedetail&id=5 (http://www.dtswiss.ch/index.asp?fuseaction=spokes.bikedetail&id=5)

for DT Super Competition triple butted spokes; 2.0mm at hub, 1.7 mm in mid section and 1.8 mm at rim.

jeffg
11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Other than cost, why should I forget Neutrons? They show up often on E-bay for half their new cost and have a very good reputation.

Saab:

I didn't mean "forget" in that Neutrons are no good. They are fine wheels and I really enjoy my Eurus hoops. I was just stating what I currently lust after.

Keith A
11-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info on the triple butted spokes -- I never knew there was such an animal.

quattro
11-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I had Joe Young build me a set of DT RR 1.1, Hugi 240s hubs and DT super comp spokes. I have been riding them for about four months now and they are wonderful. They weigh in at just over 1500g, they are very comfortable without being to foregiving. Joe builds a wonderful wheelset and I highly recommend him and this particular build.

Elefantino
11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
w/offset rims. They were Ok. But CXP30s with Record hubs are great, as are my Chorus/Open Pros. I don't notice that much of a difference, other than I've never, ever had to true the CXP30s, and they get most of my miles. Protons, particularly the front, required truing. Perhaps an anomaly, because I've not heard of truing problems with those wheels. Just lucky.

csb
11-29-2004, 09:18 PM
200 lbs ?

dirtdigger88
11-29-2004, 09:28 PM
200 lbs ?

I may not look it- but yes I bounce between 195 and 200. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Jason

csb
11-29-2004, 09:39 PM
well it certainly didnt seem to be a problem out at the finger lakes.

vaxn8r
11-30-2004, 01:12 AM
For the life of me I don't get why somebody would spend an extra $300 for a Neutron over a Proton. They share the same spokes and offset rims. The only difference is in the marginally lighter Neutron hub/QR

Other than tire mounting (which is really hard on my Protons) I have never once trued them in about 10K miles. They are comfortable and corner very well. A much more solid feeling wheel than my 32 spoke Record/OP's...and slightly lighter too.

I don't know if they are all hard to mount tires on but aside from that Protons are a ton of wheel for the money.

dirtdigger88
11-30-2004, 09:02 AM
this morning after S.S.S.

and no I was not holding my bike

Jason

Ozz
11-30-2004, 02:59 PM
I had Joe Young build me a set of DT RR 1.1, Hugi 240s hubs and DT super comp spokes. I have been riding them for about four months now and they are wonderful. They weigh in at just over 1500g, they are very comfortable without being to foregiving. Joe builds a wonderful wheelset and I highly recommend him and this particular build.

Are you lighter than dirtdigger??

My shop told me that they built up some DT RR 1.1 for a customer who runs about 225 lbs and they were bullet-proof! They were also 36 spoke...

flydhest
11-30-2004, 03:16 PM
this morning after S.S.S.

and no I was not holding my bike

Jason

sutract off the weight of the camera . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

csb, that's the second guy who's weight you've been surprised at. I was the first. Now, I'm getting jealous.

Chief
11-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Quattro,

I got the exact same wheelset from Joe Young about a month ago and so far I really like them. They are the smoothest wheels that I have ever ridden and really look forward to riding them at every opportunity. They are 32 hole wheels laced with 2X in the front and 3X in the rear. I actually picked up my wheels from Joe as I previously reported in a different thread. He is really a neat guy. BTW, I tip the scales at about 162 lbs, but will not be posting any pictures.

Chief

csb
11-30-2004, 03:38 PM
measuring the shadow is easier than measuring the tree

huh?

dirtdigger88
11-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Measuring the tree by the shawdow.

Measure a know height and the shadow it creates.

Then measure the shadow of the tree

Now it is a simple ratio. What percent larger is the trees shadow over the know shadow. Multipy that percentage by the known height.

Dirtdiggers aren't as dumb as you think :p

Jason

flydhest
11-30-2004, 04:32 PM
i guess that means digger is the tree . . .

what would you call me if i worked for the c.i.a. instead?