PDA

View Full Version : Pedals ? Crank Bros. ??

TMB
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I asked a somewhat similar question on anaother forum so those of you who have seen that question, sorry. But this is a (largely) different audience.

I have a bike which was built as an "all round" bike, or dirt road bike and up to now I have been using Look pedals on that bike, which means road shoes. When I have gone out intending to go off road, or searching for gravel, I have been switching the pedals out and putting Shimano SPD pedals on.

That works OK, but it is a nuisance, and I am not really that big a fan of Shimano SPD pedals.

SO,

I am thinking maybe I should switch the pedals to Crank Bros. Thinking the Quattros as they have the largest platform, coming from Looks I think I would notice a smaller one.

At least this way I could use the same pedals and then just pick the road shoes or MTB shoes depending.

Anyone have ny thoughts on Crank Bros.?

Quattros?

Candys?

Hot Spots? given the platforms are smaller, is this an issue?

CNY rider
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I've been in the same situation.
I have old Looks on my road bikes.
Walking=impossible.
I put Candies on my commuter and cross bike. Got a decent pair of Shimano MTB shoes and mounted the Crank Bro cleats on there.
I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the Candies/ Shimano shoe combo. Very easy to clip in/out and the little platform really helps when you don't have time to click in but just need to stomp.
I've also since put the Candies on my Mariposa and done rides up to 60 miles, with no foot problems.
I was also worried about the smaller platform but it just has not been an issue.

TMB
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I've been in the same situation.
I have old Looks on my road bikes.
Walking=impossible.
I put Candies on my commuter and cross bike. Got a decent pair of Shimano MTB shoes and mounted the Crank Bro cleats on there.
I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the Candies/ Shimano shoe combo. Very easy to clip in/out and the little platform really helps when you don't have time to click in but just need to stomp.
I've also since put the Candies on my Mariposa and done rides up to 60 miles, with no foot problems.
I was also worried about the smaller platform but it just has not been an issue.

Thank you,

I was thinking of getting the Quattro for the larger platform, but have heard that the Quattro is harder to use with MTB shoes.

So maybe I'll try the Candy's, pickup a set of 3 hole cleats as well, and try that - If I decide to try the Quattro's later then I can do that.

I guess with the Carbon soles on the Sidi's the platform size is less of an issue given how stiff the sole of the shoe is.

rcnute
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
MKS Touring. Come to the flat pedal dark side.

paczki
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I have all three, and like them all -- despite this mishap:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53957

I particularly like the Eggbeaters and I've begun to wonder whether the platform actually does anything useful at all -- especially if your road shoe has a stiff sole.

Ken Robb
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I use Eggbeaters with Shimano M020 mtn. bike shoes. These are past generation lace-ups with the least-stiff sole they make and even so I don't have any hot spot problem. The biggest drawback to them for me is they really are awful if you want to ride the bike without clipping in. This can be because you don't want to put on bike shoes for a quick errand or because you stopped on a steep hill and are trying get started climbing again. Most SPD Mtn. pedals are better that way. I also ride SPDs with a second pair of the same shoe and I like MKS Touring flat pedals. If you try flats with a not-too-heavily -cleated rubber soled shoe you may be surprised how well they work.

lavi
01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
My bro in law, who's a VERY strong rider, only uses eggbeaters mainly because he commutes to work and needs to walk around. He swears by the eggbeaters.

No offense to Shimano (I own xtr spds and have never used anything else), but I'll be converting all my mountain/cross stuff to eggbeaters this next year. Compared to the Eggbeaters, the spds just aren't as good as clearing mud (especially for cross). I don't want to have bikes with shimano and crank bros. I want everything the same so I can use the same pair of shoes.

Go with the eggbeaters. I've heard from many places that the platform really donesn't add that much unless you specific shoe contacts the platform when clicked in. Otherwise, you won't be touching it anyhow.

joelh
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I started with candy's on my first road bike and then put Quattro's on my serotta, so that one pair of shoes would do it all. I like both pedals a lot. I find the candys a bit easier to engages, but not by much. I have never had hotspots with either pedal. I am using shimano mountain shoes.

paczki
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I have all three, and like them all -- despite this mishap:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53957

I particularly like the Eggbeaters and I've begun to wonder whether the platform actually does anything useful at all -- especially if your road shoe has a stiff sole.

I think my mishap would be less likely with the Eggbeaters because there's no plastic on them.

TMB
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
So, I stopped at the LBS to talk abuout Crank Bros pedals and they said that the problem is that when the cleat starts to wear, the float gets "sloppy"

True?

lavi
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Probably no more than the amount of wear that occurs with other cleats. It would be different depening on the use. If you beat them up in the rocks, they will wear quicker. If you walk around on pavement with them, they'll last like any other cleat.

paczki
01-19-2009, 03:34 PM
More than some, because they are metal.

William
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Another Eggbeater advocate here. Love them.

William

ace2937
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I would go with the candy's. If you want even more platform, get the crank brothers enduro pedal. In the end the four way entry,and built in tension makes getting in and out great. I use the enduro's on my mountain bike, but know plenty of guys using the candy's and they are very happy with them. I will be putting on a pair of candy's on my racing cyclocross bike. As far as the wear is concerned, the float is no more or less than other metal cleats. Also Crank Brothers customer service is top notch!!! That also comes into play. As much as I do like some of the Shimano products, their customer service does not impress. Hope all of this helps.

MerckxMad
01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey 2many!

I just built up a CX'er and a commuter. After some trial and error, I went with Crank Bros. Smarties. They have good size platform, not too big or small, and best of all, they're cheap. They are not rebuildable, but at $29 a set, you can buy a few pairs and beat 'em pretty good. I use MTB shoes and sport/touring shoes. The recesses protect the cleats which wear tough. My second choice were Candies, but they were pricier.

MM

jmeloy
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I asked a somewhat similar question on anaother forum so those of you who have seen that question, sorry. But this is a (largely) different audience.

I have a bike which was built as an "all round" bike, or dirt road bike and up to now I have been using Look pedals on that bike, which means road shoes. When I have gone out intending to go off road, or searching for gravel, I have been switching the pedals out and putting Shimano SPD pedals on.

That works OK, but it is a nuisance, and I am not really that big a fan of Shimano SPD pedals.

SO,

I am thinking maybe I should switch the pedals to Crank Bros. Thinking the Quattros as they have the largest platform, coming from Looks I think I would notice a smaller one.

At least this way I could use the same pedals and then just pick the road shoes or MTB shoes depending.

Anyone have ny thoughts on Crank Bros.?

Quattros?

Candys?

Hot Spots? given the platforms are smaller, is this an issue?
TMB,
have CB Quattro's on all three bikes and MTB, they work great and no hot spots for me ever.

Ken Robb
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
More than some, because they are metal.

my eggbeater cleats are protected from pavement by the rubber nubs on my shoe soles. The cleats are brass instead of steel and Crank Bros. says that's so they wear and the pedals don't. Makes sense to me.

maximus
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I was cosidering a pair of candies but my LBS told me you don't feel the "click" you feel with SPDs. This turned me off to the idea - is it true?

paczki
01-19-2009, 09:28 PM
You don't hear or feel a loud click, but it has never bothered me.

bnewt07
01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Another Eggbeater fan. They have been my only MTB pedal for years, and I use them in winter on my all-weather road bike so I can wear my nice warm MTB shoes.

Some things to consider.

I have found that you do not miss the platform at all with a good stiff shoe. If you want the bit of extra platform you may need to trim away some of the sole lugs to accomodate an MTB shoe. I've actually had to do this even with an eggbeater cleat. It is also worth fitting the metal plate underneath the cleat that I believe is now supplied (you used to be able to buy them off ebay from some clever entrepreneur). This prevents the bar of the pedal wearing a groove in your shoe.

The cleats do wear, but that is deliberate. The metal of the pedal 'bar' is harder, so the cleat wears but the pedal does not. The pedals last for ages. They spindles do wear a bit and they benefit from an occasional service. This is a 5 minute job and the rebuild kit is cheap. I have found that when SPD's wear the pedal is usually knackered and you end up chucking the lot.

I love 'em!

William
01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
The Eggbeaters have a dull click when you snap in. Plus the rebuild is simple and quick. The cleats are protected by the Vibram lugs on my MTB shoe. +'s all around. I did have to do a little shaving around the cleat for easier engagement to the pedal, but that has more to do with the shoe than the pedal system.

William

Birddog
01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
I have Candies and regular Beaters,and use them on my all around, crosser, fire road bike. I like them a lot. If I were just starting out in cycling, I would buy Beaters and Mtn Bike shoes for starters. having two sets of shoes and pedals is a PITA.

Birddog

michael white
01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I've had a number of spd variants over the years, but am moving toward flat pedals. I have the MKS touring pedals; the only problem is they are so darn wide I get a lot of pedal strike. I find the GR9 or some of the Taiwanese pedals slightly more functional.

In general I would just as soon ride a flat pedal all the time unless I'm in lycra and riding the drops. My personal favorite shoe in this mode, which does include some fairly good workouts, is a Birkenstock Milano. Toes in the breeze on a hot summer day! :hello: