PDA

View Full Version : *****

14max
01-19-2009, 10:12 AM

mandasol
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
The Fizik Aliante has a nice semi-traditional look, and a lot of people find it very comfortable as well.

Johnny P
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
You might want to try the saddle demo program Competitive Cyclist has. I did and found a more comfortable saddle. :)

dekindy
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I have been lucky with saddles. None that I have actually purchased have caused me problems. The Schwinn Paramount saddle that came with my bike was okay. When I got back into cycling in 2006 I purchased a Serfas Terrazzo Select based upon the cutout and some good reviews. It worked okay also.

When I purchased my new Serotta Fierte it came with a Fizik Aliante Sport. I decided to try it and once dialed in it was great. A demo of a Arione gave me saddle sores the likes that I have never experienced so the Aliante is for me.

If I knew what I know now and could go back to 2006, I would probably take advantage of the Selle Italia demo program available at a LBS or try the Selle Anatomica or Selle SMP cutout saddles. The Selle Anatonica comes standard on the Cannondale Touring 1 bike that my LBS received recently. The service manager tried it and liked it so well he ordered one. I test rode my Fierte frame that he purchased from me and had built up with the Selle Anatomica. Just riding it around the parking lot I was very impressed with the comfort. Of course we know a 50 to 100 ride might reveal problems not initially apparent. But my first encounter was favorable.
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-8TR1.html

The Competitive Cyclist demo program would give you access to the traditional Selle San Marco Regal and Rolls and several Selle Italia models. The Fizik Alliante used to be part of their offering but the Arione is the only one listed now.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/demo-saddle

There are more places to demo saddles at little to no risk so I would definitely be taking advantage of those. Now that I have the Aliante and it's wonderful comfort I know that although purchasing the Serfas Terrazzo without a demo was not a disaster, it was a mistake.

Remember, a tiny adjustment can mean the difference between Nirvana and Axx-Hatchet Hexx.

Walter
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
"When I purchased my new Serotta Fierte it came with a Fizik Aliante Sport. I decided to try it and once dialed in it was great. A demo of a Arione gave me saddle sores the likes that I have never experienced so the Aliante is for me."

+1 for this...my experience was the same on the Fiziks.

You just need to try as many different saddles as you can. Saddle comfort (and looks) are very user specific. What is great for one fanny (or eye) may be bad for another.

Crazy Chris
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I use the Brooks B-17 on my road bikes and find that regardless of the distance I feel relatively comfortable. Indoors my Lemond Revmaster has a saddle that becomes hellish to sit on, even with a pad, during my training of approximately 2 hours. Not a good thing. Trying out a saddle for 30 miles is insufficient if you do higher mileage.

SoCalSteve
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Brooks now makes a cut-out version of their B-17 (Imperial). You'll get the cut-out your looking for, a traditional look and a very comfortable saddle.

Good luck!

Steve

14max
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM

regularguy412
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
You can use a lycra saddle cover on any cutout saddle. It helps give the 'traditional' look, as well as protecting the actual saddle from salt/sweat/rub issues.

The last covers I purchased came from bikeman dot com. They were about $10 plus shipping. They fit most road saddles. Just found the same cover here:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_product.php?pid=5383&ref=GPS&utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleProductSearch

..for slightly more.

Mike in AR:beer:

dekindy
01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Since my OEM only Aliante Sport was so comfortable I considered upgrading. Most riders indicate the only difference between it and the more expensive models is weight so there is no need for me to spend the extra dollars.

The Sport model can be found on E-bay and possibly as a trade-in at your LBS. It is an inexpensive to test the Aliante and may be the cheapest saddle you ever own.

14max
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM

D_L_Huns
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I've been in Saddle Hell this year. Have tried a bunch, and the only modern/plastic model that was remotely useful to me was the Aliante. I am holding onto one yet, but currently I've moved to Brooks and am most happy on a Team Pro and a new 17 Imperial.

I have not been able to ride the Imperial outside in the "real world" yet, so I'm reserving judgment, but inside it's been great. I'll start a movie and start pedaling and next thing I know, I'm an hour in...and not noticing any numbness, etc, which has been an issue here for a long time! I am looking forward to Spring and a real trial outside. Good luck, Don

Ray
01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Its all about personal anatomy and how you sit on the saddle, but I've spent a lot of time on both the Regal and Rolls and then spent several years on the Aliante. I REALLY like the width and feel of it and the side to side profile in the back. But, front to back, it has a big dip and if you level the saddle, the rear portion is tilted forward quite a bit. I like the back level because that's where my sit bones live, so I was tipping the nose pretty far up to level out the rear. Last year I started riding the Specialized Phenom which is similar width, a little flatter side to side, and a LOT flatter front to back. Its the same basic profile as the Specialized Toupe, but its the mtb version so it has a bit more padding. It also has the cutout that all Specialized have, if that matters to you.

-Ray

Pete Serotta
01-19-2009, 03:10 PM
The Fizik Aliante has a nice semi-traditional look, and a lot of people find it very comfortable as well.

Few guys around here have tried and discarded many, The Allanti and the SPECIALIZE seems to work best for them.. I have used them and also a REGAL at times with no problems.

14max
01-19-2009, 04:05 PM

palincss
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I've been in Saddle Hell this year. Have tried a bunch, and the only modern/plastic model that was remotely useful to me was the Aliante. I am holding onto one yet, but currently I've moved to Brooks and am most happy on a Team Pro and a new 17 Imperial.

One of the best things about finding a Brooks that works for you is never having to go to Saddle Hell again. Unlike just about all the other saddle manufacturers, Brooks doesn't always discontinue the model you like, or keep the name the same but change everything about it that made it work for you. The B.17 in the 1908 catalog is essentially the same saddle as in the 2008 catalog.

D_L_Huns
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
One of the best things about finding a Brooks that works for you is never having to go to Saddle Hell again. Unlike just about all the other saddle manufacturers, Brooks doesn't always discontinue the model you like, or keep the name the same but change everything about it that made it work for you. The B.17 in the 1908 catalog is essentially the same saddle as in the 2008 catalog.
I agree. I really hope I have found one (two?) that fit well. I fought with an Idéale in the 80's. It was a "numbing" experience, and was why I stayed away from Brooks for so long. Pretty happy SO FAR with these 2 and hope that this will last. Would like to concentrate on just cranking miles this year instead of messing with saddle issues...
Don