PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding Campy 11 speed stuff yet?

scottsmith12
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Anyone out there riding Campagnolo 11 speed stuff yet? If so what are your impressions?

I'm a compact 34X50 13X26 rider and I like the idea of one more gear and 12X27 for climbing and descending. I'm just not sure it's worth the $500+ difference on the groupset from Centaur.

blschaefer1
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm running Super Record on one bike. Moved from 34/50 compact to standard 53/39 due to the existence of the 12/27 cassette.

In my opinion, the 11 speed is better in every way. Hood and levers more comfortable, shifting smoother and more positive, and the drivetrain quieter. As is typical for Campy, it took about 300 miles or so to break in. A solid upgrade.

Dave
01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
You can get into 11 speed Chorus relatively cheap. A full groupo can be had for as little as $1000 and an upgrade group only requires shifters, RD, chain and cassette. Most 10 speed cranks will work just fine. Some report reasonable results with a 10 speed RD, but it does not travel as far as it needs to. I'm going to try a minor modification to correct that. European sources typically charge no more for Chorus or Record 11 speed parts, than last year's 10 speed parts. The SR does carry a price premium.

I only got a few hundred miles on my 11 speed bike before I got hit by a car on 11-26. Then the weather turned to real winter, so I'm riding the 10 speed winter/trainer bike now. I do like the 11 speed shifters better than the new Centaur with light right finger lever clicks, but I can live with either one.

You do need the new chain tool that will set you back $130-150, unless you want to risk joining the chain with a 5.9mm connector link.

vjp
01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
an upgrade group only requires shifters, RD, chain and cassette.

Hi Dave,

I was in my LBS this morning who do a very large trade in Campagnolo and I asked them about exactly this scenario. They said it would work well except for a couple of issues.

You need the 11 Speed FD as the new levers have a different amount of cable pull than the old ones, and he showed me a paper from Campagnolo directed to this.

The 11 tooth cog will not work on the older 10 speed hubs.

I am interested in doing a budget 11 speed on a new build so I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Victor

tuscanyswe
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
You can get into 11 speed Chorus relatively cheap. A full groupo can be had for as little as $1000 .

Where would u get a chorus group for a 1000? Sounds like a good deal.

jbay
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm running Super Record on one bike. Moved from 34/50 compact to standard 53/39 due to the existence of the 27/27 cassette.So you have eleven 27T sprockets? Cool!

-- John

palincss
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
The ultimate corncob cluster, in fact.

blschaefer1
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Ooops. Typo has been corrected. I'm a dumbass !

Dave
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi Dave,

I was in my LBS this morning who do a very large trade in Campagnolo and I asked them about exactly this scenario. They said it would work well except for a couple of issues.

You need the 11 Speed FD as the new levers have a different amount of cable pull than the old ones, and he showed me a paper from Campagnolo directed to this.

The 11 tooth cog will not work on the older 10 speed hubs.

I am interested in doing a budget 11 speed on a new build so I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Victor

A 2008 QS FD will work fine with the new shift levers as long as the cable is properly routed right next to the cable clamp bolt and not over the back of the metal tab on the lever arm. The 2009 FD is just the opposite, with a shorter lever arm, the cable routes over the back of the tab, then next to the clamp bolt.

I've got no older FDs to try, but I did read a post where someone tried using an older FD and claimed that it would not shift from the little ring to the big ring without the right side of the cage hitting the crank arm. In that case I would try squeezing the side of the cage together a little. I had to do that to get a triple FD to get it to work with the 5.9mm chain when it first came out. The new chain is at most .6mm narrower than the chain width that was in use when the older FDs were made. .6mm isn't much.

I'm not sure what hubs might not work with 11 speed. All I own are relatively new. As long as the hub has a full 36mm of spline length, I can't see a problem. The new cassettes come with a new aluminum lockring and the thread diameter would be too large for '98 and older hubs with the 10mm steel axle instead of the new oversize aluminum axle. The older thread is 26mm in diameter and the latest model is 27mm. I measured an old 11T lockring and it's only .010 inch larger in diameter than the 2009 model.

Dave
01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Where would u get a chorus group for a 1000? Sounds like a good deal.

There are a number or reputable dealers in the UK. Shiny Bikes often has the lowest group prices, but I've got some of the lowest individual component prices from Ribble, when they have a 15% off sale. Total Cycling and Pro Bike Kit also have decent prices.

I'd avoid comobike.com because they use UPS shipping that is prone to getting charged unwarranted tariffs and UPS also adds brockerage fees to the shipping. Also avoid bike24.com. Poor communication and slow shipping.

tuscanyswe
01-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for directions!

vjp
01-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks Dave!

vjp

Velosmith
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
How about the chain? Do you have to purchase the special 11 speed chain tool?

R2D2
01-22-2009, 09:01 AM

Yes and pricey...........

Dave
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Yes you need the new tool to flare the right end of the new joining pin. It will cost $130-150. The alternative is to risk joining it with a wider 5.9mm link, like the SRAM 10 powerloc. Some people are doing that.

Velosmith
01-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks Guys.

Just ordered a Chorus group from EuroBike for $1250. I'm trying to do business "in country" right now. I know I paid slightly more, but maybe not when I factor shipping and 1% CC fees.

Velosmith
01-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Just got my Chorus 11 speed stuff in and built. Shifts seem to be crisp and very quick (traditional Campy feel). The correct setting for the front dr. is pretty fussy but seems to work well when you find the sweet spot.

The chain installation took longer to figure out than anything else on the build. Now that I understand how to use that overly confusing tool it will go faster next time.

The extra gear is nice and the range 12-27 will help in the mountains this year. The jury is still out but it seems great so far.

rustychain
02-01-2009, 07:20 AM
I have several thousand miles on my Super Record. I am pleased in all respects over my 10 speed Record. The costs of cassettes however is on the crazy side IMO and I will downgrade to Record and may pick up a Chorus cassette for winter. I got my SR back in September and the chain tool was unavailable at that time. The chain was installed with the older Campy tool and has worked fine but I still do not recommend anyone doing this. Hoods are much better for me and provide new hand positions. The shifting is faster to the point that I can shift in a sprint without feeling that I lost half a crank rotation if you know what I mean. I also think the new bearings are better then the older 10 speed cranks had. I had to replace them (10 speed outboard bearings) twice last season :crap:

DfCas
02-01-2009, 07:35 AM
What are the exact cogs used in the 11 speed 12-27 Campy cassette?

Dave
02-01-2009, 08:35 AM
What are the exact cogs used in the 11 speed 12-27 Campy cassette?

Straight block up to the 17, then 19-21-23-25-27.

Basically, every 10 speed cassette from last year, except the 11-25, has a large cog with two more teeth, added to it. I was disappointed that there was no 11-27. With a compact crank, missing the 16T is not as noticeable.