PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Steel derailleur hanger

chuckred
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Yesterday my chain got caught between the large sprocket and the spokes. Snapped the derailleur cage off, bent the hanger to about 45 degrees, snapped the chain (snapped the link, didn't just pull apart at the pin). The mounting bolt appears to have been pulled partially out of the threads as well.

The hanger has been bent before when I got hit from behind by another bike.

So, can they be bent back several times without failing? Can they be re-threaded if it's true that the bolt pulled out and stripped the threads?

Or, is it replacement or major welding time?

I really liked that bike...

gdw
01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
A steel dropout can be straightened several times without breaking if it isn't too badly damaged and the threads can be fixed with a dropout saver kit from Wheels Manufacturing in Broomfield.
http://wheelsmfg.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=502&Itemid=55
Veechios in Boulder should be able to do the repairs if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself.

Have you registered for the lottery yet?

chuckred
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Vechios is a great idea...

I assume you mean Leadville lottery - yep, just waiting for the check to clear or the card to show up. You?

David Kirk
01-18-2009, 10:45 PM
What brand frame and dropout is it? Hard to tell what can be done without knowing anything about it.

Dave

gdw
01-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Yup. I sent my payment in last week and need to make room reservations tomorrow. Good luck with the dropout. I hope it can be repaired but if not there are quite a few local framebuilders who probably could replace it for you.

chuckred
01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
What brand frame and dropout is it? Hard to tell what can be done without knowing anything about it.

Dave

I don't know what brand the dropout is, and I dropped the bike at my LBS for an initial assessment... Is that enough info to make an educated SWAG?

David Kirk
01-19-2009, 09:49 AM
If the threaded hole is stretched out it can be repaired but is more difficult. If the hole is good but the hanger is bent that is a very simple deal.

dave

chuckred
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
If the threaded hole is stretched out it can be repaired but is more difficult. If the hole is good but the hanger is bent that is a very simple deal.

dave

Thanks - the LBS thinks the threaded hole is stretched out - mentioned the drop out saver approach if that's the case. They're working on it now.

Just out of curiousity - what would have happened if this was on my carbon Ridley with a replaceable hanger - would it have taken the brunt of the damage and left the carbon frame "OK" (probably no way to know - but we were speculating about why all bikes don't come with replaceable hangers)...

David Kirk
01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks - the LBS thinks the threaded hole is stretched out - mentioned the drop out saver approach if that's the case. They're working on it now.

Just out of curiousity - what would have happened if this was on my carbon Ridley with a replaceable hanger - would it have taken the brunt of the damage and left the carbon frame "OK" (probably no way to know - but we were speculating about why all bikes don't come with replaceable hangers)...

Really hard to tell what would have happened. I've seen just the hanger damaged and I've seen the whole dropout get toasted.

dave

love007313
01-22-2009, 07:46 AM
这是新加的空白文章1,可以在ubb可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。

katematt
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
这是新加的空白文章1,可以在ubb可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。

Everyone knows that if the bike is steel the der. hanger will also be steel and therefore not replaceable.

Park alignment tool very good in this case, if not, a large monkey wrench can do the trick, although you may have to switch to friction shifting until properly done.

pdxmech13
01-22-2009, 11:35 PM
the replaceable derailleur hanger htat is found on most bikes was the worst idea in bicycle design over the last 15 years atmo.

chuckred
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
the replaceable derailleur hanger htat is found on most bikes was the worst idea in bicycle design over the last 15 years atmo.

Having bent about 5 on my MTB and now trashing one on my steel frame (which would have totalled an aluminum or carbon frame without a replaceable one, I assume)... are you saying that having a replaceable one is bad, or just that the way they are designed needs to be better?

pdxmech13
01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
both the reasons you mentioned. I have personally seen more damage done to derailleurs and frames since the replaceable hanger has developed. It was never a possibility to bend that area under a hard shift and know it is a reality. 99% of them are not even straight when manufactured and need to be aligned or other problems can arise. The few company's that have large bolt on rear dropouts ( Santa Cruz is one example) have the right idea but no reason to have this on a road bike and most other models.