PDA

View Full Version : OT: storing gasoline safely

Climb01742
01-18-2009, 05:57 AM
our new snowblower is really working out well. with all our snow so far this year, getting lots of practice using it. :crap: anywho, i got a good, safe gas can to refill it, but i was wondering: what's the safest way and place to store the gas can? i've never kept gas in the barn before. any safety tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

gemship
01-18-2009, 06:22 AM
I put gas in my shed. It's away from the house and not heated. As long as it
sealed, with a cap on the container so fumes won't escape or ignite then it should be good. I would also recommend that add stabilizer to the gas and run it thru your snowblower,it helps keep the gas fresh and from shellacking in the fuel system.

alancw3
01-18-2009, 07:14 AM
i agree with gemship. storing away from your main dwelling if at all possible. personally i like a metal can (glavanized steel) versus plasitc although i think they are getting harder to find and cost more. i feel they are stronger and more durable (less likely to get crushed and leak). i like the round cans that hold from 2.5 to 5 gallons.

one important thing even if you use stabilizer (good recommendation) is to run the gas tank empty or drain it (if drain then run gas out of carburator) at the end of the season. shellacking is a small engines worse enemy particuarly when you try to start next season.

rwsaunders
01-18-2009, 07:14 AM
sealed, with a cap on the container so fumes won't escape or ignite then it should be good. I would also recommend that add stabilizer to the gas and run it thru your snowblower,it helps keep the gas fresh and from shellacking in the fuel system.

+1...never in the house. If you don't have a shed. the stabilizer will help to store the fuel outside.

Climb01742
01-18-2009, 07:18 AM
thanks! ok,what the heck is stabilizer?? and where i can find it?? :beer:

rePhil
01-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Doesn't sound like you are used to storing gas? I am jealous. Assuming it's unleaded straight I suggest putting it in your car after the last use.
And as alancw suggests run the blower out of fuel before storing.

rwsaunders
01-18-2009, 07:26 AM
thanks! ok,what the heck is stabilizer?? and where i can find it?? :beer:

An auto parts store or the auto section of any Mart. It's basically a cold weather additive (alcohol) which minimizes the opportunity for the fuel to freeze...absorbs the water from condensation in the tank.

I'm getting ready to blow some snow right now....another 4" last night.

alancw3
01-18-2009, 07:28 AM
should be able to get at an auto supply store or for sure at an marine supply store like west marine. also perhaps where you bought the snow blower. i use to use it in boats. available for both gas and diesel engines. in your case get the gasoline formula. the brand i use to use was not compatible for both engines.

dekindy
01-18-2009, 07:54 AM

+1. My lawnmower/snowblower dealer says to put stabilizer in your lawnmower because gas will break down during that storage period.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Eagle-22214-STA-BIL-Stabilizer/dp/B000B68V6I
It has a self-measuring dispensing tube built-in to the container. I am sure you can find it at any store. Wal-mart, Target, automotive stores, quickstops. It is readily available in the midwest anyway.

Richard
01-18-2009, 07:59 AM
After a bout of shellacked failure to start, I installed a gas line cut off valve in my snow blower and lawn mower. After I am done with the machine, I shut off the fuel and let it burn dry. Have had no starting problems since. Also prevents the risk of the gas leaking from the tank to the floor if a float in the carb sticks.

thwart
01-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I own an 18 year old snowblower and lawn mower (both Honda).

Never used Stabil. Run the machines dry at the end of the season, and use the remaining gas for the car, or (since both are 4 cycle engines) just use it for the opposite season machine.

They've started on the first pull (knock on wood) at the beginning of the year consistently.

zap
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Additionally, I like run the engine every two-three months or so until it's good and hot.

RPS
01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Climb, I’m sure you already know this, but it’s worth repeating. Storing fuel in a certified container is relatively safe compared to all the people who get burned trying to refuel an engine that is running or is hot. Hopefully most people with common sense know enough not to try it. A friend of mine in high school was disfigured when a gas can ignited while trying to refuel a lawn mower, and more recently I read about a lot of people starting fires while trying to refuel generators during an extended power outage.

Where I live people don’t have barns so they store gasoline in the garage. As long as the container is certified for that application and is not placed in the close vicinity of an ignition source (water heater, furnace, light switch, or any electrical device) it should be OK. I’m not going to worry about a couple of gallons of gas in a tightly sealed container when the cars in the same garage have 30 gallons of the same fuel.

Rick