PDA

View Full Version : I must live under a rock!!

CarlosContreros
01-17-2009, 11:29 PM
What ever happened to Tinker Suarez...Ned Overend..and the crazy
pierced Cannondale chik that did "downhill" racing??

And my gosh!
I guess 'cause I've been riding my Mavic Open 4_CDs for the past 12 years I
never realized that wheelsets can now cost upwards of $3700.!!

What kind of a difference would a wheelset that costs $1200-$1500. going
to make??

Please forgive me....I'm going to go play with my new-fangled toy....
they call it a cell phone! :bike:

Jeff N.
01-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Ha! Good question. They just faded away.....Jeff N.

CarlosContreros
01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
What ever happened to Tinker Suarez...Ned Overend..and the crazy
pierced Cannondale chik that did "downhill" racing??

Wasn't it Missy Giove?

Wonder what ever happened to Mountain Bike racing?

It was big time once?????????

sn69
01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
He's a regular on the ultra-marathon mountain biking scene. Oh, and he thoroughly whooped my four man team as a soloist. Ned? Still races when the mood strikes him, although I did run into him once at a bagel shop early one morning. I was the only one who recognized him.

Missy? I'm assuming she's skankin' in the mosh pit somewhere, still cool, still marching to beat of her own drummer.

I miss the days when mountain biking was all retro-grouchy and not consumed with hopping off ledges and bombing downhill.

Others? What became of triathletes like Mike Pigg, Christian Bustos, and Karen Smyers (after her first come-back from cancer and the cut leg)? Somewhere at home I've still got the first Spinervals video with, among the likes of Keifel, Wendy Ingraham and Greg Welch, there's a VERY young Tyler Hamilton spinning in the background....

rePhil
01-18-2009, 08:38 AM
From the Boure newsletter:

"Ned Overend has added to his palmares with yet another Cyclocross National Championship in the Masters Men 50-54 Age Group."

jbay
01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Others? What became of triathletes like Mike Pigg, Christian Bustos, and Karen Smyers (after her first come-back from cancer and the cut leg)? I am happy to report that Karen obliterated the previous women's record in the Burke Mountain hill-climb in September.

-- John

false_Aest
01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Missy Giove retired in 2004... I think she was 32 or 33. I think she was riding for Foes when she retired.

Was repping for a spin company or something afterward.
----

What I really wanna know about is Brian Lopes. I know he still races but it seems that the dude just isn't mentioned anymore . . . . or maybe I'm just not in the right circle anymore.

rwsaunders
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.tinkerjuarez.com/schedule.htm

CarlosContreros
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
He's a regular on the ultra-marathon mountain biking scene. Oh, and he thoroughly whooped my four man team as a soloist. Ned? Still races when the mood strikes him, although I did run into him once at a bagel shop early one morning. I was the only one who recognized him.

You did RAAM this past year?

I have to wonder about Rob Kish....I used to see him on training rides
all the time....he'd start on the east coast of Florida and ride to the
other coast! :hello:

Just haven't heard if he's still active...I think he finished 9 or 10 of them!
I used to see him on the road and I'd wave and acknowledge another cyclist...but he wouldn't as much as "grunt" back! :mad:
From talking to people that know him well....they just say it takes a long
time to get to know him!
But geez I used to think...I would think Miquel Indurain if passing on the road
might at least recognize you as another biker!

PS....whatever happened to our very own "FIXED"?
miss his witty posts!! :beer:

mcteague
01-18-2009, 01:24 PM
What ever happened to Tinker Suarez :bike:

He changed his name to Tinker Juarez.

Tim

stackie
01-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Mike Pigg is a realtor in Eureka, California. Definitely out crushing the locals rides, but I'm not sure how much racing he is doing.

Jon

chuckred
01-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Saw him at 24 Hours of Moab. He pulled off a very respectible 2nd place. He passed me at the 18 hour mark on a tough sandy climb (I was walking, he wasn't....). He responded with a very cheerful (for the time of day and time he'd been on the bike at least) thank you when I gave him a "good job, Tinker" shout. he seems like a class guy.

bshell
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Brian Lopes races for Ibis. Check out the sick videos of him air born at ibiscycles.com

sn69
01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
You did RAAM this past year?

I have to wonder about Rob Kish....I used to see him on training rides
all the time....he'd start on the east coast of Florida and ride to the
other coast! :hello:

I did a couple of them, as a founding member of Team 2Cure HD. 2006 and 2007. I couldn't do it last year due to military committments, and the team is taking this year off due to the economy, costs and the difficulty of getting enough sponsorship and donation dollars to make the return on investment worth while. (And one of the other team member's spouse is developing more and more symptoms from HD; thus, he needs to be there for his family this year.) Hopefully we'll be back in 2010.

Yeah, Kish is still out there. As are the unbelievable Penseres brothers. Chris Kostman too, although he's focused on his own events these days.