PDA

View Full Version : Campy Euros vs. Shamal Tubulars

terrytnt
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Been seeing some really good price points on Campy Shamals recently. For anyone who has experienced both, aside from the bing factor, is there any significant difference between Euros and Shamals tubular wheels?

merckx
01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Where did you find Eurus tubs? They were discontinued after '06.

terrytnt
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Only seen prices on Shamals, I bought my Euros tubular the last year they were sold 06 and got them for half off ~$500.

But was curious about the Shamals...

merckx
01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
If I already had Eurus tubs on hand, I'd be inclined to pass over the Shamals. I don't have ANY experience with either, but some lateral stiffness tests show that the Eurus are higher, and the mass difference may not be a significant benefit. I would like to hear about ride experiences with the Shamal. How are your Eurus tubs?

terrytnt
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I love the Euros, very well built wheels (haven't needed to be trued over 12K). Easy to clean. I ask because my son wants to convert to tubulars (like his dad) and I thought I'd give him my Euros upgrade to Shamals.

Clearly they look cool, and yes probably somewhat lighter with carbon hubs, but probably not much noticeable difference in ride... I'm guessing.

tuscanyswe
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Where did you find Eurus tubs? They were discontinued after '06.

http://www.bikebuster.se/detaljer/260252.html

They state they are 07s but theve been sloppy b4 in similar fashion.

merckx
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
'07 catalogue does not list tubs.

spiderman
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
my wife has silver eurus tubulars
(purchased new for 500 in 06)
that i put on her bike just to see how she liked them
after i raved about them
and i haven't had a chance to use them since.
i bought an older set of tubular shamals last fall
for my new old stock platinum csi
(new old stock '05 shamals also for 500)
and felt that i had the eurus wheels back
although they are a little deeper.
the newer shamals
are probably equally nice and lighter
(if that is important to you).
which ever you can find cheaper
may get you 'set for life'...

terrytnt
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes... thanks spiderman. I think for all intents and purposes the Shamals are quite similar to Euros. Perhaps deeper set, definitely carbon hubs, more glitches, and somewhat lighter. But, more than likely a similar ride.