PDA

View Full Version : How long before filing a dispute with paypal?

joelh
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I bought a brooks saddle on ebay on the 5th. As of today, I have not received it. I contacted the seller and he told me to "chill, you know how the post office is". I'm thinking that at the 2 week mark, I should file with paypal. Am I being premature? Patience is not my strongest point.

John M
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
A couple of years ago, I got a set of shifters via eBay. Nothing for 17 days. Seller was very cool and refunded the money. Voila, the package shows up a few days later. Priority mail labeled, but looking like it had been run under a truck. Fortunately, no damage to the contents. I repaid the seller and all was good.

I'd say 3 weeks for USPS. When I ship, I always use a trackable method. It is good protection for both ends of the transaction.

mandasol
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
+ 1 for giving it more time and...
+ 1 for trackable shipping

If you ordered through ebay then you should've checked their history, and if the history is fine then you're probably fine.

Ken Robb
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
you would probably feel better if the seller had said "I mailed it on the 8th and I don't know why it's still not there let me check" rather than "chill" right?
Message senders too often don't consider how their words and attitudes will be heard by the message receivers ATMO.

maximus
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree with giving it more time. The USPS is notoriously slow. I just got over an extremely bad experience involving eBay, USPS and a pair of kysriums. If he mailed parcel post (cheapest) you have to give it at least 10 business days. Too bad you're seller isn't more assuring.

dsteady
01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
If you're worried about being conned, I seriously doubt that you are being conned for the price of a Brooks saddle. Most online scammers are doing it with big-ticket items. It happens a lot in the S/H hi-fi market. Probably your seller just took a few extra days getting his ass down to the post office. But that is the price of business on ebay.

legacysti888
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but Paypal states that you must file a claim within 45 days. I'm not sure if it's AFTER you receive the item or if you have not received it within that time period. Good luck.

joelh
01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
you would probably feel better if the seller had said "I mailed it on the 8th and I don't know why it's still not there let me check" rather than "chill" right?
Message senders too often don't consider how their words and attitudes will be heard by the message receivers ATMO.

I think you nailed it. Had the response sounded a little better, I would probably be a bit cooler about things. I don't think I am being conned, but I suspect he may have waited a couple of days to mail it. i don't understand why anyone would send something that isn't trackable. The seller stands to loose more than the buyer.

jt2gt
01-17-2009, 10:15 PM
A couple of years ago, I got a set of shifters via eBay. Nothing for 17 days. Seller was very cool and refunded the money. Voila, the package shows up a few days later. Priority mail labeled, but looking like it had been run under a truck. Fortunately, no damage to the contents. I repaid the seller and all was good.

I'd say 3 weeks for USPS. When I ship, I always use a trackable method. It is good protection for both ends of the transaction.

Now that is a good seller.

I ordered something from overseas...waited two weeks, nothing. E-mailed seller and he said he would take care of it. E-mailed him every week for about four more weeks. I told him to ship me another one and if the first showed up, I would ship it back or refund my money and if it showed I would repay. Never heard another thing back from him since his first reply. So I filed my dispute...got my money back and of course had an e-mail from him saying how I ruined a good family business...unbelievable...but at least I got my funds back. I made every attempt on my end to work it out.

I would say wait four weeks or so.

JT

ents
01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
ive orderd things before and theyve come in 2 days
one time something from nashbar was in my sort facility for 15 business days before being delivered

so wait, it might be the one time it takes for ever

ksroadie
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
As mandasol said, with seller good feedback history you're probably okay. But can't hurt to contact Paypal with your concerns (don't have to file a dispute just yet), if only to establish a written record should there be a real problem.