PDA

View Full Version : OT: Donating bikes for kids

Elefantino
11-28-2004, 04:17 PM
At our church, like many, we have a "giving tree." You pick a decoration, which is a card that lists a gift for an underpriviledged boy/girl, man/woman, age.

For the second straight year, I looked for and chose "bike" (this time for a girl, 5).

Question: Where would you buy said bike? You can get a kids' bike at Wal-Mart for dirt cheap. Or you can pay a C-note or more at the LBS. The disparity between other items (such as a helmet, which I always purchase with the bikes) is similar.

Us? A Giant "Pudd'n" model at the LBS. Most of the other bikes thus far are Wally's.

WWYD?

Rapid Tourist
11-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Why not split the difference. Go back to said tree, pick up another card that asks for a bike for a kid, and buy two bikes from Wal-mart for what you would pay for the Giant.

For a five year old, I'd say the bike is not going to fit long enough for the kid to wear out the parts, so the difference in quality between the W-M and the Giant will most likely not benefit the kid. Give two bikes if you can afford the Giant, and thrill two kids rather than one. :D

Don
11-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I fully agree with Rapid Tour's assessment of the situation. Our local bike club donates a large number of bikes at holiday time to the less fortunate. Wall Mart, K-Mart, etc. have been helpful to us by :) supplying the most for the dollar. We take advatage of this to make as many kids as possible "smile."

Bill Bove
11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm with Rapid Tourist and I own a bike shop. Any bike will thrill a kid, so why not spread it around.