PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for the Triangle

rnhood
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
The Spin Cycle, a landmark bike shop and Serotta dealer, is closing their doors. Its sad as well as being a shock(to me anyway). No doubt the economy played a role in this but, they have historically been such a strong shop I suspect there are other reasons too. Doesn't matter at this point though. I just hate to see it happen.

The people in this store were some of the finest and most helpful biking people I have known. They were always very active leading club rides - virtually every day of the week. Matt would certainly have to rank as one of the best fitters and mechanics in the country. I wish the best for the entire staff there and, hope they find jobs in the biking industry and in this immediate area. We don't need to lose people like these.

joelh
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Hate to hear this. I much preferred them the the other bicycle chain (pun intended).

I also really like Cycles do Oro in Greensboro.

ThirtyEast
01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I know those guys but have been out of touch for a couple years.
Is this closure economically motivated or otherwise?

mvanhorn
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I am sorry to hear that they are closing. I rode a Serotta for the first time at the Spin Cycle, and of course had to have one of my own.

Mark

LegendRider
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
The Bicycle Link in Atlanta has also closed. It was the leading Serotta dealer in Atlanta (and probably the Southeast) for many years. Sadly, another victim of the economy...

Pete Serotta
01-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Kevan, Matt and the team at Spin Cycle were among the best, not just in the Triangle. It is a sad time for them and for the cyclist in the area.

I wish them nothing but the best....

They were about 30 miles from where I live and over the past years I very seldom got over there BUT when I did it was like seeing old friends.....

:( very vary sad to get this news yesterday.

BumbleBeeDave
01-17-2009, 08:06 AM
. . . maybe it was here? . . . that the first three months of this year are going to see quite a few retailers--including many LBS--going under. They ordered inventory on credit for the X-mas season and now those bills are coming due. If their holiday sales did not measure up ,then, well . . . they're gone.

When I was down in Raleigh in November Pete took me by the Spin Cycle as he gave me a tour of the area. Well-stocked, attractive shop with VERY nice people there. It's indeed a shame and I hope the folks there land on their feet somewhere better.

BBD